• Please log in to reply
848 replies to this topic

#101 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,289 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:46 AM

CBS Sports: The toughest and weakest college football nonconference schedule strengths in 2018
https://www.cbssport...engths-in-2018/

#102 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,336 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:13 AM

And therein lies the "success" of the SEC. Get ranked high preseason. Pack your schedule with weak teams especially at home. Never leave the south. Win early and solidify your top 10 rankings. Then get to conference play undefeated so that when you do lose you have the built in excuse "that they lost to ranked team."  Rinse and repeat.

Most interesting data point in the entire article. Fro this season there are a total of only 19 games in the entire country where a P5 team plays an away game at a G5 team. The year Auburn won the MNT they had 8 home games and 4 on the road. Stacked deck??

Certainly the P5 teams play tougher schedules but its not like there aren't a bunch of P5 teams that year in and year out wouldn't get smashed by some of the top G5 programs.

#103 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:16 AM

And therein lies the "success" of the SEC. Get ranked high preseason. Pack your schedule with weak teams especially at home. Never leave the south. Win early and solidify your top 10 rankings. Then get to conference play undefeated so that when you do lose you have the built in excuse "that they lost to ranked team." Rinse and repeat.

Most interesting data point in the entire article. Fro this season there are a total of only 19 games in the entire country where a P5 team plays an away game at a G5 team. The year Auburn won the MNT they had 8 home games and 4 on the road. Stacked deck??

Certainly the P5 teams play tougher schedules but its not like there aren't a bunch of P5 teams that year in and year out wouldn't get smashed by some of the top G5 programs.

A lot of programs schedule less and less road games. And Auburn still won the big games, which doesn't seem to factor into your soap box here. I do get your point about this all, but I think you take it too far, to the point of not realizing that the SEC definitely has the most talent, and therefore the best teams.

#104 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:52 AM

Just once I’d like Alabama to play at Boise, beat them by 30, so we can move on from this.
  • SportsGuy likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#105 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,336 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:45 PM

I never said BSU could beat Alabama although I sure would have liked to see the 2010 and 2011 teams to have gotten a shot. However, if you can arrange it Pedro please do and I'll take the 30. Remember not too many years ago when Utah was in the MWC and people said the exact same thing. Oh ask Alabama how that game turned out! 

Hey I spend half the year in SEC country. I know plenty about the talent level they have down there and it great but some media, especially CBS acts like the only football worth a crap is in the SEC and that is flat wrong. The top tier teams of the SEC are generally among the top teams in the country no question. But there are some pretty big dogs in there too.

If you want to do some honest evaluation go back over the last 10 years or so and look at the preseason rankings and compare those to the end of season rankings. Check out how many SEC teams have been ranked in the top 10-15 preseason and then end up not even in the top 25 year end. 

#106 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:48 PM

Because they beat each other up and fall out of the rankings. It's part of the deal in a conference that stacked.

#107 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:40 AM

I never said BSU could beat Alabama although I sure would have liked to see the 2010 and 2011 teams to have gotten a shot. However, if you can arrange it Pedro please do and I'll take the 30. Remember not too many years ago when Utah was in the MWC and people said the exact same thing. Oh ask Alabama how that game turned out! 

Hey I spend half the year in SEC country. I know plenty about the talent level they have down there and it great but some media, especially CBS acts like the only football worth a crap is in the SEC and that is flat wrong. The top tier teams of the SEC are generally among the top teams in the country no question. But there are some pretty big dogs in there too.

If you want to do some honest evaluation go back over the last 10 years or so and look at the preseason rankings and compare those to the end of season rankings. Check out how many SEC teams have been ranked in the top 10-15 preseason and then end up not even in the top 25 year end. 

Oh you mean the game that Alabama didn't care about because they lost to Florida in the SEC title game and lost a chance at a title?

Gotcha. 

@bopper33

#108 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:48 AM

Heard today that since the CFP started, 10 of the 16 teams were ranked top 5 preseason.

The preseason rankings come out today.

#109 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,336 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:21 AM

Oh you mean the game that Alabama didn't care about because they lost to Florida in the SEC title game and lost a chance at a title?

Gotcha.

Another one of my favorite excuses......I will grant you there is some merit to that when it comes to meaningless bowl games. But at the end of the day its still an excuse.

#110 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:14 PM

Another one of my favorite excuses......I will grant you there is some merit to that when it comes to meaningless bowl games. But at the end of the day its still an excuse.

An excuse that you admit has some merit to it

@bopper33

#111 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:15 PM

Utah had everything to be fired up for that game. A chance to go toe to toe with the SEC as a, then, G5 school.

Alabama couldn’t have been less interested.

@bopper33

#112 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:26 PM

I don't like the excuse either.  Take some pride and go out and play the game you are picked for.  You are still representing your university.

I also think its a convenient excuse to use when your team looks uninterested.

Now, all of that being said, it still seems to happen at least one big bowl game a year and it likely has validity even if it is ridiculous.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#113 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 01:34 PM

Are we doing this again?

Should we add some voters like SG who follow the sport?

The AP poll is out today, so are we doing a preseason poll?

In case we are here is my ballot:

1.  Alabama

2.  Clemson

3.  Georgia

4.  Ohio State

5.  Wisconsin

6.  Washington

7.  Oklahoma

8.  Michigan

9.  Notre Dame

10.  Auburn

11.  Penn State

12.  Michigan State

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeLowe like this

@bopper33

#114 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,289 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:11 AM

That's a decision for Mike Lowe.  Who has been back some with the MD news, but is dealing with some loss.
I'll let him respond.

#115 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,289 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:11 AM

The Ringer: Three Takeaways From the 2018 Preseason College Football Top 25

#116 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,289 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:18 AM

CBS Sports: College football rankings: Five takeaways from the 2018 preseason AP Top 25 poll
https://www.cbssport...ap-top-25-poll/

CBS Sports: 2018 Big 12 expert picks: Overrated, underrated teams and predicted order of finish
https://www.cbssport...rder-of-finish/

CBS Sports: Candid Coaches: Who are the most overrated and underrated college football coaches?
https://www.cbssport...otball-coaches/

#117 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:19 PM

That's a decision for Mike Lowe.  Who has been back some with the MD news, but is dealing with some loss.
I'll let him respond.

Ah I didn't know he was going through some tough times.

I have zero issues collecting the votes and tallying everything up, but I know as much about computer graphics as Randall does about gambling, so no chance I could put those fancy images together like he did last year. 

@bopper33

#118 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:30 AM

Definitely want to do this again. For those who weren't around last season we do our own college football poll. Rank your Top 12 teams each week, votes are due in by Monday night, and I'll make the thread where you post them. It's open to anyone and everyone, I just ask that you stick with it for the season. It skews the results if someone only votes sporadically.

I can take care of all the tabulations and graphics. Who else is in? Really need at least 5 people to make it worthwhile.

• BSLChrisStoner and Pedro Cerrano like this

#119 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,289 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:33 AM

Jim Johnson has declined. I've asked CT.

Last year in addition to those two, Mike Lowe, and Pedro....  there was Steve, Zack, and Ricker.

Zack is on vacation this week, but I can confidently say he's in.

I'd prefer not to be, but will if we don't have at-least 5.

I'll look for a couple of others.

#120 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:34 AM

Im down.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic