#41 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:20 AM

I don't really understand the hatred for the game. 

But then again, add this to list of thousands of other things people seem to have formed incredibly strong, negative opinions about that I don't understand. 

@AdamWolff

#42 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:24 AM

I don't really understand the hatred for the game. 

But then again, add this to list of thousands of other things people seem to have formed incredibly strong, negative opinions about that I don't understand. 

Seems to me it's less about hatred for the game, and more about total disdain for the cretins who let the game lead them into doing moronic things.   The game seems pretty good at doing that...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#43 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:32 AM

Seems to me it's less about hatred for the game, and more about total disdain for the cretins who let the game lead them into doing moronic things.   The game seems pretty good at doing that...

There are even more people doing just as stupid things without the game, the media is just on a mission to highlight anything having to do with it because that's the narrative right now.

People just like to bitch about things, it doesn't matter what it is, that's just the cool thing to do right now, bitch about people playing a game because they think they sound cool. How about we talk about the obnoxious runner people "I just ran 10.6 miles but I gotta get my time up" or the people talking politics, or the idiots that rant about something and have NO CLUE what they are even talking about on FB. Social media has been as much of a curse as it has a blessing.

• Mike in STL likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#44 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:56 AM

Sorry but staring at your phone walking around or driving is asinine. That's not media, that's just common sense stupid.

#45 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:59 AM

One of my friends who is a school teacher stopped on the shoulder of I70 the other day so her kids could catch a Pokemon.

#46 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:30 AM

Sorry but staring at your phone walking around or driving is asinine. That's not media, that's just common sense stupid.

My point being that they are doing it with or without Pokemon, people just want to blame that and have it be some big thing, when really it's no different than what is already happening. I promise you that people are walking into traffic while texting, or driving into people while checking FB JUST as much as people are doing it with Pokemon, the narrative is just blaming this game pretending that it wasn't already happening. THAT part, is media.

@JeremyMStrain

#47 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:47 AM

My point being that they are doing it with or without Pokemon, people just want to blame that and have it be some big thing, when really it's no different than what is already happening. I promise you that people are walking into traffic while texting, or driving into people while checking FB JUST as much as people are doing it with Pokemon, the narrative is just blaming this game pretending that it wasn't already happening. THAT part, is media.
I don't watch the news and haven't been on social media the past week so I'm creating my own narrative. I think it's beyond ridiculous but to each their own. I'll shut up for real this time. Whatever makes people happy I s'pose.

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:56 AM

Don't care at all about people playing the game... you / they enjoy it, great...  have fun...

But this is just the latest personal example to me that I'm old lol.

#49 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:52 PM

It's a fad.   Fads garner media attention.

This particular fad is different than most others, in that some of the fadsters end up doing things that are either disrespectul (walking on graves at Arlington) or dangerous (insert any of many examples here).   Most fads don't do that.  This one does.  

So, it's the combination of media attention to fads and people being rude or moronic or both...

• JeremyStrain likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#50 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:53 PM

My wife has been into this since just after it started.

She's sucked me in. Ugh. It's great.

#51 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:09 PM

People still do this?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#52 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:38 PM

People still do this?

I went to a raid, and there were 20 of us in Reisterstown (near The Cow).

More than half were older than me, including my neighbor who lives two houses down. 

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:43 PM

The Ringer: ‘Pokémon Go,’ the World’s Loneliest Game, Finally Found Friends

• The Epic likes this

#54 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

Also, I have no issue whatsoever with people that think that it's colossally stupid...because it is. It's really dumb. But if I'm home playing Plants vs Zombies with my son, then watching WWE 2 or 3 nights a week...I mean, all of us do dumb stuff. Most of us on this board watched at least 100 games related to the 2007 Orioles, let's be real here. 

But we all have stupid vices, and at least this had led people to being social with others. I'm not mad about that! What's the difference between that and, say, a bunch of weirdos from a message board meeting at a bar? 

Yeah, people are stupid and block traffic, or get themselves into dumb situations BECAUSE THEY ARE DUMB TO BEGIN WITH. This game only accelerated the dumbness imo. 

• DuffMan likes this

#55 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:47 AM

My wife has been into this since just after it started.

She's sucked me in. Ugh. It's great.

Late to the party, but I'm in on this game too, my daughter plays it too when I let her.  On a related note we are getting sucked into the CCG game as well, I bought her a starter dark, partially because I wanted to give the card game a whirl.  #nerdcard

• The Epic likes this

#56 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:00 PM

Anybody still playing this, hit me up in PM for my friend code. I'm up for trading some stuff.

#57 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:33 PM

Random, but my wife and I went to Pokemon GO Fest in Chicago this weekend, and had a friggin' blast. Made lots of new friends, had some great food and drink, and...of course...caught a shit-ton of Pokemon.

It's the last trip before my wife's surgery, and she really wanted to go, so we drove the ten hours to get there. 100% worth it.

• BSLChrisStoner, JeremyStrain, BobPhelan and 2 others like this

#58 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:21 AM

Know nothing about Pokemon...but think its awesome you went and did something fun for you guys together.
  • The Epic likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=