Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:08 PM

From the O's twitter:

The Orioles have claimed LHP Jed Bradley from the Braves. To make room on the 40-man roster, INF Paul Janish has been DFA.

http://www.baseball-...id=bradle000jed

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:15 PM

I remember conversations about him over at OH when he was a high first round pick.

#3 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,762 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:21 PM

Certainly a reasonable claim.  He's still young and has had some upside not yet realized.

Is he out of options?  Seems like the only reason for the Braves to waive him at this point.

#4 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:13 PM

Certainly a reasonable claim.  He's still young and has had some upside not yet realized.

Is he out of options?  Seems like the only reason for the Braves to waive him at this point.

Just debuted after last month's roster expansions, so not out of options. They had just picked him up in June.

#5 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,661 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:21 PM

MiL numbers not encouraging.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#6 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:29 PM

Had noticed. Wondered if ATL was just not high on what they saw and wanted to dump him quickly (even though he did okay in those few games with Gwinnett, and mixed bag after the debut).

#7 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,762 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:45 PM

Just debuted after last month's roster expansions, so not out of options. They had just picked him up in June.

We'd actually have to know a little more information to make that statement (like when he debuted on the Brewers 40-man), but if that's true, then there's likely some other issue there.

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 October 2016 - 03:45 PM

Well, depends on how you want to view them.

First of all. he started a lot in the minors.  He isn't likely a starter anymore.  He is a reliever.

Last year, he made 35 appearances...13 as a starter.  He threw a total of 107.2 IP.  He gave up TWO homers.  He struck out 108 batters.  He walked 40.  The walks are the issue there.

As a reliever, there could be good upside there. 

Coming out of college, he was intriguing because he kept the ball down.  He has given up 31 homers in 499 innings in the minors.  His GO/AO ratio is almost 2:1 in the minors. 

This is an excellent buy low, see what the hell happens move by Duquette.  If he keep the walks down, he should be able to get lots of groundouts, his fair share of Ks and he won't give up many homers. 

To me, this is as good of an under the radar move as DD has made.  Whether it works out or not is to be seen but hes an excellent target IMO.

• Dr. FLK, Icterus galbula and NewMarketSean like this

#9 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,762 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 08 October 2016 - 04:59 PM

As a reliever, there could be good upside there. 

That's all this is, an opportunity to see if the guy can mature his game as a reliever.  Nothing wrong with that.

Hart has certainly earned the first opportunity to make the 2017 team, but they should be adding a 2nd LHer as they wait on the development of Tanner Scott and Cleavinger.

#10 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:57 AM

We'd actually have to know a little more information to make that statement (like when he debuted on the Brewers 40-man), but if that's true, then there's likely some other issue there.

He was never on the Brewers' 40-man that I know of, got exposed to Rule V in '14 and '15 but no one bit. Last year they converted him to relief, but when the Braves got him earlier this year, they quickly turned him back into a starter, September notwithstanding. The relief flier angle has merit, sure, but the control would have to improve to inspire confidence. So we'll see what happens....

#11 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:11 AM

He has one option remaining. Very surprised that he was cut. I wouldn't give up on him as a starter because we have a few guys that were late bloomers like Tillman. I would expect that there's something we don't know about. 

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:20 AM

He has one option remaining. Very surprised that he was cut. I wouldn't give up on him as a starter because we have a few guys that were late bloomers like Tillman. I would expect that there's something we don't know about.

Tillman bloomed at a younger age.

#13 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:30 AM

Tillman bloomed at a younger age.

I was thinking more in terms of options then actual age. 

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:38 AM

I was thinking more in terms of options then actual age.

Ok but that's not really a good way to look at it. Tillman showed some promise earlier than 2012 but 2012 is when he turned the corner...at age 24.

This will be Bradley's age 27 season. He shouldn't be viewed as a starter anymore.

He should be moved to the pen and he could become a big weapon there.

#15 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:12 PM

Matt_P, on 09 Oct 2016 - 08:16, said:

Explain. I had seen the "assigned to Milwaukee Brewers" in March '15 and March '16 on his MiLB player page; his subsequent MiL assignments in April '15 and April '16 read as not coming from the Brewers, but from the MiL level he was at at the end of the previous season. Does that just mean he was with the Brewers for awhile in those STs, got cut before the seasons, and reverted to the affiliates, thus preserving his options at the time? If so, he should have more than one option left. Atlanta bringing him up was the first 40-man appearance I could find for him (though that doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot). Not quite understanding....

#16 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:51 PM

Explain. I had seen the "assigned to Milwaukee Brewers" in March '15 and March '16 on his MiLB player page; his subsequent MiL assignments in April '15 and April '16 read as not coming from the Brewers, but from the MiL level he was at at the end of the previous season. Does that just mean he was with the Brewers for awhile in those STs, got cut before the seasons, and reverted to the affiliates, thus preserving his options at the time? If so, he should have more than one option left. Atlanta bringing him up was the first 40-man appearance I could find for him (though that doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot). Not quite understanding....

https://twitter.com/...470180709662720

I haven't looked into the situation myself. I'd think he'd have two options remaining also though. 

#17 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,762 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:05 PM

Explain.

There are certainly some other things that may be considered...he was drafted in 2011 (same as Bundy) which was the last year you could do some of the squirrelly stuff when you signed guys.

....but the Brewers control him off the 40-man for 3 years.  He was drafted in 2011 so that's '12, '13, '14.  Then they have to put him on the 40-man and burn options....and he was sent down in '15 and '16....so one option remaining.

It still doesn't really make sense to me why a rebuilding team like the Braves let's a 26 year old 1st rd pick LHer walk for nothing...heck, he even went to school in the Atlanta area (and is from Huntsville, AL)....it's not an options thing (he appears to have one left)...so they are either really, really unimpressed with him....or there's something else.

#18 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:38 PM

....but the Brewers control him off the 40-man for 3 years.  He was drafted in 2011 so that's '12, '13, '14.  Then they have to put him on the 40-man and burn options....and he was sent down in '15 and '16....so one option remaining.

It still doesn't really make sense to me why a rebuilding team like the Braves let's a 26 year old 1st rd pick LHer walk for nothing...heck, he even went to school in the Atlanta area (and is from Huntsville, AL)....it's not an options thing (he appears to have one left)...so they are either really, really unimpressed with him....or there's something else.

The Brewers decided not to protect him from the Rule V Draft. 

#19 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,762 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:49 PM

The Brewers decided not to protect him from the Rule 5 Draft. 

OK....then something else is different.  I was just looking how he gets to 1 option.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:14 PM

Interested to hear about him this Spring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=