BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,475 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:23 AM

Bears and Vikings tonight.

Chicago Tribune: Mark Jon Gruden's words: 'Do not underestimate Mitch Trubisky'
http://www.chicagotr...008-column.html

Future might be bright, but you need to make life uncomfortable for him as he gets started.  Would expect the Bears Coaching to limit the playbook... have him work to one side. Try and limit his reads.

#2 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:05 PM

It will certainly be interesting to see how Trubisky performs tonight against a tough Minnesota defense. 

@gabefergy

#3 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:20 PM

Random stat: Teams are 3-6 the on the Sunday following a short week after a Monday night game. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:17 PM

Random stat: Teams are 3-6 the on the Sunday following a short week after a Monday night game. 

http://washusportsan...y-peter-rosston

Not sure that I think this was a particularly rigorous analysis, but it's the only article I could find on the subject.  I think you'd want to compare a team's winning percentage on a short week (Sunday after MNF) compared to their winning percentage the other 15 games.  Perhaps also isolating for home/road.  This study appears to assume that the winning percentage should be 50% the Sunday after MNF if there was no impact.  But that assumes that the teams that play MNF have the same 50% winning percentage as the league as a whole, which my guess would be is untrue.  Better teams get on MNF more often, at least that is the league's hope, so I imagine the teams playing on MNF have a somewhat higher overall winning percentage than other teams.

• Mike in STL likes this

#5 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:23 PM

http://washusportsan...y-peter-rosston

Not sure that I think this was a particularly rigorous analysis, but it's the only article I could find on the subject.  I think you'd want to compare a team's winning percentage on a short week (Sunday after MNF) compared to their winning percentage the other 15 games.  Perhaps also isolating for home/road.  This study appears to assume that the winning percentage should be 50% the Sunday after MNF if there was no impact.  But that assumes that the teams that play MNF have the same 50% winning percentage as the league as a whole, which my guess would be is untrue.  Better teams get on MNF more often, at least that is the league's hope, so I imagine the teams playing on MNF have a somewhat higher overall winning percentage than other teams.

Only thing is these days about everyone gets on Monday night. Browns, Jags, Niners, etc... Sunday night is the premier game reserved for the biggest draws. The nights reversed since MNF went to ESPN.

@BSLMikeRandall

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:27 PM

Good point.  Would be interesting to see if the team talent level on MNF has dropped since the network changed.  Not interesting enough that I'm gonna dig into it myself though :)

Perhaps also possible that judging which teams will be good in the Fall when they are deciding the MNF schedule in the Spring or whenever has gotten harder and harder as the salary cap has evened things out.  Much more difficult to be good multiple years in a row now than it was even just 5+ years ago.

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,661 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:38 PM

Bears and Vikings tonight.

Chicago Tribune: Mark Jon Gruden's words: 'Do not underestimate Mitch Trubisky'
http://www.chicagotr...008-column.html

Future might be bright, but you need to make life uncomfortable for him as he gets started.  Would expect the Bears Coaching to limit the playbook... have him work to one side. Try and limit his reads.

Gruden has his favorite young QB's.    I think Trubisky may be one.  The Ravens can not afford to underestimate anyone, and I do not think they will.  Trubisky, be prepared to get a lot of different looks.

@mikeghg

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:55 PM

Has to be a win. And no reason it shouldn't be a convincing one

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,661 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:07 PM

Has to be a win. And no reason it shouldn't be a convincing one

I will take any win.

@mikeghg

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:17 PM

Likely without BWill and Carl Davis this week. Bears have a good run game already.

#11 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:48 PM

Is there any indication that Williams is coming back soon? 

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:35 PM

Steelers killed us with running outside the tackles, which is something the Bears did a lot of when I was watching Monday night.

Team should be able to force Trubisky into mistakes, though he also looked mobile enough to make some plays outside the pocket.  But I am worried about controlling the run game.  Only way I can imagine the Bears winning is if they run all over us.  If we can avoid getting gashed, even if they run it fairly well, I think the Ravens win this one.  Cohen receiving passes is another big concern, especially if we try to have Mosley cover him one-on-one.  Mosley is typically great in space, but is prone to getting burnt in man coverage.

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:46 PM

Before the Steelers game, Harbaugh said he hoped to have BWill back in a few weeks or so. Based off of that, it should be any week now.

#14 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:15 PM

Before the Steelers game, Harbaugh said he hoped to have BWill back in a few weeks or so. Based off of that, it should be any week now.

Harbaugh said yesterday he has gotten no new news on Williams situation. So, out for the year likely.

@BSLMikeRandall

#15 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:21 PM

Will be at this one Sunday for my first game of the year, hopefully another win (and a Steelers loss to KC).

While this is the kind of game that should be a win, Williams continued absence worries me, and I hope we see more end-of-MNF Trubisky than beginning. Mobility and the ability to make accurate intermediate passes has not seemed to be a good combination for this defense. Not to mention the Bears backfield is actually pretty dangerous.

But if the offense looks anything like it did last week, they'll be fine.

#16 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:34 PM

Eh, pack the box, force Trubisky to throw to the not very good Chicago receivers. Play contain, and use Jefferson and Weddle to control the outside run game. 

I'm worried a little bit about this game, but not all that much at home. And without another big game next week, I think we avoid the looking ahead trap game too. 

#17 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,661 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

I am anxious to get out there tomorrow.  This to me is a foundation game.   Play well, especially offensively, get a win and the season starts to take shape in a positive way.  

It is important for Joe to put together another good game and get the receivers even more engaged.

@mikeghg

#18 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:52 AM

Maclin is a game time decision...Ravens are pretty beat up
@gabefergy

#19 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,661 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:03 AM

Maclin is a game time decision...Ravens are pretty beat up

Saw that this morning.

I will be anxious to see the in-active list.

I suspect Maclin, Williams, Davis, join Skura and West as out.   This a have to have game and I think we win, but the injuries are overwhelming at this point.

@mikeghg

#20 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,661 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:07 AM

Jimmy Smith is another to keep an eye on, he is talking like he expects to play, but given Humphrey is playing well. they could buy Jimmy a week or keep him active with limited reps, in case there is an injury.

@mikeghg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=