390 replies to this topic

#381 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:05 AM

It’s a fan killer loss. Pushes people even further away. I couldn’t imagine being there yesterday with all the factors that kept people away and then lose like that. I think I would’ve canceled whatever NYE plans I had and just gone to bed at 11. Shit I wanted to do that last night and I was in NYC.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#382 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:12 PM

I bet that a lot of people that were going to celebrate NYE in Baltimore after that game...opted to stay in their rooms or stay home instead. The cold weather probably made things -extra- cold.

#383 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:44 PM

I bet that a lot of people that were going to celebrate NYE in Baltimore after that game...opted to stay in their rooms or stay home instead. The cold weather probably made things -extra- cold.

If it's comparable to college, I think people actually go out and get more drunk after a crushing loss.

#384 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:03 AM

I have been going to football games for many years.  I have missed just one Raven Home game since they got here, and before that, was a Colt Season ticket holder.  I have probably attended over 500  College and NFL games and Sunday was one of the coldest I can remember.

Sunday  was a  gut punch to say the least, but in no way will it make me stop going to games.  With all due respect, I get tired of hearing all the excuses for not going.  The protest, cold weather, flex times, hate Joe Flacco, team stinks...etc.  Frankly if you are staying away, IMO, it is because the Ravens have spoiled us for years and now when times are harder, the band wagon guys jump off.

I think there were probably about 45 K there on Sunday, and most stayed.  Those 45 K rocked  the place the second half.   I was actually embarrassed about the turn out, but told my son, to look around you  are seeing the most die hard fans.  We walked out at the final whistle, and we  were freezing, but I would do it again today.

• Hooded Viper and JordanKough like this
@mikeghg

#385 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:21 AM

I have been going to football games for many years. I have missed just one Raven Home game since they got here, and before that, was a Colt Season ticket holder. I have probably attended over 500 College and NFL games and Sunday was one of the coldest I can remember.
Sunday was a gut punch to say the least, but in no way will it make me stop going to games. With all due respect, I get tired of hearing all the excuses for not going. The protest, cold weather, flex times, hate Joe Flacco, team stinks...etc. Frankly if you are staying away, IMO, it is because the Ravens have spoiled us for years and now when times are harder, the band wagon guys jump off.

I think there were probably about 45 K there on Sunday, and most stayed. Those 45 K rocked the place the second half. I was actually embarrassed about the turn out, but told my son, to look around you are seeing the most die hard fans. We walked out at the final whistle, and we were freezing, but I would do it again today.

Oh good, the ole, you suck if you don't go to games schtick. Not everyone has the same good fortunes to even be able to afford an NFL game at the ridiculous prices that are out there. And it has nothing to do with being a spoiled fanbase. Going to games just isn't what it used to be.

#386 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:28 AM

Oh good, the ole, you suck if you don't go to games schtick. Not everyone has the same good fortunes to even be able to afford an NFL game at the ridiculous prices that are out there. And it has nothing to do with being a spoiled fanbase. Going to games just isn't what it used to be.

I didn't get that at all.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#387 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:34 AM

I didn't get that at all.

"I get tired of all the excuses for not going"

Sorry, but I don't need an excuse for not going. Not trying to be edgy here or an ass; just my opinion.

#388 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:38 AM

Sorry, but I don't need an excuse for not going. Not trying to be edgy here or an ass; just my opinion.

Eh. Nothing to get upset about.

And as for your comment about the prices, tickets were well below face value for Ravens games this year. The money issue doesn't really count. I understand why people don't want to go, but if we continue to walk down this path, it could end with Baltimore losing another football team.

People need to go to the games. But it's on the team to do more to get people motivated to come out.

#389 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:40 AM

Eh. Nothing to get upset about.

And as for your comment about the prices, tickets were well below face value for Ravens games this year. The money issue doesn't really count. I understand why people don't want to go, but if we continue to walk down this path, it could end with Baltimore losing another football team.

People need to go to the games. But it's on the team to do more to get people motivated to come out.

Not everyone makes 6 figures household... Not everyone makes $40k. And I'm not upset, I just don't agree at all with that line of thinking.

And agreed, attendance is on the FO, not on us. I accept zero responsibility for their season, even having been to only a single game this year.

I will say, if I lived closer and if my stomach still allowed me to pound 20 beers in the tailgate lot, I'd probably still go to a ton of games. I really do miss it.

#390 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:41 AM

I think you need a good excuse for not going if you purchased tickets and have them in your hands and decide not to go.  I don't own Ravens tickets, but I feel shameful when I don't use the O's or Terps tickets that I own.  Occasionally they go to waste because things get in the way or I just don't feel like going.  How good the team is definitely plays a part in hoe eager I am to push those other things to the side in order to get to a game.

I agree with you that fandom shouldn't be tied to your ability to purchase tickets.  I think it does correlate a little bit to your desire to use tickets that you already have purchased and presumably wanted to use at some point.  It's also more than fine to simply prefer to watch from home.  It's a far better way to actually observe the intricacies of the gameplay, being there is all about atmosphere and being a small part of the action.

#391 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:56 AM

That is my view, if you don't agree, fine, but your last statement kind of says it all.  The games are not what they used to be....maybe it is because the team is not what it used to be.

As for the schtick, frankly all the excuses not to go have become part of the schtick.  I listen to the talk shows, and in some strnge way, it has become a badge of honor not to go.

@mikeghg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=