174 replies to this topic

#161 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:53 AM

Next year could go a long ways towards dispelling this notion, but I have a strong suspicion that all the good things that have happened under Turgeon were largely due to Melo Trimble.  Turgeon obviously gets credit for getting him to come here and for the good things that happened while he was, but we've never made the tournament without Melo since Turgeon has been here.  That's foul non-Melo years, all NIT or worse (assuming this year doesn't turn around significantly).  Three Melo years #6 seed or better.

Some of those early years can go on Gary a bit, especially the first year.  But things went backwards between his 2nd and 3rd seasons before Melo got here in Year 4.

Gary's last 7 years, he went to 3 tournaments.  In Turgeon's 7 years, he's been to 3 tournaments.  Many people wanted Gary gone by the end, a legend with a Hall of Fame resume.  If 3/7 is a bad enough rate to force someone as credentialed as Gary out the door, then it's certainly enough to get rid of a disappointment like Turgeon without the long history of success to make you think the recent bad spell might be more of an anomaly than business as usual.

#162 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:00 PM

So what?

It's been clear, even in MD's better season's under Turgeon they weren't a legit threat and wouldn't have looked so good on paper in a good conference. Easily predictable, but Turgeon has yet to win a big Tournament game since he's been here.

Depending on what you call legit threat....I think they were a legit threat in Melo's freshman year. Dez Wells elevated his game. They just ran into that WVU team that plays a style of D that Turgeon can't beat. (still can't believe this idiot ran point at Kansas for Larry Brown). If they won that game they were facing undefeated Kentucky in the Sweet 16. That team IIRC also beat Michigan State 2 out of 3 times. A MSU team that went to the final 4. 

It's the most legit team he's had. Gifted a sweet 16 trip after that, somehow got into the dance when they had no business even being a 6 seed last year. Underdog to the 11 seed. LOL. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#163 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,557 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:09 PM

So, what in the regular season matters to you that the team isn’t doing?

Not ignoring you. Mack covered it.

#164 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,557 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:10 PM

Depending on what you call legit threat....I think they were a legit threat in Melo's freshman year. Dez Wells elevated his game. They just ran into that WVU team that plays a style of D that Turgeon can't beat. (still can't believe this idiot ran point at Kansas for Larry Brown). If they won that game they were facing undefeated Kentucky in the Sweet 16. That team IIRC also beat Michigan State 2 out of 3 times. A MSU team that went to the final 4.

It's the most legit team he's had. Gifted a sweet 16 trip after that, somehow got into the dance when they had no business even being a 6 seed last year. Underdog to the 11 seed. LOL.

Could buy into that. Still, sad for the teams to have gotten worse since then.

#165 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,557 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:18 PM

Rob, what you really want to say is MD fans have no business demanding better than what we've gotten under Turgeon. That's what has me a bit on edge. I couldn't possibly disagree more with that sentiment than I already do. Seems to be a popular one among non-MD fans. Apologies if that isn't what you think.

#166 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:28 PM

Saw a stat. Turge is 0-15vs ranked teams on the road in his career. His avg loss in those games is by 15 points.

#167 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

Rob, what you really want to say is MD fans have no business demanding better than what we've gotten under Turgeon. That's what has me a bit on edge. I couldn't possibly disagree more with that sentiment than I already do. Seems to be a popular one among non-MD fans. Apologies if that isn't what you think.

Yea, you couldn’t be more completely off in your thoughts here.

MD should be a S16 or better program. I don’t think it will ever be the elite program so many MD fans think it should be but it should be better than what it has been.

But again, that’s not my point. I stand by what I said. Poor OoC schedule or not...they aren’t going to bring in a coach who will win more consistently than Turgeon has
And when you get rid of him and you bring in the next coach, I believe that will be proven.

I’m talking regular season only. The reason, Imo, to get the new coach is because the postseason results aren’t there.

Btw, the talk of in game adjustments, etc...should make you guys appreciate Gary that much more. He was such a good in game coach.

#168 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:38 PM

Saw a stat. Turge is 0-15vs ranked teams on the road in his career. His avg loss in those games is by 15 points.

How much of that occurred when he was with the mid major program?

#169 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,557 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

I think most of that's MD.

Yes, I miss Gary's coaching ability quite a lot. He could've done a lot with the talent in this program over the past few years. Then again, he sort of lost his desire to relate to college kids later in his career so not like it matters.

#170 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:42 PM

How much of that occurred when he was with the mid major program?

I doubt many. I mean yeah there have been times hes gone to UNC or Duke or Mich St and lost a game he was supposed to lose. There have also been games where hes the higher ranked team and lost. Either way its telling. Especially losing by an avg of 15 ppints. I doubt is home record vs ranked teams is anything great either.

#171 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

You cant just erase his 3 ACC seasons. He hasnt won 80 % of his conference games here. And give it a few more seasons and it wont be close to 80% in the B10 either.

#172 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:03 PM

Went back and did the research on his record vs. ranked teams.

Overall: 8-27

Home: 6-8

Away: 0-15

Neutral: 2-5

ACC: 4-16

Home: 4-6

Away: 0-7

Neutral: 1-4

B1G: 4-11

Home: 3-4

Away: 0-8

Neutral: 1-1

@BSLZackKiesel

#173 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,698 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:06 PM

He sucks. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#174 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,698 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:06 PM

Did KA hire Randy Edsall?  Yes, right?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#175 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:19 PM

MD should be a S16 or better program. I don’t think it will ever be the elite program so many MD fans think it should be but it should be better than what it has been.

Should be better. But this is the same same state that basically looks at success now as "at least we're not the Browns". Seriously. In all sports here, .500 or a tick better is considered good enough. Bunch of sissys with no balls in this state. 

Going back to 1994 Arkansas, every team than wins a national championship is an elite school......except one. That's one big reason they should be an elite school. It's probably a problem at a level higher than the coaches. The AD's seem clueless, they don't even really have one. Loh seems like a dolt. Said and done some stupid things. 

@BSLMikeRandall

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=