58 replies to this topic

#21 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:41 AM

I'm through the first 6 songs (disc 1). The two singles that have been out are solid. The other 4 are doing nothing for me. The best complement I can think of is, at least it's not St. Anger.

Never going to,be what they once were, but I really enjoyed Death Magnetic. So far this isn't close.

Hopefully disc 2 picks up the slack.
@BSLMikeRandall

#22 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:42 PM

So I think my final review of the new album would be summed up as 20% Justice album, 80% Load/Reload, and not the good parts of those albums. Some of the songs come in with a hard hitting, bang your head, this is gonna be awesome, Justice album feel...then 30 seconds it turns groovy. Wordy. Simple. Kirk has no standout solos.

It has no identity. Should have stuck with Rick Rubin producing. It seems like an album for the sake of making an album. Sad they spent 15 months on it and that's what came out.

Save the $12 and steal the two singles off the internet.
@BSLMikeRandall

#23 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:21 AM

Coming to Baltimore:

http://m.baltimorera...61-344101fdf86a
  • Mike in STL likes this

#24 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:47 PM

Robert Mays, the football writer, is a big Metallica fan and he interviewed Lars for the Ringer:

https://theringer.co...445b#.4bm58sg1c

With how much you guys have played and how long you’ve been doing this, I’m sure it gets mind-numbing after a while. I mean, how many times would you guess you’ve played Creeping Death”?

I can tell you. I think it’s right around 1,800. We’ve played just under 2,000 shows. When I put together the set list, I have all these crazy show statistics that I sit with. I’ll sit with all the songs and how many times we’ve played it, and how many times we’ve played it in that specific city we’re in. So I can always change the set list and make it more special. If we’re in Baltimore, and we’ve never played “Wherever I May Roam” in Baltimore, it’s like, “Oh, I can put that in, and that’s special to Baltimore.” I have a little printout of that shit every day, as fucking pathetic as that sounds. So I can tell you we’ve played “Creeping Death” around 1,800 times, give or take a few.

• Mike in STL likes this

#25 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:02 PM

2 field tickets. $311 total. After fees...$380!! What the hell is a $26 service fee, a $5 facility charge, and a $6 processing fee, per ticket!!
@BSLMikeRandall

#26 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:41 AM

It should be illegal, but some how it isn't.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#27 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:20 AM

When people stop spending obscene amounts of money for concert tickets, prices will fall. Of course, they won't.

I may not see a concert this year, at least a big one, because of this. I'd like to see Roger Waters again, but two tix in nosebleeds will run $180 or so.

#28 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:00 PM

HELL YES!!!!!94e2b3827ba8040931bcc37a6e5b5f8f.jpg
  • Icterus galbula and Dupin like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#29 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:02 AM

Tonights Setlist:

Part 1: 

Hardwired

Atlas, Rise!

For Whom the Bell Tolls

Fuel

The Unforgiven

Now That We're Dead

Moth Into Flame

Wherever I May Roam

Halo on Fire

Break:

Kirk and Rob play instrumentals of Bleeding Me and I Disappear

Rob plays Anesthesia - Pulling Teeth. (Tribute to Cliff Burton)

Part 2:

Hit the Lights

Sad But True

One

Master of Puppets

Fade to Black (Tribute to Anton Yelchin from the film "Through the Never")

Seek and Destroy

Encore:

Battery

Nothing Else Matters

Enter Sandman

Thoughts on the day:
Fuggin Awesome!! First, had dinner at Alewife. They had music playing in the restaurant, but "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly" on TV. Wonder if that was a subtle nod to Metallica since Metallica always comes on stage to "The Ecstasy of Gold" from the graveyard scene.

Didn't know the first thing about opening act, Volbeat. They rocked, turns out I had heard their last song before. Avenged Sevenfold rocked as well. Both got the crowds fired up for the main event.

Metallica still has it in their older age. They were loud as hell, fast as hell, Kirk only showed rust once during the opening to "One". They still bring it. I wasn't a big fan of the new album, but the new songs live, killed. I may pop Hardwired back in for another go round tomorrow and see if it resonates differently. 

Heavy on the new album early in the show, but they have to pimp it. When I saw them on the St. Anger Tour they played one song off of the new album (thank god only one). Played five tracks off of "Hardwired..." tonight.

Tribute to Cliff was unexpected and well done.

