#1961 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,702 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 August 2023 - 10:04 AM

What do you consider haven't won anything?

Under Berhalter they qualified for WC 2022 (something they didn't do in 2018).  

They advanced out of their WC group. Lost to the Dutch in the Round of 16 but is the outcome different if Pulisic put away the ball in the 2nd mintue?

The won 2019 Gold Cup and Nations League. The only trophies we can win outside the WC. The only tournaments we are even ever invited to is COPA America and if chips fall right Federation Cup. There just aren't a lot of trophies out there and under Berhalter we did well. So its a bit off base to say we haven't won anything. That just not accurate.

Now as to your comment on our best players not playing in the US. They shouldn't. To be the best we can be they should go overseas. The soccer is better and the money is better. Do you complain when foreign players come to the NBA? 

Now the one point I do agree on is our scoring. No question Berhalters first focus is on defense. And as a former keeper you'll never see me find fault with that! And for sure much of that has had to do with the lack of a #9 that could actually finish against a good team. With that said I do think Berhalter needs to change the attacking approach to not be so wing oriented. We have the tools now at the #9 (Balogun and Pepi) and attacking midfielders who can move the ball (Reyna and Musah) that we should be able to find penetration up the middle. Which then just makes the wing play of Pulisic and Weah even more dangerous.

Obviously this is something I am a tad passionate about .....lol. So not pinging on you Jeremy just laying out a different perspective.

#1962 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,444 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 August 2023 - 10:24 AM

What do you consider haven't won anything?

Under Berhalter they qualified for WC 2022 (something they didn't do in 2018).  

They advanced out of their WC group. Lost to the Dutch in the Round of 16 but is the outcome different if Pulisic put away the ball in the 2nd mintue?

The won 2019 Gold Cup and Nations League. The only trophies we can win outside the WC. The only tournaments we are even ever invited to is COPA America and if chips fall right Federation Cup. There just aren't a lot of trophies out there and under Berhalter we did well. So its a bit off base to say we haven't won anything. That just not accurate.

Now as to your comment on our best players not playing in the US. They shouldn't. To be the best we can be they should go overseas. The soccer is better and the money is better. Do you complain when foreign players come to the NBA? 

Now the one point I do agree on is our scoring. No question Berhalters first focus is on defense. And as a former keeper you'll never see me find fault with that! And for sure much of that has had to do with the lack of a #9 that could actually finish against a good team. With that said I do think Berhalter needs to change the attacking approach to not be so wing oriented. We have the tools now at the #9 (Balogun and Pepi) and attacking midfielders who can move the ball (Reyna and Musah) that we should be able to find penetration up the middle. Which then just makes the wing play of Pulisic and Weah even more dangerous.

Obviously this is something I am a tad passionate about .....lol. So not pinging on you Jeremy just laying out a different perspective.

For me, you look at the women's side and then the men's side and it's ugly. The women's side have been a dynasty for years, development, progression, replacement, stars, the works. Aside from this last couple year blip where I didn't think the coaches system worked on the largest scale, they have been the example.

The men have been an afterthought or a joke. Not even making the knockout rounds some years, olympic showings that are just sad, and constantly struggling to get those players playing overseas to come represent them. I have no problem with them playing overseas, that's not the issue, the issue is the current regime, Gregg included, wants the US to be a national power and the MLS to be a premier league alternative. It's just not there, and there are 100s of reasons why (too many options here vs soccer being everything other places, a broken youth "curriculum" and pipeline, youth sports being more of a money grab than a development platform, I could go on for a long time here, but I won't), they are MLS fanboys, and favor things way to heavily on that side. They would have to be prepared to lose millions to try to compete with the big European leagues, and they aren't.

But see that's the thing, he didn't get that goal, and he should have had multiple other chances. We are settling for small improvements and getting excited and we should be disgusted this is where we are as the USA. This is why the Saudi's are going for the throat and coming after the US domination of sports. They are throwing money at their problem like they did with LIV, and it's working in some areas. Ronaldo and Neymar both took the money. Messi said no, and I feel like that inspired MBappe to turn them down too, but if they keep it up, people will keep flocking there to grab the bag while they can, and before you know it that league will be more talented than anything we could throw at it. Why struggle to be the .01% and take little to nothing in college to play MLS, when you could go to Saudi, and get way more money?

