• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:31 PM

The best things coming out of the Baltimore Ravens second preseason game (a 27-12 loss to the Detroit Lions) are that there did not appear to be any significant injuries, and the team moved one step closer to the beginning of the regular season.

The Good:

1) The Ravens first offensive series started with Flacco and Williams connecting for a 1st down with a slant over the middle. Using the 'sugar huddle' the drive continued, with Flacco finding Boldin for another 1st.

2) Great special teams play on Koch's first punt. Strong coverage showed again, on a Koch punt in the middle of the 3rd.

3) Kemoeatu got through, and provided the Lions with a 5 yard loss on Detroit's first offensive series.

4) Baltimore's 2nd offensive series had a nice inside screen to Rice. On 3rd and 5, Flacco found Boldin for another Ravens 1st down. The drive continued when Flacco found Williams on the sideline, for Williams' 2nd catch and another 1st, as Williams made a good play on the ball. Running up the middle, Rice made a couple of strong runs to pick up another 1st. Overall, the 2nd drive went 11 plays and covered 60 yards.

5) Kruger made a play in pass coverage on 3rd and 2, getting outside to knock down a pass.

6) Backed-up close to their goal-line on their 3rd possession, Flacco found Leach as the outlet receiver, picking up 15 yards. On the very next play, Jones flashed his speed rushing for 35 yards. Pearce had a couple of good carries, staying low to the ground and moving forward 6 yards. That was followed by a 7 yard gain, bringing the Ravens to the Detroit 31.

7) Baltimore out-gained the Lions in the 1st Quarter 139-45.

8) Tucker put the Ravens up 6-0, with his 50 yard FG in the 2nd Quarter. Late in the 4th, Tucker hit his 2nd attempt, this time from 45 yards.

9) Flacco was 7 for 12 for 79 yards. He looked good, and would have had even better numbers had his receivers come down with a couple of other make-able catches.

10) McClain made a strong tackle on a Kevin Smith reception in the open field.

11) Billick on the FOX telecast did a good job illustrating the Ravens (and their new Defensive Coordinator Dean Pees) disguising coverage in the 2nd Quarter.

12) On Taylor's 2nd series under Center, he found Doss over the middle for 15 yards. Taylor followed that with an 11 yard run of his own. Rainey continued to impress with a couple of positive plays. (He finished with 4 catches for 20 yards.) You like how Rainey keeps his legs moving, and can cause people to miss.
12a) Taylor had 7 carries for 60 yards, at-least showing something positive with his legs.

13) Having seen Tucker hit from 50 yards out, Cundiff knocked home a 44 yard FG of his own with about 5:30 left in the 2nd Quarter.

14) Berry had an 11 yard rush in the 3rd. He also had 6 catches for 59 yards.

15) Asa Jackson's 85 yard PR for a TD was wiped out by penalty, but for the 2nd straight game; Jackson showed some big play ability.

16) I thought Upshaw showed some positives, particularly against the run.

17) After picking up 3 turnovers in the preseason opener against Atlanta, Omar Brown recovered a fumble in the 4th Quarter tonight. The fumble was caused by Christian Thompson. Then later in the 4th, O. Brown recovered the onside kick. That is a lot of 'finding the ball' in two weeks for Brown.

18) Deonte Thompson had a 42 yard KR.

19) Painter came in late in the 4th, and converted several first downs. He was going against the deep reserves of the Lions, but he looked significantly better than Taylor. His starting experience last year has to count for something.

The Bad:

1) The Ravens first offensive series ended, when Jones was not able to come-up with a catch down the field on 3rd and 6.

2) Webb missed a tackle on Calvin Johnson, which resulted in additional yards gained on the Lions first possession.

3) After getting to 1st and Goal on the Lions 7 yard line, Baltimore had to settle for a FG for their first points of the game. They were moved back 10 yards, after Oher was charged with a penalty.

4) Kruger did a good job knocking down the 3rd and 2 pass on Detroit's 2nd possession, but he should have had the pick. Kruger was also called for roughing the passer on the Lions 2nd TD.

5) Baltimore's 3rd drive ended, with Flacco being sacked on 3rd and 1 from the Detroit 29, forcing the Ravens into a long FG attempt.

6) Upshaw was charged with a penalty on 3rd and 2, giving Detroit a 1st down. The Lions would have been forced to attempt a FG, but instead were able to continue their drive.