Part 2 of the setlist is what you really come to see. Loved that they played Hit the Lights. Track 1 off of Album 1, for Show 1 of the tour. The rest of Part 2 are staples at every show, but they usually put some deeper cuts in there, Hit the Lights was this one. Could have had more if not for playing five songs off the new album. 

Durning Seek and Destroy, the video behind the band highlighted two Baltimore stops at clubs on the 1983 tour schedule. The Seagull club in Pasadena, and Coast to Coast Club, which I believe may have later become Hammerjacks. Not sure though.

I called the encore. My wife asked if they were done after Seek and Destroy. I said, "No, they'll play three more songs. Nothing Else Matters and Sandman for sure. Maybe Battery." 

The band used guitar picks with Baltimore and the date on one side, and the Metallica logo in Baltimore's city flag pattern on the other. 

A much tamer crowd then I remember at hard rock concerts. The reason...cell phones. No one has time to mosh when you can at any time be an arms length from someone trying to film a whole damn 8 minute song. Not complaining though. I'm to old for that shit. 

My wife is yet agin a trooper. Could hardly see over the crowd. Didn't mind standing even though I insisted we could sit somewhere, or move farther back. Didn't leave to pee, toughed it out with uncomfortable shoes standing still for 4 hours. Pretty sure I'll have to pay it back if there is a Spice Girls reunion tour. Totally worth it though.

Hell of a show. Worth every penny. Not sure how much longer they can keep up the intensity. Wonder if the Baltimore crowd benefitted by getting the kickoff show. The band is fresh. By the end of the tour maybe they are running on fumes. 

• Pedro Cerrano, Icterus galbula, Markus and 1 other like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#30 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:01 AM

Awesome show.  Wish they had played Creeping Death.

• Icterus galbula, Mike in STL and Dupin like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#31 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:46 PM

Lucky.  They played US Bank like two weeks before I moved here, don't think I'll get to see them this round.  I guess seeing Tool is my consolation prize.

#32 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:06 AM

Lucky.  They played US Bank like two weeks before I moved here, don't think I'll get to see them this round.  I guess seeing Tool is my consolation prize.

How far are you from Newton Iowa? They are there in June.
@BSLMikeRandall

#33 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:13 AM

Just looked up the set list from the Philly show on Friday. It's the same top to bottom in order as the BMore show except they got Creeping Death instead of Fuel. And Motorbreath instead of Hit the Lights.

That's a little weak. Metallica typically plays vastly different set lists so that no two shows are the same. Except for the staples of course (Puppets, One, Sandman, Seek and Destroy...)
@BSLMikeRandall

#34 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:24 AM

Ha, the first thing I thought when I saw the setlist was "Where's creeping death?"

Still looked pretty good for you guys. "For whom the bell tolls" and "battery" alone would make me happy.

I saw them at "Summer sanitarium" twice. These bastards know how to put on a show.

• Mike in STL likes this

#35 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:29 AM

People should also read "For Whom the Bell Tolls" its one of my favorite books of all time.

I knew the song before digesting the book but when you get to the chapter and scene that the song is based on you get chills. I'll be goddamned if I didn't immediately put on Metallica when I came to it. 

• Mike in STL likes this

#36 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:30 AM

So, do they have any good songs?

#37 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:04 PM

People should also read "For Whom the Bell Tolls" its one of my favorite books of all time.

I knew the song before digesting the book but when you get to the chapter and scene that the song is based on you get chills. I'll be goddamned if I didn't immediately put on Metallica when I came to it.

Yep. Love that novel. So good.
  • Icterus galbula likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#38 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:55 PM

Spoiler alert: the bell doesn't toll for the dead. It tolls for thee. It tolls for thee.

#39 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 05:30 PM

Looks like more than a third of their set tonight will be off the new album  :( .  Hardwired, Spit out the Bone, and Moth Into Flame are alright, but I could leave the rest. 

I'm going to be sad if they don't play Creeping Death.

• Mike in STL likes this

#40 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:22 AM

We had a better set than Madison.  Their only big stadium song it was missing was Fuel.  Gotta give them a hell of a lot of credit, those dudes played for a good 2.5+ hours.  Definitely got my money's worth.

We had:

Hardwired

Atlas, Rise

Seek & Destroy

Harvester of Sorrow

No Leaf Clover (pleasant surprise, apparently first performance since 2011)

Now That We're Dead

Creeping Death

For Whom the Bell Tolls

Halo of Fire

(When Doves Cry)

Breadfan

The Memory Remains

Moth Into Flame

Sad but True

One

Master of Puppets

Spit Out the Bone