1162 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,289 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

This game can be fun for the Ravens. 

They don't necessarily have to win. Most people won't expect them to win.

Chance to play your rival, and see how much you've improved.

Everyone has Pittsburgh in their Top 4-5 teams, and with NE as the favorites in the AFC.

If you can go win on their field in December, you will believe you can win on their field in January.

Past that... just avoid being embarrassed.

Show that the defense can play well against a team with weapons and a real QB, without Jimmy.

Show that the offensive improvement on display today vs. Detroit can carry over on the road vs. a good team.

Lastly, just go out and hit someone.

• Mike in STL and GabeFerguson like this

#2 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:22 PM

Smith-Schuster momentarily suspended. I don't think it'll hold up, but the league has to get the Pitt/Cin games seemingly cleaned up. 

Iloka was totally headhunting Brown all game, he got hit by a ball he could have intercepted in a chance to hit Brown...

I think they both stand or neither does...it'll be interesting to see. 

#3 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:32 PM

It should and will hold up. They have to draw the line. That was unacceptable, even if it was Burfict on the receiving end.

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:13 PM

I would be shocked if it doesn’t hold up.

#5 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:25 PM

I would be shocked if it doesn’t hold up.

I'd think that he appeals and he gets to play this week, but not next. But we'll see. 

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:31 PM

I'd think that he appeals and he gets to play this week, but not next. But we'll see. 

NFL Appeals happen quickly.  Gronk's is today, for example. 

#7 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:37 PM

They need to start ejecting guys. Did JSS get ejected? Gronk? They need to be ejected from the game AND suspended for another. People may look back at last night's game in a few years when things are a lot different.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#8 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:57 PM

If Burfict doesn't get hurt on the JSS hit would anyone have noticed?

I don't feel like he led with his head, and Burfict was at an angle and could have very well seen JSS...I guess it could be considered a crack back, but neither guy was perpendicular to the play. JSS has zero history of aggression either. 

I don't think it'll stand up but I don't think the NFL has that much gumption when it comes to this stuff. Maybe you guys are right and it finally changes. 

#9 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:00 PM

If Burfict doesn't get hurt on the JSS hit would anyone have noticed?

I don't feel like he led with his head, and Burfict was at an angle and could have very well seen JSS...I guess it could be considered a crack back, but neither guy was perpendicular to the play. JSS has zero history of aggression either. 

I don't think it'll stand up but I don't think the NFL has that much gumption when it comes to this stuff. Maybe you guys are right and it finally changes. 

He taunted him, which is what made it noticeable. Then Burfict was hurt.

He should have been tossed. The hit and the taunt was enough for him to go.

The NFL needs to get control of this stuff.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:05 PM

They now toss you if you have two unsportsmanlike penalties, right?  That would only apply to the taunting, not the illegal block.

#11 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:05 PM

I absolutely disagree he should be suspended for taunting. The hit was either illegal and to the head and he should get suspended for it, or it's a taunting penalty and that's it. 

I still don't think anyone would care if Burfict would have bounced right back up. Suspend (and flag) the hits, not the outcomes...IMO. 

I didn't think the hit was that bad honestly, hence my opinion that this one will get overturned. No one has even mentioned how egregious the hit was (Iloka's was 10x worse). JSS was an ass about it, he should be fined a significant number of dollars. But the Gronk hit and the Iloka hit were on totally different levels, IMO. 

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:11 PM

You need to come out of this game as unscathed as possible on the injury front. By far the most important thing.

#13 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:17 PM

Sure...if the measure of every game is health, fine. But you can't really do all that much about it. And if it means benching all of our impact players to just have them not get hurt and punt this game away, hard pass on that from me. 

Go get better, play the game and win. But a win on the road for this team would be a huge step for the confidence of this team, and the threat our team might represent in the first round. I don't want them playing scared, or to avoid injury. 

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:32 PM

Yeah, obviously not gonna happen but I'd seriously consider forfeiting if it were a realistic possibility. You avoid further injury and get rest vs playing a meaningless game. I know it's technically not meaningless because the #5 seed is still in play but the #5 vs #6 is a very minor advantage IMO.

#15 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

Yes, we should clearly forfeit this game, that's the best idea I've ever heard! This is first class trolling...first class. 

There aren't things like getting the offense in sync, seeing how Humphrey handles a top WR, more offense, and defensive rotations. Plenty of things of value to come out of this game. Also, a win would be a huge boost in the arm, not in the playoff standings but the confidence of this team. 

Also, a win in this game allows for at least two let downs and also solidifies our shot at said playoff spot. 

#16 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:48 PM

It's only trolling because I know its not realistic. I would absolutely do it from a purely strategic POV

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:51 PM

It's only trolling because I know its not realistic. I would absolutely do it from a purely strategic POV

So, your strategy is to be a giant wuss?

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:57 PM

JuJu’s suspension has been upheld

#19 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:16 AM

Surprised but not disappointed. PS. There are have been way worse crack back blocks that have been in much more of a clear violation of the rules that should have resulted in a suspension in addition to this one. Also there has been much worse taunting as well. This is what drives me nuts about the NFL. 

Also if the league would have gotten Burfict in better check themselves, the Steelers players wouldn't feel the need to police this themselves as well. 

This is a great outcome from Baltimore but I'll take any chance to ding Goodell and his ad hoc, commissioner style any chance I get. 

#20 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:48 AM

Your strategy IMO is wrong and significantly short sighted. I'd rather play a Sunday night game in a raucous playoff road environment, see what my team has or doesn't have and what we still need to work on. I'd want to see Flacco against a top flight defense. And I'd want to put my players in a position to succeed. Also, a win would be a HUGE boost to this team. It would make them more intimidating in the WC round and would mean the offense has progressed another step forward (or the defense dominated without Smith). 

Also, an injury in Week 14 is much better than an injury in Week 15 or later. In your scenario there is a chance we have to play out and win Week 17 in a meaningful way, putting all of our players at risk in that game. If we can win this game, we could avoid that risk altogether, AND any injuries that were only 3-4 weeks would return in time for the playoffs. In your scenario, the potential delay of those injuries is worse. 

Lastly, I like Cinci to gun to injure players without remorse more than Pitt. Pitt might be a tough opponent, but generally speaking (outside of Mike Mitchell) I don't think most of those guys are dirty. Alternately, Burfict 100% dirty, Iloka a clear headhunter. Those guys could be out there recklessly running around at that point. 

Of course, you would run scared and forfeit. That's what you do. When things don't go your predicted way you don't post, you don't appear. You only come out when it fits your narrative. Just like when I tried to take your +165 playoff bet, you ran scared and bailed and revoked your offer claiming "it's only for Gabe". It's trolling because you've decided meaningful analytical conversations (which you used to engage in) are no longer necessary. Instead, advocating for teams to forfeit games to avoid injuries is actually the better posts we get from you these days because you at least admit to your trolling ways. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=