271 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,480 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:26 AM

The season begins.

Road division W to start the year would huge.

Even if Joe is under Center as expected, have to believe it's going to be a struggle for the offense with the minimal practice time.

By all accounts, Cincinnati has significant O-line limitations. Ravens defense has to exploit.

BSL: 5 Thoughts before Baltimore/Cincinnati

http://baltimorespor...morecincinnati/

BSL: Previewing Week 1

http://baltimorespor...ravens-bengals/

BSL: BAL vs. CIN - Analytics Preview
http://baltimorespor...review-bengals/

BSL: Flacco to answer myriad of questions Sunday

http://baltimorespor...estions-sunday/

#2 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,731 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:40 AM

No Burfict for Cincy.

Need to not let up those patented Dalton-Green big plays that have killed us in the past, especially late.

Would be good to see them try to establish the run early and let Joe ease his way back. Can't have him throwing 50 times after missing all of camp.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:52 AM

Can we, when healthy, finally contain Green? That's going to be this game. This is going to be a low scorer, but it's impossible to tell what we're going to get from Baltimore at this point. The first quarter is going to be as meaningless as the whole preseason.

Personally, my expectations for this team are high. The talent is there. Now it remains to be seen if anything can be done about that, but no matter how much prognosticating goes on, there is just no dataset of information to predict anything but a very good to a dominant defense. 

#4 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:24 PM

Can we, when healthy, finally contain Green? That's going to be this game. This is going to be a low scorer, but it's impossible to tell what we're going to get from Baltimore at this point. The first quarter is going to be as meaningless as the whole preseason.

Personally, my expectations for this team are high. The talent is there. Now it remains to be seen if anything can be done about that, but no matter how much prognosticating goes on, there is just no dataset of information to predict anything but a very good to a dominant defense.

I have high expectations. This defense should keep us in every game. With that said, I don't have high expectations for this game. The Bengals own us lately, and our offense has had no continuity this off-season. I can see the Bengals winning this one 20-17 or something like that.

#5 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:01 PM

That's fair, I don't think that Atkins v Hurst is going to be the ONE thing that brings us down if we lose though. I'm more worried about continuity of offense than I am one on one matchups at the moment. 

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:11 AM

We aren't going to win this game by having long, sustained drives.

But, you do have big play capabilities at WR, your defense and ST can create short fields.

I expect the Ravens to win a lot of games this year because of the field position battle.

That's how they have to win this one. I don't think you look at this game and immediately write down a W..:but I also don't think you write down an L either. It's a toss up game.

For all the talk about the Ravens offensive issues, Cinci has issues of their own.

I think what will be interesting to see is the potential explosion of Mixon and Ross.

Those 2 could be major impact guys for them. The speed they bring is pretty crazy. Pairing them with Green, Eifert and Hill gives Cinci some scary weapons. Otoh, the offensive line is an issue.

We know that when we play dalton, that they do a lot of get the ball out quick type stuff. Tha Ravens pass rush may not get there despite what sounds like a weak OLine. The Ravens have been scared in the past to jam at the line. Will that be the case this year?

As always, the game will be won and lost in the trenches. Both teams have good Dlines and both have suspect Olines. Whoever has better OLine play probably wins the game.

#7 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:54 AM

We aren't going to win this game by having long, sustained drives.

But, you do have big play capabilities at WR, your defense and ST can create short fields.

I expect the Ravens to win a lot of games this year because of the field position battle.

That's how they have to win this one. I don't think you look at this game and immediately write down a W..:but I also don't think you write down an L either. It's a toss up game.

For all the talk about the Ravens offensive issues, Cinci has issues of their own.

I think what will be interesting to see is the potential explosion of Mixon and Ross.

Those 2 could be major impact guys for them. The speed they bring is pretty crazy. Pairing them with Green, Eifert and Hill gives Cinci some scary weapons. Otoh, the offensive line is an issue.

We know that when we play dalton, that they do a lot of get the ball out quick type stuff. Tha Ravens pass rush may not get there despite what sounds like a weak OLine. The Ravens have been scared in the past to jam at the line. Will that be the case this year?

As always, the game will be won and lost in the trenches. Both teams have good Dlines and both have suspect Olines. Whoever has better OLine play probably wins the game.

Ross is out this game. Which is a good thing. Mixon is legit. But they'll ring him on slowly.