It comes down to the parts you have and don't. Coaches ego ruins teams. Trying to fit round pegs into square holes cause you're the coach and you think THIS is the only way to play. The women lost because of that. Trying to run Vlatko's system and play from the strikers back led to too much 1v1 and forwards trying to do everything, and got away from that midfield wings in approach that worked for us for years. If you don't have that take over a game unstoppable striker, don't try to run the system made for one. If you don't have great passing wings, don't try to run the offense through them. You see it as young at the little kids these days. Entire clubs are falling for it now, following this horrible curriculum the US made, which makes way too many assumptions about your roster and individual talent. But they just keep cashing the checks, as players get frustrated and leave some other sucker will come along willing to write a check. Too many watered down teams/clubs.

• DuffMan likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#1963 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,702 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 August 2023 - 12:09 PM

Here's the roster for the September camp:

370191570_708089128025151_63174616253151

#1964 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,702 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 September 2023 - 11:15 AM

I know we are deep into a pennant chase, college football has started, and the NFL starts tonight. Easy to forget that the USMNT have two friendlies coming up Saturday and Tuesday. Oman on Saturday and Uzbekastahn on Tuesday. A number of guys missing due to injury or recent club transfers which makes this a good window to give some newer faces some minutes. Both matches will be on TNT.

#1965 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,047 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 September 2023 - 11:43 AM

I see that Adams wasn't called in,  I also noticed he hasn't played for Bournmouth yet, is he still recovering from his leg injury?

#1966 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,702 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 September 2023 - 12:13 PM

I see that Adams wasn't called in,  I also noticed he hasn't played for Bournmouth yet, is he still recovering from his leg injury?

Adams and Reyna are still both recovering from leg injuries. Although Reyna at least is back in training. Hopefully they can come for the October camp but really need them for November Nations League.

One of the main things they will look at this camp is who is next man up for dmid (Musah likely to start there) and attacking mid (Malik Tillman?).

#1967 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,702 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 13 September 2023 - 05:20 PM

For those who missed the US - Oman match last night you should try and find a replay. Just a fun all around match for the Stars and Stripes. McKennie was insanely good. Like world class good. A bunch of new faces got in to show some stuff too. And maybe best of all we actually have a competition for the #9 spot. Balogun and Pepi were both were good last night. 

#1968 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,702 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 October 2023 - 10:55 AM

Not much traffic here on the soccer forum of late, me included. The O's run is clearly taking precedent as it should, well mostly anyway. But the Nats do have to really great friendlies coming up and announced the roster and its pretty good one. 

https://www.ussoccer...rmany-and-ghana

#1969 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 11:11 AM

Still confused. Guys like Pulisic take time off during the actual season he's paid to be in, to play in exhibition games against probably some of the worst competition out there, and that's fine. But they do not field the best players in a tournament that matters, when their pro seasons haven't even started, and that is also totally acceptable. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#1970 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,047 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 05 October 2023 - 11:29 AM

International break means that no professional games will be missed.

#1971 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 12:15 PM

International break means that no professional games will be missed.

Ah. Didn't know there was a break in the season. Still Feel like AC Milan would be pissed if Pulisic got hurt in an exhibition against Uzbekistan. Still pissed, but more tolerable if he got hurt in a tournament with a trophy on the line for his country, like MLB players playing in the WBC before the season starts. But whatever. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#1972 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,702 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 October 2023 - 04:59 PM

Mike, there really is just no other way to do this. National teams already have very little time together and to play well it takes lots of minutes together.

1. National team may play a different tactical approach than a players club team.

2. Players may play a different position on their National team than their club team. We have a bunch of examples of this on our team. 

3. And lastly, if you didn't have National team matches in breaks during club seasons then that would mean National team matches could only occur in the summer. Meaning players at that level would never get any time off. Just not physical practical. If you held National team play say during June and July the players would have just finished a 9 month club season. Would then have say 6 weeks of National team duty then right back to 2 weeks training for the next club season. Can't happen.

