Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

http://espn.go.com/m... ... candidates

The voters -- Jim Bowden, Jim Caple, Jerry Crasnick, Keith Law, Buster Olney, David Schoenfield and Jayson Stark -- were asked to give us their top five choices (in order) for AL/NL MVP and Cy Young, as well as their top three choices for AL/NL manager and rookie of the year.

For what it's worth.

I think if the O's make the playoffs Buck is the slam dunk choice for Manager of the Year.

@AdamWolff

#2 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8269268/award-watch-mike-trout-andrew-mccutchen-justin-verlander-other-mvp-cy-young-candidates

For what it's worth.

I think if the O's make the playoffs Buck is the slam dunk choice for Manager of the Year.

What if Bob Melvin also makes it with the A's? Or even Robin Ventura with the White Sox.

I think Davey Johnson should get it in the NL (or atleast strong consideration, the Nats are playing better than expected.
@levineps

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,509 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

What if Bob Melvin also makes it with the A's? Or even Robin Ventura with the White Sox.

I think Davey Johnson should get it in the NL (or atleast strong consideration, the Nats are playing better than expected.

When you look at the O's record vs. run-differential, as well as their record in 1-run games and extra innings, that is sometimes an indication of where the manager made a difference.....or so the theory goes. If the O's make the playoffs, I think Buck gets it.

#4 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

AL: Buck/Ventura/Melvin. I think Ventura wins he has done an incredible job with the Sox. Not saying better than Buck but the fact that Chicago is probably going to the playoffs is important.

NL: Davey or maybe the Pirates manager. Hurdle?

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

Duh!

#6 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:16 AM

Love how they have Darvish as being considered for ROTY and not Chen, and I know it's a moot point as Trout will be winning the award. Just another reminder of why I don't pay much attention to ESPN anymore.
  • SammyBirdland likes this

#7 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

Love how they have Darvish as being considered for ROTY and not Chen, and I know it's a moot point as Trout will be winning the award. Just another reminder of why I don't pay much attention to ESPN anymore.

I could have sworn I heard that they put in new rules last year about international signees like Darvish or Chen. Do they both qualify and does anyone actually know what those rules are?

And you're expecting ESPN to not be a bunch of sheep, blindly following big markets in hopes of finding the next big thing?

@BaltimoreDavey

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:00 AM

I could have sworn I heard that they put in new rules last year about international signees like Darvish or Chen. Do they both qualify and does anyone actually know what those rules are?

And you're expecting ESPN to not be a bunch of sheep, blindly following big markets in hopes of finding the next big thing?

I have not heard that. Darvish is a year younger than Chen, ftr. I remember after Ichiro won it there was a debate with that since many thought he wasn't exactly "rookie." The NHL I believe keeps their Rookie of the Year to under-25 for these purposes.
@levineps

#9 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

I have not heard that. Darvish is a year younger than Chen, ftr. I remember after Ichiro won it there was a debate with that since many thought he wasn't exactly "rookie." The NHL I believe keeps their Rookie of the Year to under-25 for these purposes.

It makes for an interesting debate, for sure. I tend to think that maybe it shouldn't be tied to age, but if you've played professionally in another country, you shouldn't be eligible.

I do think Darvish being in there without Chen is a little ridiculous, assuming they both have the same eligibility. But I'm not surprised.

@AdamWolff

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

It makes for an interesting debate, for sure. I tend to think that maybe it shouldn't be tied to age, but if you've played professionally in another country, you shouldn't be eligible.

I do think Darvish being in there without Chen is a little ridiculous, assuming they both have the same eligibility. But I'm not surprised.

Slippery slope for sure, that's why I think age has to be considered since the international leagues have different levels of competitions. Should playing a year of international ball exclude you from ROY. Should 5 years of playing in a not-so-competitive league exclude you?
@levineps

#11 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

Slippery slope for sure, that's why I think age has to be considered since the international leagues have different levels of competitions. Should playing a year of international ball exclude you from ROY. Should 5 years of playing in a not-so-competitive league exclude you?

I think 5 years is a good limit. You can still be a rookie, just not eligible for rookie of the year because you clearly have an experience advantage over everyone else.

@BaltimoreDavey

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

I think 5 years is a good limit. You can still be a rookie, just not eligible for rookie of the year because you clearly have an experience advantage over everyone else.

It would just apply to international players? Another words, someone who it took a while to reach the bigs in the minors wouldn't be impacted by this rule?
@levineps

#13 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

I don't think that's right. If somebody played in the IL or PCL, that's fine... but if they played in the Mexican League it's not? What about some league in the Netherlands or Australia? Does anybody think Korea's league is as competitive as the IL or PCL?

I'm guessing what you really mean is the Japanese leagues. I think the only reason people would consider that is because of what Ichiro did. Before he did it, it was a big open question about how he'd do over here. It's only in retrospect that we can see that he was better than everybody.

IMO, if we want to maintain the belief that MLB is the highest level, that means permitting all newcomers to be eligible for ROY. Either that or treat Japan like an MLB equivalent. I don't think you can have it both ways.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

Notice they did not pick an Executive of the Year.

Think Duquette will win that?

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

I don't think that's right. If somebody played in the IL or PCL, that's fine... but if they played in the Mexican League it's not? What about some league in the Netherlands or Australia? Does anybody think Korea's league is as competitive as the IL or PCL?

I'm guessing what you really mean is the Japanese leagues. I think the only reason people would consider that is because of what Ichiro did. Before he did it, it was a big open question about how he'd do over here. It's only in retrospect that we can see that he was better than everybody.

IMO, if we want to maintain the belief that MLB is the highest level, that means permitting all newcomers to be eligible for ROY. Either that or treat Japan like an MLB equivalent. I don't think you can have it both ways.

The Mexican League, for one, is considered part of Minor League Baseball, Triple-A equivalent.

Japan is considered, as far as I'm aware, as a major league on par with Major League Baseball. They might not be equal in talent level, but that doesn't matter for this discussion.

#16 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

The Mexican League, for one, is considered part of Minor League Baseball, Triple-A equivalent.

I had no idea. Learn something new every day. Thank you.

When did that happen?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#17 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

I had no idea. Learn something new every day. Thank you.

When did that happen?

I don't know. It's been that way for a while, though.

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:20 AM

The NHL under-25(or similar restrictions) for ROY has been in place for years. That's when I saw the MLB debate whether Ichiro should be eligible or not came up.

I think it's tough to say someone who played 7 years in the minors is eligible but someone who played internationally isn't, since you could argue a 26 year old rookie has an advantage over a 21 year old one. (I'm not saying this is right or wrong but just pointing out one potential argument).

I think it would have to be age and not international vs. domestic players. Then you get into the debate of how competitive each league is as well.
@levineps

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:26 AM

Notice they did not pick an Executive of the Year.

Think Duquette will win that?

That's the whole MLB, not just league right? I'm thinking the Korean thing might work against him. He should be considered, where would the O's be without Hammel/Chen and of course, keeping the team competitive with all these roster moves. Guessing Rizzo will have to be considered also, putting together that rotation. And his frequent trading partner, Billy Beane as well.
@levineps

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:30 AM

On the other end of the spectrum, wonder who gets the Worst Manager/Executive of the year.

Two names off the top-of-my-head would be Bobby V and Dan O'Dowd.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=