With that said, I don't think this is a toss up game. The Bengals should be favored. They're at home. And have our number. Not saying we don't have a chance. But I don't see our offense scoring enough for us to win week 1.

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:15 AM

Ross is out this game. Which is a good thing. Mixon is legit. But they'll ring him on slowly.

With that said, I don't think this is a toss up game. The Bengals should be favored. They're at home. And have our number. Not saying we don't have a chance. But I don't see our offense scoring enough for us to win week 1.

It Is a toss up game. Cinci is about a 3 point favorite, which is usually what you get for being at home.

Cinci has beaten us but games are always close and decided by a play or 2..that's basically the definition of toss up game.

#9 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:39 PM

Have very little faith in our ability to run the ball behind this OL.

#10 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:36 PM

It Is a toss up game. Cinci is about a 3 point favorite, which is usually what you get for being at home.

Cinci has beaten us but games are always close and decided by a play or 2..that's basically the definition of toss up game.

If this were week 4, id probably agree. But with our core offensive players pretty much getting no time together this off-season, I can't see us beating Cincy in Cincy.

#11 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:32 AM

I'm kind of excited for Ricard and see if / how they use him as a potential two way player. 

It'd be really cool if we got down on the goal line and got him a TD. 

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:58 PM

Zrebiec tweets:

Joe Flacco: "it's not ideal but I feel good now and I'm ready to go."

Flacco said he shouldn't have to deal with back going forward.

Yanda on run game: "I think we're gonna be committed to it more than we ever have."

#13 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:03 PM

Tons of good tickets available. My parents are already planning to drive out to meet my brother for the game. I would go but I'm already out of town this weekend.

#14 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,731 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:08 PM

If not for London I would probably try to make this game work, as well as Tennessee, for road trips. Both driveable and would probably require just a day off work..

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#15 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:09 PM

If not for London I would probably try to make this game work, as well as Tennessee, for road trips. Both driveable and would probably require just a day off work..

Yup. 8 hours out to Cincy and it's a really nice drive through the mountains in the late summer/fall.

#16 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,731 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:10 PM

Yup. 8 hours out to Cincy and it's a really nice drive through the mountains in the late summer/fall.

I went with some buddies in 2008. Had a blast.

#17 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,697 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:19 PM

Meh, it's scenic for about two hours.

Once you get into Ohio it's dull. 

I'd go but I've been to Cincinnati more times than any person ever should at this point. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#18 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:22 PM

Meh, it's scenic for about two hours.

Once you get into Ohio it's dull. 

I'd go but I've been to Cincinnati more times than any person ever should at this point. 

Oh yeah, Ohio on sucks. Miles and miles of farmland.

#19 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:48 AM

I'm a little pissed. I'm gonna have a busy day tomorrow and will miss the game. Such is life. I really want to DVR the game and watch it tomorrow night, but I don't know how I'm going to make it until late night without seeing the score, or overhearing someone talk about it. 

Either way, heres what I'm looking for:

It's apparently Cincy's first home opener on week 1 in the Andy Dalton era, which is odd. Will the crowd be factor, and can the Ravens silence them. Will there be a disappointment hangover from Saturday night when the best football team in Ohio lost to Oklahoma, or will more care about checking on the Indians, claiming them as the Reds suck? Silence the crowd early, thats all.

Is the defense for real? Do they pressure Dalton with simple 4-man rushes? Is Jimmy Smith going to shutdown A.J. Green?

Otherwise, all the questions are on the offense for me.

How much does Flacco operate out of the shotgun? Awfully hard to disguise things when you are in that set as much as he was last year. 

O-Line play. Often the offense goes the way of the O-line. 

Do they commit to the run game in a close game?

How does Danny Woodhead get used? Does Flacco go to that check down well too many times, perhaps with other receivers open?

Is there RAC opportunities for our receivers? 

As a team, how disciplined are they? Penalized a lot the last couple years. Has that changed? Do they blow timeouts with a lack of urgency? (Probably do, who am I kidding).

Win or lose, I just want to see smart, disciplined, sometimes creative football. They beat themselves too much last year for my liking. Lets not do that as much this year, and no better time to change that identity than week 1 on the road against a divisional foe.

@BSLMikeRandall

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

Ravens inactives: CBs Jaylen Hill and Price; OL Jermaine Eluemunor; DLs - Bronson Kaufusi, Chris Wormley, Willie Henry. OLB Tim Williams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=