#1 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:49 PM

My wife and I are likely spending a few days up in NY in December.

I know many of you have spent time in NY, so I was wondering if you had a recommendation for a nice restaurant in the Times Square area?

We are staying down there and don't really want to taxi all of the place, so we want somewhere in that area.

#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:24 PM

Sbarro
  • Chris B and McNulty like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:44 PM

Sbarro

Best slice in the big apple

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:45 PM

Sbarro

It's a wonder that you're single! :D
  • Matt_P likes this

#5 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:46 PM

Oh man, no.  Times Square is one giant outdoor mall.  Its a pretty terrible representation of NYC.  Its cool to see once, but I would highly recommend you go check out other neighborhoods.  

Every time I go to visit my lady friend, I make it a point to hit up Black Tree (which just recently moved to Williamsburg).  A place called Raw Materials opened in its place.  I went once and it was fantastic.

If you don't want to use taxis, the subway is very easy to navigate.  Especially with all the apps out there.  Uber is the best way to go though.

Blind Tiger is another place I love.  Great beer and you'll get to walk around the village.  Be sure you hit up Russ & Daughters in LES for some bagels and lox.  I took Milligan there and he still raves about it.  

My cousin went to Times Square a few years ago and his girlfriend made him eat at Bubba Gump.  To this day I still give him shit about it.  I mean, its New York; they literally have every type of food in the world there.  

@fuzydunlop

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:21 PM

We are going to see Xmas stuff. See a show, etc...we only have limited time and sitting in traffic and spending a bunch of money on uber or taxis isn't that appealing.

#7 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:55 PM

We are going to see Xmas stuff. See a show, etc...we only have limited time and sitting in traffic and spending a bunch of money on uber or taxis isn't that appealing.

There's a bar near TS called the perfect pint. A very large beer list. Some good apps from what I remember.

Get some Juniors Cheesecake for dessert after a show.

Not sure how limited on time you are but my wife and I did a guided food tour in the East Village area once and loved it. About 2 hours but you get to try all the diverse things NY has to offer. Been about 5 years (When did R.A. Dickey throw that one hitter with the Mets against the O's?) so I don't remember the names of all the places but went to one of the famous pizza joints (probably a Ray's, lol), an Asian noodle bar, Russian cuisine, Jewish deli, two pastry shops (one that Scorsese allegedly frequents often), egg cream, one of the famous hot dog stands. If you sit down to a meal it'll take an hour. Spending an extra hour, walking a bit, learning a little, sampling a bunch of things. Well worth it.

They may have food tours in the area you'll be in. Probably a quick Google search will tell you.
  • Mackus likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#8 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:38 AM

You can take a subway train anywhere in Manhattan for cheap. Doesn't take a lot of time either.
  • McNulty likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#9 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,561 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:37 AM

Don Antonio by Starita. Awesome, awesome pizza. 309 West 50th Street, about a 10, maybe 15 min walk from Times Square.

Dutch Fred's for drinks. 307 West 47th Street, so it's on the way to Don Antonio or you can hit it on the way back.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#10 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:55 AM

I will say, Jimmy's Corner is one of my favorite bars in NY, which is in Times Square.  Its owned by Ali's former trainer.

One thing I recommend to everyone who visits, is go down to the financial district and hit up Dead Rabbit for cocktails.  Its easily the best experience for high end drinks I've had.

@fuzydunlop

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,780 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:59 AM

Don't ride the subway.  You'll get stuck next to some purple haired queer with 9 kids and AIDS.

EDIT: John Rocker joke for anyone that didn't get the reference.

• DJ MC likes this

#12 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,561 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:00 AM

I will say, Jimmy's Corner is one of my favorite bars in NY, which is in Times Square.  Its owned by Ali's former trainer.

One thing I recommend to everyone who visits, is go down to the financial district and hit up Dead Rabbit for cocktails.  Its easily the best experience for high end drinks I've had.

If Rob thinks $8-10 for a cocktail is expensive at La Scala, he's in for a surprise in NYC where they average about $14. Plus the ice gets bigger and the liquid portion is smaller.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:05 AM

I have drank in Times Sq. My wife is pregnant, so we aren't going to be hanging out at bars.

#14 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,561 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:17 AM

Congrats! How far along? Would walking 8 blocks be an issue?

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:25 AM

Due in Feb

No, I don't think that would be a big deal.

#16 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:52 AM

Congrats Rob. You have a designated driver for a few months! Party time!
  • SportsGuy likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#17 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:45 PM

Maybe Keens Steakhouse at 36th and 6th?

#18 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:59 PM

Hey, I can actually contribute something here. Last year, we found a great groupon for Paul's on Times Square, which is at a Hilton Garden Inn. Very good Italian food, at least in the opinion of my Tennessee taste buds. Your all's might be more advanced, but we considered it a nice place.

http://www.paulsontimessquare.com

#19 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:13 PM

Hey, I can actually contribute something here. Last year, we found a great groupon for Paul's on Times Square, which is at a Hilton Garden Inn. Very good Italian food, at least in the opinion of my Tennessee taste buds. Your all's might be more advanced, but we considered it a nice place.

http://www.paulsontimessquare.com

What do they serve with their egg noodles and ketchup?

@DJ_McCann

#20 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:01 PM

Go to Guy Fieri's restaurant.

@DaKittenz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users