Photo

Did you play baseball? What kind of player were you?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:59 AM

That's very cool... and special....

It is.  It's awesome.  Now I look forward to their practices and games instead of mine, and I help coach as much as my schedule allows.  

I remember the first time we went back to those fields for my older son's first year, and all those memories came back.  There are few simpler joys in life than to be young and playing baseball.

#42 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:08 PM

The interesting thing about baseball is you can totally find yourself overmatched in one aspect of the game. Hitting the ball. For most of us there is a caliber of pitcher that is going to make us look silly. Defensively however there isn't as much of a glass ceiling. We all likely know or knew people who could play defense at a ML caliber level. And it's important. It would be a valuable asset to a ML club. It's not like say basketball where we all know the guy who can shoot 97% from the FT line but it doesn't matter because that skill is irrelevant in the grand scheme of a basketball game.

#43 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:20 PM

I think unless you played at a really high level (or at least with guys who went on to reach really high levels), that you're overstating the defense of those you played with.  Or underestimating the defensive abilities of even bad MLB defenders. 

#44 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:40 PM

I think unless you played at a really high level (or at least with guys who went on to reach really high levels), that you're overstating the defense of those you played with. Or underestimating the defensive abilities of even bad MLB defenders.

I've seen and played with some great defenders. Maybe not ML caliber premium position defenders like SS or CF but OFers, 2b,1b. Ive seen fast guys with soft hand, great arms, great hand/eye coordination. Not saying theyre Manny Machado or Kevin Kiermaiers but they could defend some positions at a ML level. The point was that IMO breaking that glass ceiling offensively is a lot harder than it is defensively.

#45 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:54 PM

I don't think it's that uncommon to have guys that don't reach a really high level get to the level of corner OF defense where Mark Trumbo is at, especially in all facets of the position besides arm strength. 

#46 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:20 PM

You can't field your way off the island...   :-)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#47 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:32 PM

I think that with rare exceptions, the best people most of us have seen and played with, unless you played with some guys that got to D1 or highly competitive lower levels, are probably akin defensively to guys like Trumbo.  I think it's reasonable to think the best defenders at low level baseball might be guys who could play well enough to carry a glove, but that'd be about it.  I doubt there are many guys any of us have played with (again, unless you reached or played with guys that reached high D1) that would be valuable assets to a team defensively which is what I thought Branden was saying.

#48 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:04 PM

I think that with rare exceptions, the best people most of us have seen and played with, unless you played with some guys that got to D1 or highly competitive lower levels, are probably akin defensively to guys like Trumbo. I think it's reasonable to think the best defenders at low level baseball might be guys who could play well enough to carry a glove, but that'd be about it. I doubt there are many guys any of us have played with (again, unless you reached or played with guys that reached high D1) that would be valuable assets to a team defensively which is what I thought Branden was saying.

I know guys that could have been non negative WAR defenders. Again, not putting gold gloves on anyone but they had real defensive chops. If anything I think you're overrating a ML caliber defender. Especially at a position like corner OFer. Kim and Trumbo are poor defenders not just at the ML level but in general. Managers at most Division 2 or 3 baseball teams would have guys on his roster who are better options defensively

#49 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:10 PM

Anyone have a shining moment they will never forget?

My last season we were playing a team that was much better than us. Down 14-2 in the bottom of the last inning. 2 quick outs then I come up. The field we were on was like old tiger stadium, where the fencing was a perfect square, so the outfield wall was shallow down the lines but center field was 430 feet away, according to the placard.

I hit it to dead center and it hit off the fence on the fly. Center field doesn't play anyone to hit it that far, so I slowed to a trot around 3rd for an inside the park homer. But a true homer in every ballpark in MLB :).

It sparked us, as we strung together hit after hit, a few walks, an error or two, I got up a agian and roped an RBI double. We ended up winning 15-14, 13 runs scored all with 2 outs.

Without a doubt the best ball I hit in my life and the wildest inning I've ever played.
  • Markus likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#50 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:12 PM

Ok, I will agree with that.  You said something about being valuable assets earlier that made me think you were using a higher point of comparison.  Like guys that teams would be happy to have out there.

Still think that even the Trumbo/Kim/Alvarez/Dunn types are few and far between at lower competition levels, but they aren't unicorns either.

