14 replies to this topic

#1 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

http://news.yahoo.co... ... 10615.html

If this is too political, please delete, Chris. Just thought it was interesting.
  • Don Quixote likes this

#2 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

The only way for this to happen in Congress, is if DC or another territory becomes a state at the same time IMO. Congress is so polarized, I don't see it happening anytime soon even if Puerto Rico votes to become a state.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#3 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

Wait a second, I want to tack on a rider to that bill – $30 million of taxpayer money to support the perverted arts.
  • DuffMan likes this

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

The only way for this to happen in Congress, is if DC or another territory becomes a state at the same time IMO. Congress is so polarized, I don't see it happening anytime soon even if Puerto Rico votes to become a state.

That will be the first step, though. A step that will start the debate and possibly start a push for somewhere else to do the same--the Marianas and Guam, perhaps?

#5 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

It's a bit ironic that this country's rallying cry to become independent was "No taxation without representation," yet that treatment is allowed to this day, even within the original territory of the United States (DC).

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

It's a bit ironic that this country's rallying cry to become independent was "No taxation without representation," yet that treatment is allowed to this day, even within the original territory of the United States (DC).

Not to turn this poltical, but I think we all know why "taxation without representation" exists. If Utah were a federal "city" many would be against their statehood as well.

Personally, I like the 100 number for the Senate but still it's baffling.
@levineps

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

Since the original Virginia grant was taken back in the 1850s, maybe the government should consider giving the district back to Maryland. It could have the same status as Baltimore as an independent city, and much of the actual governing could be taken out of federal hands and put back in those from local and state.

The question is, would Maryland accept it? Between the headaches from a transition, and the fact that the city itself is essentially a mirror image of Baltimore, I could see the state saying no.

#8 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

Not to turn this poltical, but I think we all know why "taxation without representation" exists. If Utah were a federal "city" many would be against their statehood as well.

Personally, I like the 100 number for the Senate but still it's baffling.

Actually I'm not sure what you're referring to.

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

Actually I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Washington is a city run directly (essentially) by the federal government. So they are in a completely unique position compared to the states.

#10 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

Washington is a city run directly (essentially) by the federal government. So they are in a completely unique position compared to the states.

Yes, but I'm not sure what that has to do with his first line unless he was simply stating that it's not a state. I thought he may be implying something a tad bit less obvious.

I think DC should clearly have representation as should all territories.

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

Yes, but I'm not sure what that has to do with his first line unless he was simply stating that it's not a state. I thought he may be implying something a tad bit less obvious.

I think DC should clearly have representation as should all territories.

Think about the political ideology of each place, that's all this is about at this point in denying statehood.
@levineps

#12 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

Think about the political ideology of each place, that's all this is about at this point in denying statehood.

OK. Good point. Absurd nonetheless.

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

OK. Good point. Absurd nonetheless.

I'm trying to avoid being political here. ;)
@levineps

#14 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:11 PM

I'm trying to avoid being political here. ;)

Well this is a political conversation that very few care about outside of the affected places. It's not some hot button topic.

I'm talking more from a philosophical and historical point of view for whatever that's worth.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,312 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

To be clear, I think the discussion has been fine. I also think it is interesting to follow. I remember the last time there was a vote for this.

If they become the 51st State, I'll gladly reopen as I would think that would be something to be celebrated by all Americans (which Puerto Ricans are btw).

That said, I don't see how this discussion can continue without being political. I'm very intent on not having political discussions on this board. Mainly because I want this to be a sports board and a place people come as a fun diversion. I find that all political discussions just deteriorate quickly, and I'm just not interested in housing those debates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=