#21 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:36 PM

On the positive side, Seattle is the West Coast's Baltimore... (seaport vibe and hx, etc.)   On the negative side, Port Covington does nothing to feed the alleged preference for bolstering a central city that needs it with more than half the employees walking to work... same thing re: respectable mass transit...
  Nah, Seattle is the west coast version of Boston. Oakland is a better west coast comp for Baltimore.
Having lived in both, this is correct.

@fuzydunlop

#22 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,685 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

Baltimore didn't make the top 20

#23 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:36 AM

Baltimore didn't make the top 20

Damn. 

DC and Montgomery County did.

#24 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:51 AM

MoCo would be great for me (and anyone in Bal/DC region). I would probably get packages same day.

Shame that Bmore didn't make the list but I can see why they'd want to be in, or close to, DC.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#25 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:40 PM

MoCo would be great for me (and anyone in Bal/DC region). I would probably get packages same day.

Shame that Bmore didn't make the list but I can see why they'd want to be in, or close to, DC.

I doubt they are going to set up a distribution center in a HQ building. Totally different type of operation.

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:43 PM

Apple announced yesterday that they plan to build a campus for 20,000 new hires in customer services somewhere in the US. So maybe Baltimore can use its Amazon package as a template to lure them to Port Covington. It's a consolation for sure (fewer jobs and probably much lower-paying than Amazon's would have been) but not a terrible consolation.

#27 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:02 PM

I doubt they are going to set up a distribution center in a HQ building. Totally different type of operation.

Ah. OK, makes sense.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#28 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:32 PM

Ah. OK, makes sense.

That being said, if they put a HQ in MoCo, it might stand to reason they'd want to put a distribution center nearby that provides same-day service to the area. After all, if you want to attract and keep the best employees it's never a bad idea to make sure they also have access to the best services that your company offers.

#29 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:18 PM

I hear Nashville is in the running. It'll be an appealing landing spot because the quality of life is great, it's central to the entire Eastern U.S. with interstates spoking in all directions, and the cost of living beats anything in the Northeast.

#30 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:31 PM

That being said, if they put a HQ in MoCo, it might stand to reason they'd want to put a distribution center nearby that provides same-day service to the area. After all, if you want to attract and keep the best employees it's never a bad idea to make sure they also have access to the best services that your company offers.

First thing I thought of is that abandoned IBM campus off 270. That's a huge chunk of infastructure just chilling.

@JeremyMStrain

#31 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:30 PM

By the criteria used by the authors, BAL finished 7th among all the applicants but didn't make the cut... BAL was 2nd best to not make the cut (Minneapolis ranked 2nd and didn't make it either)....

https://www.washingt...m=.1468ed2f97dc

ps: I have no clue if the author's criteria mean anything real...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#32 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:06 AM

https://www.bizjourn...-baltimore.html

#33 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 05:33 PM

Amazon has said bye-bye to locating part of the 2nd HQ in New York. Claim too much blow back from state and local officials. The Northern VA location is still on...

https://www.foxnews....ty-headquarters

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#34 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 February 2019 - 05:41 PM

Good for NYC

#35 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:56 PM

Amazon needed NYC (at least when the politicians were giving away the farm) far more than NYC needed Amazon. Good for the people who said enough is enough.

#36 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 03 March 2023 - 01:02 PM

Update: Amazon has paused construction on their 2nd headquarters.

It seems like Maryland dodged a bullet by not winning this bid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=