Photo

Call It: What Will The O's Do Before 4pm?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

It's final predictions time... what will Dan Duquette do here at the 11th hour? Give specifics if you can.

#2 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

Trade for Blanton. Schoop obviously won't be included.

That's it!
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#3 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

I think we pull off two trades. DD & Co. back away from Blanton.

#4 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

Chaos and Coker, I hope we stay away from Blanton, unless it's the precursor to another bigger and better deal.

I say we deal for Chase Headley, and agree to swap Arrieta, Schoop and Steve Johnson (or like-rated prospect).

We also add Blanton for salary relief and Clay Schrader.

#5 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,640 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

I predict we'll make two or three small moves that don't have any real impact.

Hoping for more. We'll see...

#6 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

Well, the Phillies have "faxed" Blanton's medical records over to us. They're expecting a telegraph from us shortly with an answer.
  • Greg Pappas likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#7 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

IF the Orioles make a huge trade: They will trade Arrieta, Hoes and another AA/AAA prospect to the Padres for Headley.

-OR- Something that came to mind last night. The only way the O's would part with Schoop is if he landed a big fish. If the Phillies are that in love with Schoop (it sounds like they are) then perhaps they could swing something for Pence and Blanton.

Small Move: Blanton is really the only SP out there, other than Vargas, where the price isn't expected to be abnormally high (unless you're the Phillies - then you probably are high).

#8 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,909 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

IF the Orioles make a huge trade: They will trade Arrieta, Hoes and another AA/AAA prospect to the Padres for Headley.

-OR- Something that came to mind last night. The only way the O's would part with Schoop is if he landed a big fish. If the Phillies are that in love with Schoop (it sounds like they are) then perhaps they could swing something for Pence and Blanton.

Small Move: Blanton is really the only SP out there, other than Vargas, where the price isn't expected to be abnormally high (unless you're the Phillies - then you probably are high).

I'd give up those two at the top for Headley (no problem). I am doubting Arrieta can truly put it together as a SP. It'd suck to give up Hoes, but we don't need ANOTHER 4th OF in the future.

I hate Joe Blanton...he's simply awful! He's leading the league in HRs...AGAINST! Unless Philly is paying his contract and we get either Victorino or Pence in the deal, there is no way we should go after Blanton.

I am thinking though that we do something for Headley...I truly think and hope we land him and add another low-level SP for depth.
I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:19 AM

I'm guessing they'll make a minor move or two, but not Headley or Blanton. Should be fun to watch though.
@levineps

#10 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

I'd give up those two at the top for Headley (no problem). I am doubting Arrieta can truly put it together as a SP. It'd suck to give up Hoes, but we don't need ANOTHER 4th OF in the future.

I hate Joe Blanton...he's simply awful! He's leading the league in HRs...AGAINST! Unless Philly is paying his contract and we get either Victorino or Pence in the deal, there is no way we should go after Blanton.

I am thinking though that we do something for Headley...I truly think and hope we land him and add another low-level SP for depth.

I would hope that if we're trading for Headley we get them to include Clayton Richard in the deal as well.

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,145 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

They'll definitely get Blanton unless a potential Headley deal also involves Richard.

I'd prefer to just take on Headley and also go get Blanton, as I think Blanton is better than Richard. But if you have to take on Richard's money to get Headley, I'd do that. I'd consider moving Richard to the pen as our lefty relief help and still going and getting Blanton, but both of them probably aren't necessary.

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,145 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

I would hope that if we're trading for Headley we get them to include Clayton Richard in the deal as well.

Why are you hoping for Clayton Richard? I mean, if he gets us Headley at a slightly lower cost then I'm definitely taking him, but I think he'd be a mess away from SD. He's got a career 4.86 ERA on the road and his FIP and xFIP are both worse than Blanton's.

If we're deciding between Blanton and Richard, I definitely take Blanton. If we need to take Richard to pry Headley loose, then that changes the equation, though.

#13 erb8472

erb8472
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

I have my fingers cross for Chase Headley and a LF. Expecting only some minor moves though. Hope I'm wrong.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,145 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

I have my fingers cross for Chase Headley and a LF. Expecting only some minor moves though. Hope I'm wrong.

Stoner throwing around the possibility of adding both Headley and Choo is making my head spin. I don't believe Choo will actually be moved, but man, those two would be fantastic additions. Even just Headley and DeJesus would be a significant upgrade to the top of the lineup and the defense.

#15 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,385 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

Think there is a focus on one player in particular, it'll be that move or none at this point I think. Blanton could happen in 30 seconds if they want him (not for Schoop), but all the focus is on one possible move that won't happen for a couple hours still if it does.
  • MKlein76 likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#16 erb8472

erb8472
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

Stoner throwing around the possibility of adding both Headley and Choo is making my head spin. I don't believe Choo will actually be moved, but man, those two would be fantastic additions. Even just Headley and DeJesus would be a significant upgrade to the top of the lineup and the defense.

I agree. If we somehow managed to get Choo and Headley you would see me on the evening news moonwalking down I-95.

I will be pretty excited with just Headley.

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

Think there is a focus on one player in particular, it'll be that move or none at this point I think. Blanton could happen in 30 seconds if they want him (not for Schoop), but all the focus is on one possible move that won't happen for a couple hours still if it does.

A SD deal with Headley, Richard and being of their lefty relievers makes too much sense.

It takes care of everything they want all in one move.

The groundwork is already laid..so just get it done.

#18 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

That's a solid tease. Hope it's Headley.

I'm saying the Os get him.

#19 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

Oh man, Skeletor's right. That is a tease.

I'm pretty sure your karma has almost doubled since you've been giving some snippets here and there. I'd give you some more but the man is holding me down.

#20 erb8472

erb8472
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

Have to assume one of Betemit, Davis or Reynolds gets moved if we acquire Headley. Rumor is that we are also interested in Lyle Overbay for some odd reason.

Not enough spots at 1B/3B/DH for Betemit, Davis, Reynolds, Headley, and Thome.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=