HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:41 PM

Good article Milton.

I especially liked this part:

The Cowboys’ suspension, however, rings hollow, especially the channel’s paper-thin rationale for the punishment.  

ESPN’s statement said employees were warned that “individual tweets may reflect negatively on ESPN and that such actions would have consequences.”

That statement begs the question: How did Hill’s tweet reflect negatively on ESPN?

BTW, I happen to catch Milton's Sports at Large from time to time on NPR, and always find it enjoyable. 

#3 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:37 PM

I finally listened to Jemele Hill on the Sports Media Podcast with Richard Deitsch from back in October and I found it quite interesting.

#4 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:57 AM

I finally listened to Jemele Hill on the Sports Media Podcast with Richard Deitsch from back in October and I found it quite interesting.

I remember this podcast. I found it...kinda sad. Like, in times like that, you REALLY figure out who your friends are.

She absolutely landed on her feet, but man...

#5 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:28 PM

I remember this podcast. I found it...kinda sad. Like, in times like that, you REALLY figure out who your friends are.

She absolutely landed on her feet, but man...

Well she had the option of staying at ESPN, but didn't really want to stay there. So other than ESPN not standing by her side at a certain point when they should have, I'm not sure what you're referring to. But that was a big deal and I'm probably forgetting some stuff.

#6 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:36 PM

Well she had the option of staying at ESPN, but didn't really want to stay there. So other than ESPN not standing by her side at a certain point when they should have, I'm not sure what you're referring to. But that was a big deal and I'm probably forgetting some stuff.

I was mainly talking about the backlash WHILE she was at ESPN, not her (fairly amicable) departure.

She came to the realization that some people that worked there, that she was friends with, ultimately didn't have her back when things went south (as opposed to people like Michael Smith and Wilbon, who stepped up to her defense). And that's a lonely feeling. 

#7 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:25 PM

I was mainly talking about the backlash WHILE she was at ESPN, not her (fairly amicable) departure.
She came to the realization that some people that worked there, that she was friends with, ultimately didn't have her back when things went south (as opposed to people like Michael Smith and Wilbon, who stepped up to her defense). And that's a lonely feeling.

For sure. It's disappointing imo that ESPN didn't stand by her.

It's also disappointing that people fell for the liberal ESPN propaganda or got upset on their own over that stuff. As I said before, while some Twitter accounts may have been more political, the network and website were hardly political at all, at least outside the context of sports.

Jemele was a scapegoat for a lot of that BS, which was unfortunate to say the least.

#8 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:14 PM

For sure. It's disappointing imo that ESPN didn't stand by her.

It's also disappointing that people fell for the liberal ESPN propaganda or got upset on their own over that stuff. As I said before, while some Twitter accounts may have been more political, the network and website were hardly political at all, at least outside the context of sports.

Jemele was a scapegoat for a lot of that BS, which was unfortunate to say the least.

Right. When Skipper left, ESPN made this huge announcement, saying, "We're going to go back to being what made us great," insinuating that they were shedding the invisible bias that everybody swore they had...and then, outside of ditching The Six, they've really done nothing more. And it's not like long-time ESPN guys like Keith Law and Bomani Jones have shied away from controversial takes on social media, to this day. 

• mweb08 likes this

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:21 PM

It could also be because Hill is pretty mediocre in what she brings to the table in terms of knowledge and analysis.

I don’t really mind her but ESPN isn’t worse off because she’s not there.

Plenty of better people have been let go by the company over the last year or so.

#10 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:30 PM

It could also be because Hill is pretty mediocre in what she brings to the table in terms of knowledge and analysis.

I don’t really mind her but ESPN isn’t worse off because she’s not there.

Plenty of better people have been let go by the company over the last year or so.

She was pretty good at surface level analysis and at being entertaining. She wasn't delving deep into any particular sport, but that also wasn't really her job, nor is it most others at ESPN or Fox Sports, etc.

She also wasn't let go to be clear.

#11 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:33 PM

Right. When Skipper left, ESPN made this huge announcement, saying, "We're going to go back to being what made us great," insinuating that they were shedding the invisible bias that everybody swore they had...and then, outside of ditching The Six, they've really done nothing more. And it's not like long-time ESPN guys like Keith Law and Bomani Jones have shied away from controversial takes on social media, to this day.

Yeah, and The Six wasn't even political. But it also wasn't traditional SportsCenter, which was an actual problem because that's what some viewers as well as many in ESPN wanted it to be, while not what Michael and Jemele really signed up for. Which btw, was an interesting discussion topic on the pod.

#12 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:22 AM

She was pretty good at surface level analysis and at being entertaining. She wasn't delving deep into any particular sport, but that also wasn't really her job, nor is it most others at ESPN or Fox Sports, etc.

She also wasn't let go to be clear.

On this note, how many national media people are really great at 2 sports? 3 sports?

I feel like even most people that specialize at one sport aren't even that great at it, but very few hit that 3 sport expertise.

#13 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:15 PM

On this note, how many national media people are really great at 2 sports? 3 sports?

I feel like even most people that socialize at one sport aren't even that great at it, but very few hit that 3 sport expertise.

Honestly, if he wanted to...Reali could probably do it. But most experts in multiple sports are those "Sports Reporters" types that aren't entirely entertaining. That's why you end up with the Whitlocks and Skips of the sports world. 

As far as the Jemele/Mike move to a more "traditional" SportsCenter, you could tell that they didn't like it, and you could tell that the end was near. At least Mike's still there, even though it's only in a here-and-there role.

#14 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:10 PM

I felt like they were putting square pegs in round holes with them two. Both were regulars on Around the Horn as sports reporters from wherever they're from...which somehow makes you qualified to work at ESPN? Could you imagine if Woody Paige hosted SC? Ewww. 

I didn't really watch because they didn't really interest me. ESPN as a whole for a while hasn't interested me outside of a couple things. Combined with sport specific networks giving way better and deeper analysis in their area of expertise. 

But there is probably a reason they had one show cancelled, then another, then "the 6" wasn't popular. It's all subjective, but maybe most didn't care for the pair. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#15 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:13 PM

I felt like they were putting square pegs in round holes with them two. Both were regulars on Around the Horn as sports reporters from wherever they're from...which somehow makes you qualified to work at ESPN? Could you imagine if Woody Paige hosted SC? Ewww.

I didn't really watch because they didn't really interest me. ESPN as a whole for a while hasn't interested me outside of a couple things. Combined with sport specific networks giving way better and deeper analysis in their area of expertise.

But there is probably a reason they had one show cancelled, then another, then "the 6" wasn't popular. It's all subjective, but maybe most didn't care for the pair.

I don't think that last paragraph is accurate. They had a successful podcast called His or Hers, then eventually Jemele joined Michael Smith on Numbers Never Lie, which soon after became a TV version of His or Hers, then they got promoted to The Six. The latter wasn't popular, nor was it a ratings disaster, it was however misguided as I previously alluded to.

#16 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:17 AM

I don't think that last paragraph is accurate. They had a successful podcast called His or Hers, then eventually Jemele joined Michael Smith on Numbers Never Lie, which soon after became a TV version of His or Hers, then they got promoted to The Six. The latter wasn't popular, nor was it a ratings disaster, it was however misguided as I previously alluded to.

This entire paragraph is accurate. His and Hers, if it ever got re-launched, would be a wildly popular podcast. Jemele and Mike are magical together. Reminds me of Desus & Mero...a duo that just...works. 

#17 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:53 PM

Jemele wrote a great R. Kelly article for The Atlantic.

https://www.theatlan...tionism/580150/

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=