HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

Not a bad idea.

Any good books your reading right now?

I, of course, read the Hunger Games trilogy a few months ago. I'm half way through the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy. I've read, and greatly enjoyed "Divergent" by Veronica Roth, she has a sequel out, "Insurgent", which was just released, and will be releasing the final installment of that trilogy I believe sometime next year. It's already been picked up by a studio, so hopefully we'll see those movies made soon.

On my kindle I also have the "Tomorrow" series by John Marsden. The first book is "Tomorrow, When The War began". I haven't read it yet, but I've heard good things.

Others on the cue are: "The Hero of Ages" and "The War of Ascension" by Brandon Sanderson.
  • Russ likes this

#3 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

As a writer working on numerous projects, including the 2nd of the SoulBound Saga, I'd love to have a Books Forum added. I'd also love to see if there are other writers here at BSL, as I have a very cool co-op concept I'd like to discuss.
  • Russ likes this

#4 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

I've recently started reading the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly. Connelly is excellent.

The first book in the series, The Black Echo, was unpredictable and well written. Connelly uses the novel for a lot of background on Bosch and he comes off as extremely likable. An excellent story that ties into Bosch's Vietnam experience which is a big part of his character.

The second book, The Black Ice, revolves around a cop's suicide, and takes Bosch into Mexico.

Connelly has a way of writing where you can almost predict what's going to happen, but you're not quite sure. He gives readers hints here and there without giving up too much of the story which is a difficult thing for some writers to do.

I'm also reading a couple math books. More reference stuff than linear.

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

Right now I'm reading a book called Redcoat's Revenge by David Fitz-Enz. He's a retired U.S. Army colonel who has written history in the past, including a book on the Battle of Plattsburgh in the War of 1812.

This book is set during the same war, but is alternate history based around the assignment of the Duke of Wellington to the American invasion plan after the first defeat of Napoleon in 1813. There's a lot of really nice information in the book--I'm right up to the burning of Washington, since the war follows essentially the same path until Wellington arrives--but it is definitely fiction written by a historian.

I'm excited to get my copy of Coup d'Etat, from Harry Turtledove's The War That Came Early series, when the library sends it on Tuesday. That is a series I have found myself very interested by, even though at times the extreme scope of the story is a bit dizzying.

#6 KRL224

KRL224
  • Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

At the moment I'm working on The Way Home by George Pelecanos. Next on tap, I'll be finishing up the dragon tattoo series.
@KRL224

#7 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

Thanks, guys.

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

Nice.

#9 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

I've re-posted our book chat within this new Thread...

Thanks Skeletor.

Enjoy.

#10 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

I'm a big fan of non-fiction WWII books. Some of my favorites are Pegasus Bridge (Stephen E Ambrose), An Army at Dawn and The Day of Battle (Rick Atkinson) and The Few (Alex Kershaw). Five Days in London, May 1940 by John Lukas is great as it details the days when Chamberlain resigned and Churchill took over as Prime Minister. It wasn't a cakewalk, France was falling apart and he was having to deal with Lord Halifax negativity.

I mostly do them in audio book format as I spend a good deal of time in my car and they make the time go by quickly. I'm currently finishing Miracle at Midway (Gordon W Prange). On my IPOD: The Battle for Spain (Antony Beevor), Retribution: The Battle for Japan (Max Hastings), Churchill and America (Martin Gilbert) and One Day in Washington (David Bercuson).

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#11 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

Kate Atkinson (recurring character Jackson Brodie) is a great novelist.
I don't know how she does the "it's a small world" thing so well, but she does.
Read them in order (not crucial, but optimal.)
Sometimes it takes just a little while to get into them, but otherwise perfect.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#12 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

The Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foote.

Other than the fact that it's three 900-page volumes, I don't know why I haven't read this earlier. I'm about 20-percent through Volume One, and I'm hooked.

#13 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:44 AM

The Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foote.

Other than the fact that it's three 900-page volumes, I don't know why I haven't read this earlier. I'm about 20-percent through Volume One, and I'm hooked.

Your mention of 900pp books reminds me of when my bride handed me Lonesome Dove and told me it has to be in the running for the Great American Novel ™.

Me: "What's it about?"
Her: "Oh, it's story about a couple over-the-hill ex-Texas Rangers moving cows from Texas to Montana."
Me: "You really think I'm gonna fall in love with a 900pp book about old cowboys?"
Her: "Trust me."

She was right.
How many 900pp books cause you to hate to see it end? Well, there's at least one...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#14 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

Your mention of 900pp books reminds me of when my bride handed me Lonesome Dove and told me it has to be in the running for the Great American Novel ™.

Me: "What's it about?"
Her: "Oh, it's story about a couple over-the-hill ex-Texas Rangers moving cows from Texas to Montana."
Me: "You really think I'm gonna fall in love with a 900pp book about old cowboys?"
Her: "Trust me."

She was right.
How many 900pp books cause you to hate to see it end? Well, there's at least one...

The first one I read like that was Chesapeake by James Michener, and I didn't know if I'd be able to do it the first time.

I've re-read it four or five times since...

#15 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

FREE

FREE Kindle version of 'A Mile in Their Shoes: Conversations With Veterans of World War II' by
Aaron Elson.

FREE

http://www.amazon.co...duct/B0045OUMTQ

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#16 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:22 PM

I haven't started it yet, but I just got They Eat Puppies, Don't They? by Christopher Buckley. I really like his books.

#17 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

Here's a listing of the books I've read in the last few months. I've been slowing down recently because school and my son are taking up a lot of my previously free time.

Game Theory 101 by William Spaniel
Learn to Program with Java by Professor Smiley
Stephen King On Writing
The Elements of Style by William Strunk
Extra Innings by Baseball Prospectus

By Michael Connelly:

The Black Echo
The Black Ice
The Concrete Blonde
The Last Coyote
Trunk Music
Angels Flight
A Darkness More Than Night
City of Bones
Lost Light
The Poet
The Narrows

Currently Reading:

A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn
I'm about a quarter of the way through this right now. I'll post some thoughts in the other thread soon.
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

#18 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

That's what you call slowing down? Wow, I feel embarrassed about how little I read.

Looking forward to the thoughts on A People's History.

I just finished The Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons. Disagreed with a decent amount, but it was very entertaining, informative, and mostly well thought out.

#19 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

I get to read a lot because my lady goes to bed early and I am more of a 6 hour a night guy so I get 2-3 hours a night of uninterrupted reading. I lay in bed and read my kindle.

#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

I just finished reading Ernest Cline's first book, Ready Player One.

This book was simply phenomenal. Chock full of 80's pop culture references, which I'm sure everyone would eat up.

http://www.amazon.co... ... player one

I should mention that the rights to this book have already been secured by a studio, and there are plans of making this into a film sometime soon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)

Our Sponsors

width=