7) A personal foul was called on Osmele (Detroit declined the penalty).

8) After scoring on their first possession of the 2nd Quarter, Detroit moved down the field for another score on their following drive. Their 9 play, 85 yard, 4 minute drive was culminated with Stafford finding T. Young for 24 yards over the middle.

9) Bajema should have had Taylor's pass on 3rd and 16, near the end of the 1st half.

10) The Ravens first series of the 2nd half ended at the Ravens 22, when Taylor's 3rd and 9 pass was a bit behind TE Matt Balasavage.

11) Jackson's would be PR for a TD was wiped out by penalty.

12) Gorrer missed an open field tackle in the 3rd, allowing Joique Bell to pick up 11 yards.

13) Koch's punt to start the 4th Quarter was blocked.

14) The Ravens did not record a sack, and allowed 2.

15) Baltimore was penalized 9 times for 79 yards.

16) After getting the onside, Painter was not able to advance the ball, and the series ended with him being picked.

The Ugly:

1) The Lions started their first series of the 2nd Quarter, with Johnson beating Williams down the field for 57 yards. Several plays later Johnson made a great play, abusing Jimmy Smith for a TD reception by the Lions receiver. Detroit moved 93 yards for the score in just 1:37.

2) On 3rd and 3 from the Detroit 26, Taylor missed a wide open Thompson down the sideline. There were positives on that series, but a missed opportunity for a TD there. As we mentioned above, Taylor's biggest positives for the night came with his legs. More importantly, Taylor completed just 8 of 22 passes for 65 yards.

3) Stafford was 12 of 17 for 184 yards, and 2 TD's against the Ravens in the 1st half.

4) The Lions added an exclamation point to their night, with Stephfon Green rushing 76 yards for a TD and Detroit's last score.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:52 AM

CSN Baltimore: Ravens - Lions instant analysis
http://www.csnbaltim...927&feedID=6876

#3 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

Taylor isn't going to cut it as the main backup. Just not big enough and too inaccurate. Painter is the better pure QB but he's pretty bad too. If Flacco were to go down the Ravens would probably need to bring in someone off the street. I do think they'll keep Taylor and try to work in some wildcat or give him some Slash type plays. He's dynamic as a runner.

The 1st team offense looked good moving the ball and scoring on 2 of 3 series. Without 2 or 3 drops we would have put up more.

Pierce looked pretty good. He's a north/south guy.Got to learn not to bounce east/west very much. He should have had the 1st down on the play before Joe was sacked but instead of lowering head and powering through the first down marker he tried to bounce and got caught a yard short. The toss play where he got a facemask was another one where he got caught going backwards. When he ran north /south making 1 cut he looked good. Brings me to Rainey who has IMO made the team at this point. He Is truely Ray Rice lite. Very good all purpose guy and deceivingly tough runner.

Not really that worried about the secondary. Jimmy Smith was in good position but was simply overmatched by the best WR in the league. Cary Williams I'm a little more worried about but he's a solid 3rd CB and lets remember that not only is Calvin Johnson the best in the league but Roddy White and Julio Jones are probably both top 10. Defensively I'm much more concerned with the front 7 and both the run defense and pass rush.

Wow is Asa Jackson excited as a punt returner. If he can so just a solid ability as a CB I think he has a good chance to make the team and be our returner. He made a couple of good decisions on fair catches and letting the ball drop as well.

Oh yeah almost forgot because I mentioned it in game thread but Tucker is super impressive. This kid looks llike he'll be around awhile in this league.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

Agreed on Tucker, but it's really hard to get a read on where the Ravens heads are at with the PK situation. I'm 1,000% anti-Cundiff.

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

Agreed on Tucker, but it's really hard to get a read on where the Ravens heads are at with the PK situation. I'm 1,000% anti-Cundiff.

And it's not just being anti Cundiff, which I am as well. Tucker has just been that impressive and has clearly been better.

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

And it's not just being anti Cundiff, which I am as well. Tucker has just been that impressive and has clearly been better.

One thing i took away from him last night was that he just had this confident look about him.

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

One thing i took away from him last night was that he just had this confident look about him.

I heard Mel Kiper Jr. on ESPN Radio this morning interviewing Mac Brown from Texas - they both were extremely high on Tucker and said they thought he'd be a very good pro for quite a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=