4 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:18 AM

My daughter wants this.  The problem is - I have no idea what I actually need to buy.  There are starter packs, level packs, and all sorts of other things confusing to a person who has video game skills limited to blowing the dust out of Tecmo Bowl.

Someone help me.  What in the world do I actually purchase?

#2 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:38 AM

Also - What is the difference between Disney Infinity and Lego Dimensions?  Which do I want?

#3 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:14 AM

My daughter wants this.  The problem is - I have no idea what I actually need to buy.  There are starter packs, level packs, and all sorts of other things confusing to a person who has video game skills limited to blowing the dust out of Tecmo Bowl.

Someone help me.  What in the world do I actually purchase?

It's another one of those games that they make you buy in pieces. There's the starter pack itself that has the main game, and a couple characters to get you started. Then there are smaller sets that you can buy that will have some new levels to play, then there are just individual characters you can buy to play in the already existing game you have.

So basically to buy the FULL game with all the levels it'll cost you close to $200, but you can buy as much or as little as you want. The kicker and what makes LEGO unique is that you also get the physical LEGOs for each character and get to build them. Then you swap the physical LEGO character on this little stand you get and that changes who you are using in the game.

Disney Infinity was the same principle, but with Disney characters, but it's been discontinued, so you can get it cheap right now if you can find it, but there won't be anymore going forward. Our kids are the same age, and mine have loved Disney Infinity for a few years now, but LEGO has been a little tough for them because of the having to actually build the LEGOs to use them. They got it last year for xmas, but haven't played it too much.

• Dr. FLK likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#4 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:58 AM

So I have to buy the starter pack.  This lets them play limited levels, right?

But I can buy new characters, and they can play the SAME level with any of them?

I can also buy new levels that can be played with all characters?

What is a "story pack"?

Why can't things be easy anymore.  Buy a Nintendo.  Buy a game.  Play it.  I like the old days.  In no time, I'll be the "get off my porch you darn kids!" guy...

#5 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:44 AM

So I have to buy the starter pack.  This lets them play limited levels, right?

But I can buy new characters, and they can play the SAME level with any of them?

I can also buy new levels that can be played with all characters?

What is a "story pack"?

Why can't things be easy anymore.  Buy a Nintendo.  Buy a game.  Play it.  I like the old days.  In no time, I'll be the "get off my porch you darn kids!" guy...

Yeah these things are just exceptionally complicated. Of course I got it for mine (they have three different versions, Skylanders, Disney Infinity and LEGO) The starter pack will give them a full game, short-ish game, but a game. And you could in theory play and beat the whole thing with just the characters it comes with. But they never give you the characters your kid actually WANTS, so you get sucked in to getting those. And then you are like oh it's so short, but if I buy these level packs they get another 5 hours of game play, so I'll get all those to get the most for my money...sigh.

With Disney you could only play the storylines with the characters that belong in them. I don't know if that's 100% true for LEGO or not, the lego game is more like the LEGO Movie where there were mixes of all different characters in there, so you may be able to play the game with any character. I don't know if you have to have JUST back the the future characters to play that level, or Simpsons characters to play that one or not, but I think it's more lenient than the other games are.

Mine are getting the new Nintendo in March when it comes out, and are enjoying Minecraft until then.

@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=