Photo

Baltimore/DC considering 2024 Olympic bid?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

I've been at the beach since Friday so I've missed some news...

http://articles.balt... ... -dan-knise

A key organizer of the region's unsuccessful bid for the 2012 Summer Games is gauging interest in making a run at the 2024 Games. Dan Knise, president and CEO of the Washington-Baltimore 2012 Regional Coalition, believes "there's a little bit of a spark" in the region for another try.

"There have been some informal discussions with people. The energy the Olympics create, the optimism it creates, I feel that again. I'm optimistic," said Knise, who was in London with his family to watch the Games but also hoped to "take the temperature" of Olympic decision-makers.

Baltimore Mayor Stephanie-Rawlings Blake said in a statement: "It would be a fantastic opportunity to showcase the region. And we would do a phenomenal job hosting the world elite athletes and fans from around the world."

John Moag Jr., former chairman of the Maryland Stadium Authority, said all the things that made the region attractive in 2012 remain, including having "the largest sports infrastructure in a 40-mile radius."

Already there is speculation that Chicago, Dallas, New York and Philadelphia are interested. On the international level, Toronto has declared its intention to bid and just days ago French President Francois Hollande said Paris might be a contender.

The International Olympic Committee will choose the host city in 2017.

Thoughts??

#2 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

I cannot express how much I want to attend a dual Opening Ceremony held at the Inner Harbor and on the Mall.

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

Traffic would blow but I would love it.

Going to the Olympics s definitely something I want to cross off my sports bucket list.

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

Traffic would blow but I would love it.

Going to the Olympics s definitely something I want to cross off my sports bucket list.

Maybe it would help get some more mass transit built.

#5 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

Infrastructure probably wouldn't be a problem, right? It would be interesting to see how they divide the stadia/living quarters/etc. between the metro area.

#6 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

Infrastructure probably wouldn't be a problem, right? It would be interesting to see how they divide the stadia/living quarters/etc. between the metro area.

Well, the Olympic Village was going to be the UM dorms. They were playing baseball in Camden Yards, rowing in the Potomac, sailing in the bay. A new Baltimore arena would have gymnastics while basketball played at the Verizon Center. A lot of facilities would have ended up at local colleges. As I mentioned, at least one of initial ideas was for a dual Opening Ceremony held on the Mall and at the Inner Harbor.

It would be interesting what they would do for things like track and field. It wouldn't make much sense to build an entirely new stadium, as neither Baltimore nor DC would be due for a new one. Would they put a track in at Fedex Field? Maybe build a replacement for Byrd?

#7 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

I recall that one of the issues with the previous bid was that it lacked a "heart"; a single place where there was always something happening. I think the final idea was to build a new stadium along the Anacostia River, along with other various venues. The thing is that a US city was never going to get the 2012 games.

I think a new bid would need a massive complex built at RFK. The Skins would move into the new stadium (FedEx will be 28 years old by then and the Skins lease runs out in 2027).

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

Thom Loverro wrote a "what if" piece if DC/Baltimore had won the bid for this year. Even though I'd get a tremendous sense of pride from hometown/area hosting, I agree with him it be logistical nightmare given the weather, infrastructure, economy, etc.

http://washingtonexa...article/2503121
@levineps

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:37 PM

Thom Loverro wrote a "what if" piece if DC/Baltimore had won the bid for this year. Even though I'd get a tremendous sense of pride from hometown/area hosting, I agree with him it be logistical nightmare given the weather, infrastructure, economy, etc.

http://washingtonexa...article/2503121

I haven't read his stuff for a while, but it's good to know that he's just as awful as ever.

An Olympic Games in this region would have been expensive, gridlocked and vulnerable. It also would be the biggest event we'll ever see around here, and something amazing to experience.

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:23 AM

NBC OlympicsNo New York 2024 Olympic bid, mayor decides

New York will not attempt to bid for the 2024 Olympics, a top member of Mayor Bill de Blasio‘s staff told the Wall Street Journal.

De Blasio recently reviewed the possibility of a bid, and it “doesn’t make sense,” deputy mayor for housing and economic development Alicia Glen told the newspaper.

@levineps

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:09 AM

WJZBaltimore-D.C. Area Bid To Host 2024 Olympics Closer To Reality

It’s news the Baltimore-D.C. area is hoping they could soon get–a U.S. bid to the 2024 Olympics. Once contending with five other big cities, Philadelphia and New York announced Wednesday they are dropping out of the race, putting Baltimore two steps closer to hosting the world’s largest sporting event.

@levineps

#12 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

If we win the bid, I'll rent my house that month for my year's mortgage.

@JeremyMStrain

#13 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:24 AM

I think we are going to get the US bid.

We'll see if its good enough to get the Olympic bid. Considering it will have been 30 years since Atlanta, you'd have to think we'd be a real contender.

Make it happen DC. Don't F it up, like everything else you do.

#14 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:37 AM

Oh I can't wait for Baltimorons to start bitching about being inconvenienced....just like they did with the Grand Prix.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

Oh I can't wait for Baltimorons to start bitching about being inconvenienced....just like they did with the Grand Prix.

That will make the GP look like nothing.

This is something you won't make everyone happy. The Olympics would be cool to have in the area but it costs a lot and some headaches.

All-in-all, I hope it happens, but I wouldn't be disappointed if it doesn't.

@levineps

#16 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

I don't follow the olympics but It'll be great for the city and it will probably get us an arena and likely improve the region's transit. I'm all for it.

• Nigel Tufnel likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#17 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:21 PM

I think it'll be less construction than most international cities given the amount of arenas and stadiums already around here.

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

I think it'll be less construction than most international cities given the amount of arenas and stadiums already around here.

Yeah, probably. We've already discussed this somewhat, you're looking at a new Olympic Stadium likely being built at RFK. And a new arena being built in Baltimore. Some other new buildings. And many upgrades.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=