#1 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:45 AM

The ACC held it's annual media days (known as the ACC Kickoff) the past few days.

Here are the results of the media voting for ACC predictions this year:

Atlantic Division
1. Florida State (72) 543
2. Clemson (17) 470
3. NC State (5) 402
4. Wake Forest 241
5. Boston College 181
6. Maryland 148

Coastal Division
1. Virginia Tech (83) 558
2. Georgia Tech (10) 421
3. North Carolina (2) 341
4. Virginia 326
5. Miami 245
6. Duke 104

ACC Championship Votes
1. Florida State 60
2. Virginia Tech 18
3. Clemson 13
4. Georgia Tech 3
5. NC State 1

ACC Championship Game Predictions
1. Florida State over Virginia Tech 56
2. Virginia Tech over Florida State 12
3. Florida State over Georgia Tech 4
4T. Virginia Tech over Clemson 3
4T. Clemson over Georgia Tech 3

ACC Player of the Year Voting
1. Sammy Watkins, Clemson 25
2. Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech 21
3. EJ Manuel, Florida State 19
4. Tajh Boyd, Clemson 18
5. Mike Glennon, NC State 5
6. David Amerson, NC State 3
7T. Giovani Bernard, North Carolina 1
7T. Bryn Renner, North Carolina 1
7T. Tanner Price, Wake Forest 1
7T. Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech 1

It's been 7 years since Florida St. won the ACC! They are picked to win it again this year, which is probably the kiss of death. They probably won't even get out of the Atlantic, leading to their fan base whining that they should be in the Big 12 or SEC or some garbage.

UNC is ineligible for the postseason, and therefore for the conference championship game as well. Georgia Tech, while on NCAA probation, did not get a postseason ban, and is therefore eligible. Miami hasn't been given their sanctions yet, so they are still in the running, but they are going to get hit hard when it comes down.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

So all Maryland has to do is hope that the other 11 teams are all banned from the post-season in the same year?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

So all Maryland has to do is hope that the other 11 teams are all banned from the post-season in the same year?

I kind of like that the expectations are so low. I expect Maryland will surprise. I think they finish 4th in the ACC Atlantic, and I would not be surprised to see them challenge NCST for 3rd.

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

Make it 13 teams starting next year.

#5 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

I kind of like that the expectations are so low. I expect Maryland will surprise. I think they finish 4th in the ACC Atlantic, and I would not be surprised to see them challenge NCST for 3rd.

You willing to put this in the On the Record thread, because I'd be more than willing to take a bet on this one. NCST is a potential 10-win team this year. Maryland will be lucky to get to 5 wins. No way they come close to 3rd in the Atlantic.

-Walter Sobchak

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

You willing to put this in the On the Record thread, because I'd be more than willing to take a bet on this one. NCST is a potential 10-win team this year. Maryland will be lucky to get to 5 wins. No way they come close to 3rd in the Atlantic.

I'm on the record here, that is good enough. NCST is overrated, MD is underrated. They will be within a 1 game of each other in the Atlantic standings.

#7 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

I could buy 4th in the Atlantic. They might be tied for fourth (with either WF or BC) but it wouldn't surprise me if they're that high in the division. They could beat NCSU, especially if they get off to a good start and build confidence.

#8 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:55 AM

I'm on the record here, that is good enough. NCST is overrated, MD is underrated. They will be within a 1 game of each other in the Atlantic standings.

Well, so far you are about 50% right through one week. NCST didn't look great against Tennessee, although, at least it's an SEC program.

Still think Maryland is underrated? I don't.

-Walter Sobchak

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

Well, so far you are about 50% right through one week. NCST didn't look great against Tennessee, although, at least it's an SEC program.

Still think Maryland is underrated? I don't.

Maryland looked like a team that struggled a lot last season, and was playing a lot of youth.

Of course, part of the reason they were playing so much youth was that they were playing without their projected starting QB, DE, two backup DE's, a starting LB, a starting Safety, a backup Safety, possibly a starting CB, a starting RB, and their starting PK.

Most of those players will be back in the near term, and Maryland's youth will get better with experience.
I went 'On the Record' with Birds of B'More' betting that the Terps would would win 5+ games. I'll stick with that, but do admit that winning this coming week at Temple is important for that to happen, and MD will go in as a deserved significant under dog.

NCST has experience on the O-line, but not a lot of talent. The LB's are so-so. Glennon will again put up great numbers overall, and make poor decisions when it counts.

Even though MD has lost Brown and Monroe since I wrote what I wrote in July, I'll stand with that as well. The Terps finish within a game of NCST in the ACC Atlantic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=