4. Now what happens if you took the approach that you only played when it was a competitive match? Here's a look at the US 2023 schedule under that scenario:

1. March window - Nations League qualifying so players on big clubs play.

2. June - Nations League so players on big clubs play (clubs are off anyway)

3. July - Gold Cup (clubs are off but club preseason training starts)

4. September window - friendlies only so players on big clubs don't play.

5. October window - friendlies only so players on big clubs don't play.

6. November window - CONCACAF Nations League qualifiers so players on big clubs would play. 

So if you took the approach of only playing when there are competitive matches then the top players would only have played together in 4 sessions over an entire year. Plus they would have played two consecutive long windows (June and July) at the end of their club season and into preseason training for the next season with no real break. 

Then just how would you decide which players are those who don't go to these mid club season camps?

1. Any player how is on the roster of one of the Euro top 5 leagues?

2. Only players on the roster of one of the Euro top 5 leagues who start?

3. Only players on the roster of one of the Euro top 5 leagues who have played X% of their clubs minutes?

etc, etc, etc.

There just isn't a way to have international soccer and do it any other way. Now that said, before every window national team managers discuss with club managers this situation and in most cases its not an issue. However, that is not always the case and its why FIFA rules require clubs to release their players for national team call ups. They don't have a choice.

#1973 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,702 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 October 2023 - 12:59 PM

Yesterday AC Milan's keeper got red carded so they needed somebody to step up and play keeper (No I don't know why they couldn't use their second keeper). Anyway Pulisic told the coach he wanted to play keeper. The coach simply responded "thanks but you are too small".  So instead Giroud went in at keeper and actually made a terrific save.

As for Pulisic? Well he scored a terrific game winner late in regulation!

#1974 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,702 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 14 October 2023 - 05:06 PM

US - Germany was a tail of two halves.

First half the US had a terrific counter attack going. Pulisic scored a great goal and the defense kept Germany mostly tight. Back and forth and totally entertaining.

Second half the defense stayed flat across the back which is great until its not. Whenever a German player dribbled across the field no defender every stepped up to press him. That lead to too many chances to slide a ball into the box to a runner. Just too flat footed. But its great to get high quality matches like this that shows weaknesses that need correcting. 

Next up Ghana on Tuesday.

#1975 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,047 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 October 2023 - 07:00 AM

US - Germany was a tail of two halves.

First half the US had a terrific counter attack going. Pulisic scored a great goal and the defense kept Germany mostly tight. Back and forth and totally entertaining.

Second half the defense stayed flat across the back which is great until its not. Whenever a German player dribbled across the field no defender every stepped up to press him. That lead to too many chances to slide a ball into the box to a runner. Just too flat footed. But its great to get high quality matches like this that shows weaknesses that need correcting. 

Next up Ghana on Tuesday.

What's the deal with Adams?  He's been on the shelf forever was finally about to appear for Bournmouth a week or so ago and then had some kind of setback.  

#1976 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,702 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 October 2023 - 10:14 AM

What's the deal with Adams?  He's been on the shelf forever was finally about to appear for Bournmouth a week or so ago and then had some kind of setback.  

Adams had a really bad hamstring injury. Out for 6 months and as soon as he came back he suffered another hammy injury. Hamstrings are a really really bad injury as for many guys once you have a bad injury its pretty prone to recurrence. I know this first hand. In Tyler's case he just seems to be one of those guys who is prone to injuries. Shoot we are all holding our breath to see if Gio can last a couple of months without another injury.

#1977 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,702 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 17 October 2023 - 04:30 PM

US takes on Ghana tonight at 0830 EDT on TNT. Last friendly for the side to build something before the November window which is for us CONCACAF Nations League. And CNL is even more important than normal as its how we will qualify for COPA America 2024. And that tournament is hugely important to get us some top flight competition given that we don't have qualifying for WC 2026.

#1978 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,338 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 October 2023 - 10:20 PM

Glad Berhalter and Reyna were able to patch things up.

#1979 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 18 October 2023 - 06:11 AM

Only watched the 1st half but goodness that was a thrashing.  Looked like Varsity vs. JV out there.

#1980 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,047 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 18 October 2023 - 06:39 AM

I think that's the first time I've seen an indirect free kick awarded in the penalty box.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=