HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:56 AM

Fan or no?

If yes, Rum, Whiskey, Bourbon, Vodka?

The Ringer: In Praise of Eggnog, Which Is Good

Yes. Brandy, dash of cinnamon, dash of nutmeg.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#3 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:09 PM

Nope. Yuck.

#4 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:21 PM

Hard pass. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:24 PM

Never had it...sounds disgusting to me.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:43 PM

I like in small doses.  Couple of glasses during Dec.

I've typically liked rum based ones best.

Had a good whiskey one yesterday.

Galway Bay: Irish Eggnog

http://www.irisheggnog.com/

#7 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:48 PM

I love it. I don’t get the hate.
  • DuffMan likes this

@fuzydunlop

#8 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:28 PM

I love it. I don’t get the hate.

Same. I mean, if you don't like it, fine. But this just seems like another of those pointless arguments that gets passed around the Internet and so everyone needs to have a strong take.

So, to reiterate, I think egg nog is absolutely a Christmas movie.

@DJ_McCann

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:30 PM

Fan or no?

Yes.

If yes, Rum, Whiskey, Bourbon, Vodka? 

Yes.

@DJ_McCann

#10 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:49 PM

Drank more this year than ever before. Bought the Pennsylvania Dutch brand. Pretty good.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#11 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:17 AM

594509.jpg?b64lines=CiAnVGlzIHRoZSBzZWFz

My thoughts on this great drink!

• BSLChrisStoner, DJ MC and Don Quixote like this

#12 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:19 AM

I'll drink it N/A.  Southern Comfort makes a great one, their vanilla spice is tasty as well.  Tried a new brand this year I found at Target.  Might've been Green Valley?  This was a creamier nog but damn good.

If I'm adding booze it will be Whiskey or Brandy

• Don Quixote likes this

#13 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:25 PM

Sounds crazy. But if there are any High's convenient stores left, their brand was the best egg nog. 

• Don Quixote likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#14 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:42 PM

The best kind is the kind you make at home..;. the trick is to use the recipe from *the original* Joy of Cooking... they healh-i-fied the recipe in the newer editions, which is why you need an old one...

Once you find the original recipe, remember to cut the booze in half... or maybe cut it 2/3.... if you don't do that, you're gonna be on your ass in no time...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#15 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:49 PM

The best kind is the kind you make at home..;. the trick is to use the recipe from *the original* Joy of Cooking... they healh-i-fied the recipe in the newer editions, which is why you need an old one...

Once you find the original recipe, remember to cut the booze in half... or maybe cut it 2/3.... if you don't do that, you're gonna be on your ass in no time...

Why else would you drink Egg Nog though?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#16 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:01 PM

Sounds crazy. But if there are any High's convenient stores left, their brand was the best egg nog. 

My dad's egg nog "recipe" is essentially a gallon of High's egg nog + a gallon (really, three quarts using two 1.5q containers) of High's egg nog ice cream. Plus some other things. And a bunch of alcohol.

Has to be High's. We've had trouble finding it over the past few years (the ice cream especially seems to sell out quick) and he gets upset if he has to use, like, Turkey Hill or something else.

• Mike in STL likes this
@DJ_McCann

#17 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:02 PM

Julia Child called; she said, "Quit being a wuss."

@DJ_McCann

#18 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:52 AM

giphy.gif

I miss it. It's shameful that there aren't any High's stores left on the Western Shore south of Deale. The Southern Maryland ones getting supplanted by 7-Elevens back when was bullshit. Come to think of it, I should have some of the folks from up north bring some nog and ice cream down for the second wave of Christmas celebrations we're having this weekend.

I don't spike the nog; to me it tastes much better without alcohol, but then again I have a sweet tooth that's hell to curb. Kroger has some okay nog (they have different types - regular, vanilla, pumpkin, at least, of which I've had the first two), and the Southern Comfort ones are also pretty good. (My parents have been known to freeze cartons of the Southern Comfort for use at other times of the year - actually turns out all right.) I haven't had Turkey Hill in awhile, but if memory serves it's probably okay, too. I would get the Wegmans nog, but damn, it's expensive - at least $8 for a half-gallon...rich in more ways than one. As far as pre-done alcoholic nog, my in-laws will generally get either Pennsylvania Dutch or Old New England - probably whichever is cheaper at the time.

• DuffMan and Mike in STL like this

#19 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:02 AM

giphy.gif

I miss it. It's shameful that there aren't any High's stores left on the Western Shore south of Deale. The Southern Maryland ones getting supplanted by 7-Elevens back when was bullshit. Come to think of it, I should have some of the folks from up north bring some nog and ice cream down for the second wave of Christmas celebrations we're having this weekend.

I don't spike the nog; to me it tastes much better without alcohol, but then again I have a sweet tooth that's hell to curb. Kroger has some okay nog (they have different types - regular, vanilla, pumpkin, at least, of which I've had the first two), and the Southern Comfort ones are also pretty good. (My parents have been known to freeze cartons of the Southern Comfort for use at other times of the year - actually turns out all right.) I haven't had Turkey Hill in awhile, but if memory serves it's probably okay, too. I would get the Wegmans nog, but damn, it's expensive - at least $8 for a half-gallon...rich in more ways than one. As far as pre-done alcoholic nog, my in-laws will generally get either Pennsylvania Dutch or Old New England - probably whichever is cheaper at the time.

There's a High's like a mile from my house in New Market.

#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:21 AM

That High's likes to bend you over with their ridiculous fuel prices.
  • NewMarketSean likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=