6462 replies to this topic

#5961 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:31 PM

So much competition on the most fun side of the spectrum!

Yeah, you know it's been a long 22 years when 2020 makes the top 5.

• mweb08 likes this

#5962 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:36 PM

I bet RG3's rookie year was a lot of fun.  Other than that...

#5963 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:42 PM

I bet RG3's rookie year was a lot of fun.  Other than that...

Yep, that about sums it up.

#5964 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:45 PM

Yep, that about sums it up.

Until the first game of the playoffs basically dropped a giant poop on the whole thing and it all imploded for the 36th time.

• Nigel Tufnel likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#5965 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:51 PM

Until the first game of the playoffs basically dropped a giant poop on the whole thing and it all imploded for the 36th time.

Yeah, imagine if Lamar Jackson had suffered a career ending injury in last year's playoff loss, and it was still the best season the Ravens had ever had.  That's the life of a Washington fan.

#5966 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:58 PM

Yeah, imagine if Lamar Jackson had suffered a career ending injury in last year's playoff loss, and it was still the best season the Ravens had ever had.  That's the life of a Washington fan.

That just so quickly summed up that whole decade of WFT football. Can we do that for other years?

80's - we were good. others were jealous.

90's - we tried to keep up with the 49ers and Cowboys...it didn't end well.

00's - new guy took over. Likes to win free agency...hires flunkies who don't know football. we suck.

10's - see above.

20's - promising start...

@JeremyMStrain

#5967 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:11 PM

I bet RG3's rookie year was a lot of fun. Other than that...

There was a fun season when Gibbs came back.

#5968 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:18 PM

Here's their top 5:

5. 2007

This season belongs in a category of its own, as it featured both the darkest day and one of the most enjoyable months of the Snyder era. Sean Taylor’s murder in November cast a pall over what was already shaping up to be a disappointing season, and Washington lost its first game at home after Taylor’s death in heartbreaking fashion. Four days later, veteran quarterback Todd Collins replaced an injured Jason Campbell and led a comeback win over the Bears, the start of an improbable four-game winning streak that culminated in a 27-6 rout of the Cowboys at FedEx Field to clinch a playoff spot. “We don’t think it was by accident we won by 21,” Gibbs said after the game, referencing Taylor’s uniform number.

4. 2020

Smith’s return from injury was remarkable, but after Washington fell to 2-7 with a loss to the Lions in his first start in two years, it was hard to imagine Ron Rivera’s first season ever being characterized as fun. That was before rookies Antonio Gibson and Chase Young fueled a four-game winning streak — including a Thanksgiving Day rout that completed a season sweep of the Cowboys and an upset of the previously undefeated Steelers — that produced a 7-9 NFC East title. In Saturday’s playoff loss to the Buccaneers, backup quarterback Taylor Heinicke went toe for toe with Tom Brady. The WFT heads into the offseason with major questions at QB, but also a likable young core and, with Rivera in charge, a rare sense of direction.

3. 1999

Washington went 10-6 and won the NFC East for the first time in eight years behind a prolific offense led by running back Stephen Davis, quarterback Brad Johnson and wideouts Michael Westbrook and Albert Connell, both of whom eclipsed 1,000 yards receiving. The season ended with Washington blowing a 13-0 lead in the divisional round to Tony Dungy and the Buccaneers.

2. 2005

The burgundy and gold began the second season of Gibbs’s return with three wins, including the “Monday Night Miracle” at Dallas. Portis started conducting his weekly news conferences in costumes, inventing characters such as Coach Janky Spanky and Sheriff Gonna Getcha, as Washington closed the regular season with five consecutive wins to finish 10-6 and claim a wild-card berth. Taylor’s fumble recovery for a touchdown to ice the Week 17 win at Philadelphia was especially memorable. Washington defeated Tampa Bay in the wild-card round before losing to the eventual NFC champion Seahawks.

1. 2012

Nothing during the Snyder era compares to the thrill of Griffin’s rookie season: “Griffining” becoming a thing after he led Washington to a win in his debut; his 76-yard touchdown run against the Vikings; the team’s seven-game winning streak to close the regular season, including an NFC East-clinching defeat of the Cowboys on “Sunday Night Football.” The ending was particularly painful, but the ride was electric.

#5969 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:03 PM

My own top 3 Good and Bad:

1 - George Allen, the over the hill gang. Not as good as the Gibbs year, but Lombardi gave the fans a small taste of winning football.

2 - Joe Gibbs-I, great SB victory over Denver and who could forget the Hogs, what a team of blue collar no nonsense lets get it done attitude.

3 - Joe Gibbs-I SB victory over the Bills

4 - Joe Gibbs-1 SB redemption victory of the the Phins.

5 - Playoff victory game against the talented Bears in Chicago, in a dense fog bowl, that showed you, why they play outdoors.

1 - Sean Taylor

2 - Theisman breaking his leg on MNF

3 - RG3 injury

4 - Jack Kent Cooke dying and his son was not able to keep the team.

5 - Changing the name to WFT

• JeremyStrain likes this

#5970 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:13 PM

Is it that it was changed to WFT that pisses you off? Or that it was changed from the incredibly racist slur that it was previously?

#5971 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:19 PM

Is it that it was changed to WFT that pisses you off? Or that it was changed from the incredibly racist slur that it was previously?

Its not racist, and you just want to stir the pot, and we usually call that being a troll.

BTW, you used the word pisses. I just find that as my of my top dislikes of the over 6 decades and following them.

#5972 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:25 PM

Its not racist, and you just want to stir the pot, and we usually call that being a troll.

BTW, you used the word pisses. I just find that as my of my top dislikes of the over 6 decades and following them.

I'm a fan of the team, but come on.  It was pretty racist.

• mweb08 and Mackus like this

#5973 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:28 PM

The worst part about it was Snyder finding a Native American to come out and say they loved the name every couple years. He should have changed it years ago.
  • mweb08 likes this

#5974 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:28 PM

I'm a fan of the team, but come on.  It was pretty racist.

this man, if still alive would respectfully disagree with you

636045471570783752-C03-CHRISTINE-12-5348

#5975 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:32 PM

WFT is the absolute worst.

The Redwolves would be fantastic, but Snyder being who he is and refusing to pay this guy for any name is what is holding things up. ALWAYS Snyder and his ego.

• You Play to Win the Game and Old Man like this
@JeremyMStrain

#5976 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:34 PM

The old name is clearly racist and the Washington Football Team is a great name! It's just fun.

#5977 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 January 2021 - 04:26 PM

this man, if still alive would respectfully disagree with you

636045471570783752-C03-CHRISTINE-12-5348

If the 130,000,000 Native Americans that were murdered were still alive, they may disagree with you. But I applaud you for your earth shattering, incredibly robust analysis of the situation. 

BTW: when you learn what the word "Redskins" means, there is no objective basis whatsoever to say it isn't racist. Period.

#5978 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 January 2021 - 04:28 PM

The old name is clearly racist and the Washington Football Team is a great name! It's just fun.

I agree - I'm not a fan so I don't get a vote, but I actually kinda think WFT is unique and fun. And the least intrusive to the traditions of the colors/uniforms, etc. 

Everyone was so afraid of changing the name, because ultimately they thought the team would just look and feel different. But it looked like I was still watching "Redskins" games this year, if that makes sense.

#5979 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 January 2021 - 04:33 PM

I personally think WFT is incredibly bland but obviously a change was long overdue.

Name them the Pigskins! Football-related and you can still have people call them the 'skins. Boar-looking logo.

#5980 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 04:50 PM

Just drop Football Team.
Just be Washington.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=