#1 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

That according to the standings on ESPN.com. That's the 10th best percentage in the AL.
They get that stat from a site called coolstandings.com. Here's their explanation: http://www.coolstand...com/welcome.asp

Do you think that percentage is roughly correct?

If so, or it's somewhat close, does it make sense to give up anything for the future for rentals?

I know this has been discussed plenty, but I thought it was interesting to see a number attached to the O's playoff chances.

#2 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

I think it is about twice as high as it should be. 3.1% sounds about right to me. The O's run differential is even worse then the '05 Padres (-42). It is of course conceivable they get hot again but the last month has looked a lot more realistic to me then April and May did.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#3 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

Run differential isn't the sole predictor of playoff chances.

Just look at how the Cardinals are doing and how the Red Sox are doing for example.

This team needs to be all in because besides 2005, this is our best shot in 15 years at the playoffs and there's no guarantee that the 2013 or 2014 teams will be this good.

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

Just look at how the Cardinals are doing and how the Red Sox are doing for example.

This team needs to be all in because besides 2005, this is our best shot in 15 years at the playoffs and there's no guarantee that the 2013 or 2014 teams will be this good.

Neither one is a good example. The Red Sox aren't underperforming their differential by much, and the Cardinals are streaking--they're doing the same thing as the Orioles, only going the other way.

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

Yes, I mentioned this in the "Our future is now" thread when debating Peter and, whether intentional or not, he never responded. Not trying to call him out but I do think it's a reality for those that want us to buy need to face. Now, maybe we do have a better than 6% chance though IMO that seems about right to me. Even the most orange colored of optimists can't put us above 15-20%.

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

I would still have liked (would like) to see the Orioles add a few pieces if they can do so cheaply. I haven't seen exactly what Liriano was traded for but have read that it was a pretty modest package, and he is someone I really would have liked to add for the last two months.

I'm not for mortgaging the future or anything that could be construed that way, but I'd move a few of the guys in the 10-20 range for some shorter term help (Liriano, Victorino, some 3B/2B help) as well as move higher rated options if they bring back a longer-term solution (Headley).

I don't think it's an awful decision or an injustice to the team and fans if they don't add anybody, but I would prefer to see some additional help brought in, even just average pieces, as long as it doesn't cost very much in prospects.

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:50 PM

I would still have liked (would like) to see the Orioles add a few pieces if they can do so cheaply. I haven't seen exactly what Liriano was traded for but have read that it was a pretty modest package, and he is someone I really would have liked to add for the last two months.

I'm not for mortgaging the future or anything that could be construed that way, but I'd move a few of the guys in the 10-20 range for some shorter term help (Liriano, Victorino, some 3B/2B help) as well as move higher rated options if they bring back a longer-term solution (Headley).

I don't think it's an awful decision or an injustice to the team and fans if they don't add anybody, but I would prefer to see some additional help brought in, even just average pieces, as long as it doesn't cost very much in prospects.

I really don't see any value in Liriano right now. His FIP and xFIP are better than his base ERA, but he'll also be moving into a tougher park in a tougher division, he walks way too many guys and already gives up a homer a game in a below-average home-run park.

He's more likely to struggle than turn things around, and even if it looks like he does start to find himself again he walks anyway.

Yeah, he doesn't cost much. However, over two-thirds of the season he's been essentially a win better than Tommy Hunter (fWAR). In four starts Chris Tillman was worth almost half of Liriano's value over seventeen. If we want to fix someone over two months in the majors, Arrieta is in the same boat with his ERA versus his FIPs.

On the surface, the talent in that left arm and the apparent low cost makes this sound like a missed opportunity. However, the more I look at it the more convinced I become that it really isn't one.

#8 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:17 AM

I really don't see any value in Liriano right now. His FIP and xFIP are better than his base ERA, but he'll also be moving into a tougher park in a tougher division, he walks way too many guys and already gives up a homer a game in a below-average home-run park.

He's more likely to struggle than turn things around, and even if it looks like he does start to find himself again he walks anyway.

Yeah, he doesn't cost much. However, over two-thirds of the season he's been essentially a win better than Tommy Hunter (fWAR). In four starts Chris Tillman was worth almost half of Liriano's value over seventeen. If we want to fix someone over two months in the majors, Arrieta is in the same boat with his ERA versus his FIPs.

On the surface, the talent in that left arm and the apparent low cost makes this sound like a missed opportunity. However, the more I look at it the more convinced I become that it really isn't one.

But if you break down his season rather than look at is a whole, you'll see that he has turned things around. He's been quite good since returning to the rotation other than his most recent start, which was awful. That last start was actually against the White Sox, so they obviously weren't discouraged much by it.

His HR numbers aren't that bad in totality either, but especially not since returning to the rotation, again, other than his last start. 3 Hr's allowed in 65ish innings before then. Even counting that start, 6 in 68 innings is fine. He didn't give up any in relief either. He's also not a big HR's allowed guy for his career.

#9 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:19 AM

Yes, I mentioned this in the "Our future is now" thread when debating Peter and, whether intentional or not, he never responded. Not trying to call him out but I do think it's a reality for those that want us to buy need to face. Now, maybe we do have a better than 6% chance though IMO that seems about right to me. Even the most orange colored of optimists can't put us above 15-20%.

Yeah, that's why I'm good with standing pat for the most part even though Liriano would have been nice.

I don't see much point to trading away much to make a run this year. Guys like Headley are of course a different case.

If the team had played better recently, I would have been more supportive of them being aggressive to win this season.

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:31 AM

I really don't see any value in Liriano right now.

What mweb said. I'd take Liriano over the remainder of the season over everybody else in our rotation who isn't Chen. Maybe I'm wrong and he won't be the best of the bunch, but I can pretty much guarantee he'd finish in the top 4 and be an upgrade.

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

Liriano, by himself, does very little for this team.

#12 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

Did I say it was Trea? However, it is a fact that only one team with a run differential greater then -20 has ever made the playoffs. Only 6 total have done it at all.

Kinda silly to ignore it entirely.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

That's sort of what I'm afraid of, everyone likes to think will be "better" in the future, but we've been hearing that for the last 14+ years. We're always 2-3 years away form competing. Remember the cavalary was supposed to do great things... still waiting there and looking gloomier by the day.
@levineps

#14 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

Liriano, by himself, does very little for this team.

Well besides potentially adding a couple wins or so.

#15 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

Just for reference, Baseball Prospectus gives the Orioles a 3.4% chance of making the playoffs.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLKevinEbert

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

Just for reference, Baseball Prospectus gives the Orioles a 3.4% chance of making the playoffs.

Whats the formula for these things is it math-based or is it opinion OR both? Does it take into consideration things like past years performance or how much money players are making? Just curious how exactly these things get formulated.
@levineps

#17 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

Whats the formula for these things is it math-based or is it opinion OR both? Does it take into consideration things like past years performance or how much money players are making? Just curious how exactly these things get formulated.

Math based. You can look at the link I provided for the explanation of what's used on ESPN and BP for their explanation.

How much money players make is not considered.

#18 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

From how I understand it, CoolStandings does their system as more of a "this season only" guess, while BP takes into account past performance and player projections and other things.

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

From how I understand it, CoolStandings does their system as more of a "this season only" guess, while BP takes into account past performance and player projections and other things.

Thanks interesting
@levineps

#20 erb8472

erb8472
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

Up to 11.3% after two games. That should be enough to show you that these predictions aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Win 2 games against the team leading the division and suddenly your chances almost double?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=