At lot of it is repetition, too.  I'm thinking back on some of the best players I played with either in travel leagues who I know then went on to higher levels or at my HS a few of which then played in college.  None of them really seem that capable given their actual performances at the time, even the really good guys don't strike me as low-level MLB caliber defenders, there were still errors and plays not made.  But at least a few of them I think could have reached those levels if baseball then became their job and they were practicing constantly.  Even going from near full season travel type player to actual professional (or scholarship level) is probably at least an order of magnitude step up in time spent honing the craft.

#51 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:33 PM

Ok, I will agree with that. You said something about being valuable assets earlier that made me think you were using a higher point of comparison. Like guys that teams would be happy to have out there.

Still think that even the Trumbo/Kim/Alvarez/Dunn types are few and far between at lower competition levels, but they aren't unicorns either.

At lot of it is repetition, too. I'm thinking back on some of the best players I played with either in travel leagues who I know then went on to higher levels or at my HS a few of which then played in college. None of them really seem that capable given their actual performances at the time, even the really good guys don't strike me as low-level MLB caliber defenders, there were still errors and plays not made. But at least a few of them I think could have reached those levels if baseball then became their job and they were practicing constantly. Even going from near full season travel type player to actual professional (or scholarship level) is probably at least an order of magnitude step up in time spent honing the craft.

Certainly honing your craft is a crucial aspect of it. I'm not saying guys would have stepped off their Division 3 teams right into Camden Yards and been league avg defenders. I'm saying I've seen the tools and natural ability that could make these guys league avg defenders. The value part was said in relation to the overall point of offense vs defense. League avg defense is valuable but its not overly hard to find. At least not compared to league avg offensive ability. Think about overall organizational systems. Many more guys flame out who have avg or above avg defensive chops vs those that have a ML caliber bat. If you're an all bat no glove guy the ML team, even an NL team will find a spot for you. If you're all glove no bat you've still got a long haul. Especially if youre not a SS, CF, C.

#52 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:42 PM

When it comes to OF-D, the Frisbee-dog Gene looms large... some guys have it and some guys don't...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#53 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:54 PM

Anyone have a shining moment they will never forget? .

I hit for the cycle, including a grand slam, in the first ever travel win for White Marsh rec against Parkville when I was 10. Still have the ball.
  • Icterus galbula, Mike in STL, Miller192 and 1 other like this

@fuzydunlop

#54 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:29 PM

No hitter when I was...13? I also had a no hitter against the same team the second time we played them but a bloop infield single ended it.

• Mike in STL and Markus like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#55 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:09 PM

My dad was a workaholic who only saw me play in one HS game. He was an assistant coach on my LTRC team in little league on weekends, when like I said, I was pretty shitty. He would give me batting practice at the field on Providence Road across from the Park n Ride. I kept his Willie Stargell glove in my gym bag as a good luck token. In that one game I saw him arrive as I was in the on deck circle. I roped a bases clearing double to LCF that one hopped to the fence. My best friend recognized what happened and yelled "For Willie!" from the bench. That's my unforgettable moment.

• BSLChrisStoner, RShack, DuffMan and 2 others like this

#56 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:50 PM

I played semi-pro ball and couldn't hit to save my life.  I could field and won the league's gold glove award two consecutive years.

I was in a terrible slump which wasn't all that surprising to anyone.  I decided one day just to screw the mechanics and just see it and hit it.  My first at bat I hit a ball to left that bounces off the top of the fence for a home run.  Second at bat was an absolute laser down the line for my second home run.

I went back to striking out and hitting Matt Wieterses to the second basemen.

• BSLChrisStoner, DuffMan, Mike in STL and 1 other like this
@Miller192

#57 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:45 PM

Not the most memorable time, but pretty funny all the same.... First travel ab.... hit a homerun at Linthicum Ferndale... CF never moved, just watched it go over his head. I get back to the bench, and our Coach is screaming at me that when he gives a sign, it's my job to follow it.  He had apparently told me to bunt, but I had missed the double indicator and swung away.  Took me out of the game. Lesson learned.

#58 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:04 PM

I played semi-pro ball and couldn't hit to save my life.  I could field and won the league's gold glove award two consecutive years.

I was in a terrible slump which wasn't all that surprising to anyone.  I decided one day just to screw the mechanics and just see it and hit it.  My first at bat I hit a ball to left that bounces off the top of the fence for a home run.  Second at bat was an absolute laser down the line for my second home run.

I went back to striking out and hitting Matt Wieterses to the second basemen.

If you look at the scoring of Matt's 1st Gnats game, you will see a 5-3 out... but that's only because they shifted in a way that had the 3B-man standing exactly where the 2B-man usually is... it was really a Matt Wieterses in disguise... 

Gnat fans might as well get used to it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=