352 replies to this topic

#341 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:31 AM

They shouldn't keep Williams.  He's great but we can replace him.

We basically have replaced him. I don't know I'd say no to signing him longer term just yet. But I agree probably let him go. 

Looking at where our needs are going to be this upcoming year, we need better pass rushers, probably a FS, maybe another WR (Jeffrey?), and help on the OL. We're not looking at a ton of holes, and with the ability to shed $23 mill off the cap and being about $11 mill under already, there's room to bring him back and still make an impact signing if we wanted to. Not saying we should or have to, just that it's not an option that I think would destroy our cap. 

#342 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:49 AM

They shouldn't keep Williams.  He's great but we can replace him.

You're saying no to a Brandon Williams extension?  I don't understand this thinking; young, tough, healthy and great.  He, Jernigan and Pierce make up a fearsome D-Line that not only stops the run but collapses the pocket.  Gotta keep Williams if you ask me.

#343 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:52 AM

You're saying no to a Brandon Williams extension?  I don't understand this thinking; young, tough, healthy and great.  He, Jernigan and Pierce make up a fearsome D-Line that not only stops the run but collapses the pocket.  Gotta keep Williams if you ask me.

He's going to get serious money, isn't much more than a run stopper and we have holes and need to spend on legit playmakers and the OLine.

I would hate to see him go but we have depth there and he can be replaced.  

Sinking 30-40M guaranteed into a run stopper isn't that enticing to me.

#344 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:55 AM

He's going to get serious money, isn't much more than a run stopper and we have holes and need to spend on legit playmakers and the OLine.

I would hate to see him go but we have depth there and he can be replaced.  

Sinking 30-40M guaranteed into a run stopper isn't that enticing to me.

I see your point, I also can't imagine Ozzie letting him go, unless somebody throws stupid money at him.

#345 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,668 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 November 2016 - 12:58 PM

Williams is a lot more important than some may think.

Williams is in the mold of Tony Siragusa, Sam Adams, Haloti, and others we have had here.  Yea he is a run stuffer, but he does a lot more than that.  He keeps Orr and CJ clean and lets them run sideline to sideline.  He is not a sack guy obviously but watch the games a second time when or look at some of the sites that allow you to watch certain things and Williams is constantly caving the pocket and more times than not taking on a man and a half or a straight double team.

His strength is run stopping, but we are once again making teams one dimensional which makes it easier to defend.

We should see a great matchup this week coming with the Ravens squaring off against Elliot and what is probably the best Oline in football.  If the Ravens can win that matchup they may be able to pull an upset.

@mikeghg

#346 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,668 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 November 2016 - 12:59 PM

FWIW, I could see them letting B Will walk, and Pierce would take over.  Being the man, is tougher than working alongside the man though.

@mikeghg

#347 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:26 PM

https://www.profootb...-browns-in-win/

Wagner getting high grades every week it seems like.  Maybe he isn't just good with Kubiak?

That's not possible.

@gabefergy

#348 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:33 PM

The problem is there is no way we to keep Williams and Jernigan, and Jernigan does a lot more in terms of rushing the passer. Williams is a great player, but he is very one dimensional. It's hard to pay a lot for a run stuffer who provides little pass rush, especially with Pierce waiting in the wings.

The caveat here is the Ravens need to do everything they can to sign Jernigan to a contract extension this offseason. If he hits the open market he will make a bundle.

@gabefergy

#349 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:37 PM

The problem is there is no way we to keep Williams and Jernigan, and Jernigan does a lot more in terms of rushing the passer. Williams is a great player, but he is very one dimensional. It's hard to pay a lot for a run stuffer who provides little pass rush, especially with Pierce waiting in the wings.

The caveat here is the Ravens need to do everything they can to sign Jernigan to a contract extension this offseason. If he hits the open market he will make a bundle.

Well said. I hadn't even thought of the Jernigan side of things but you are absolutely right.

#350 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,668 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:48 PM

Interesting take.   I can see both sides of the argument.  I wonder what percentage of his sacks have come with Williams in the game.

They may be related.

@mikeghg

#351 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:14 PM

Interesting take. I can see both sides of the argument. I wonder what percentage of his sacks have come with Williams in the game.

They may be related.

Could be true that Williams helps out Jernigan, but I also think Timmy is just a really talented player in his own right. Williams comes off the field a lot on passing downs, although not always.

Jernigan has 267 pass rush snaps, Williams has 176. Not sure how many they both have together.

Also important to note that Jernigan has played 40 more snaps than Williams in total which also speaks to his value. It's not a huge amount, but his ability as a pass rusher is apparent and badly needed.
@gabefergy

#352 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,668 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:27 PM

Could be true that Williams helps out Jernigan, but I also think Timmy is just a really talented player in his own right. Williams comes off the field a lot on passing downs, although not always.

Jernigan has 267 pass rush snaps, Williams has 176. Not sure how many they both have together.

Also important to note that Jernigan has played 40 more snaps than Williams in total which also speaks to his value. It's not a huge amount, but his ability as a pass rusher is apparent and badly needed.

Yeah, in a perfect world we could keep them both, but that is highly unlikely..  It is a tough call.  I might do whichever you can get cheaper.  I just don't look at Williams as just a run stopper.  He is so much more.  He is constantly getting that double or at least getting chipped by a second guy.    

@mikeghg

#353 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:47 PM

Our cap is more forgiving to me when I look at it than you might think it is. Plenty of guys coming off the books for next year. Just a question of if you want a splash at WR or pass rusher, IMO.

Young should help really keep costs down in the secondary. But do you also need to add a piece on the OL too. There will be some cost benefit, but I won't have a problem if both of them stay as long as it fits within the right plan. 

Agreed Jernigan is the guy to keep though. Rushing the passer is the most important phase of the game. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=