#1 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,606 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:43 PM

This was discussed briefly in the WCF thread, wanted to start a new one here.  

KD is obviously a free agent after this season.  While all 30 teams would welcome him with open arms, I want to focus on three; OKC, the Lakers and the Wiz.  The case for all three:

The case for OKC:

This is the most likely scenario IMO.  OKC can pay him the most due to the CBA and, since the revenue sharing and cap and max deals go up after next year, I would guess he will sign again for one season to try to win a title with the current regime, which came very close this year.  After next season Westbrook is an FA and something tells me he is going to leave regardless which means OKC basically would have one more year to win.  The west is extremely tough which is a downside and it's possible that KD believes this franchise as constructed has gone as far as they can go.

The case for Washington:

Well, he is from DC obviously.  It's pretty much accepted that the Wiz have made moves to try and entice him (hiring his former coach(es), drafting Oubre who has a connection).  There is also an argument to be made that KD would be better off playing with Wall rather than Westbrook.  Wall is the better passer, better distributor, is less selfish, doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective etc etc.  Westbrook is obviously the better overall player, is a better rebounder and better defender (although Wall I still maintain is a pretty damn good defender himself when he's trying).  There is also the argument that I laid out above that KD wants to move on because he feels like the OKC team has maxed out on potential.  Also, all due respect to OKC but I'm sure he would rather live in DC than Oklahoma.  Finally, the East is not nearly the gauntlet the West is.  A Wizards team with Wall, Beal, Durant, Gortat and a suitable 4 (Morris for now) would be the second best team in the East IMO with really only one team in Cleveland to have to overcome.  The Wiz also have a decent amount of cap space to bring in another max player (this is void obviously if they give Beal a max deal).  The downside is that Grunfeld is a bonehead and there are rumors that he does not like coming home due to the attention.  My counter is that, yea, people from here hound him because he only comes to DC once a year.  If he played half his games here that "pressure" would lessen.

The case for LA:

Kobe is gone, tons of cap space.  Tons of great young talent with another top draft pick on the way.  A chance to play for the greatest franchise in NBA history and be the next star to have their jersey in the rafters.  I know I get on players that sign with the Yankees as being mercenaries but KD would be different as he wouldn't be joining a bunch of stars already in place.  Plus, the NBA is a much more individual game so any accolades given to him would be earned (he couldn't ride coattails like, say, ARod).  Plus, you know, living in LA has its benefits, is a great media market, etc etc.  All the intangible things that the Lakers use to sell on players applies here (although did not work with Aldridge who, coincidentally, went home to San Antonio).  Finally, a chance to play for Luke Walton, an up and coming coach and possibly reunite with Westbrook after this year who would certainly entertain coming home to Los Angeles.

So, a lot of possibilities and this doesn't even include the Spurs, Heat, Warriors, Celtics etc etc.  I really think he is going to sign with OKC for another year and then hit the motherload either in LA or DC.  But other teams remain a possibility.  I could see SA as a perfect fit if Parker, Duncan and Ginobili retire and they form a new core withe LA, Durant and Leonard to try to get Pop one more ring.

Should be fun to follow this offseason either way.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:49 PM

As I just said in the other thread, he should come back next year. It makes tons of sense financially and there's probably only one realistic situation which gives him a better shot at a ring next year, and that's Golden State, which would not be received well by many.

#3 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,606 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:50 PM

As I just said in the other thread, he should come back next year. It makes tons of sense financially and there's probably only one realistic situation which gives him a better shot at a ring next year, and that's Golden State, which would not be received well by many.

I haven't crunched the numbers, but I still can't believe they could pay him, Steph, Klay and Draymond.

@bopper33

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:51 PM

My gut says he stays in OKC. The money and years matter, but other than the Harden snafu (and it was a big snafu) the Thunder have been pretty committed to getting the talent needed to win. They are obviously close enough that, as currently comprised, they could win it all in any given year depending on how things break.

I don't know enough about the Wizards, other than Durant teaming up with Wall and Beal would be formidable. Durant keeps things close to the vest, so I don't know how much the hometown thing matters to him.

Even with Durant, I don't see the Lakers contending in 2016-17, so I don't know how seriously he'd consider them.

#5 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,606 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:52 PM

My gut says he stays in OKC. The money and years matter, but other than the Harden snafu (and it was a big snafu) the Thunder have been pretty committed to getting the talent needed to win. They are obviously close enough that, as currently comprised, they could win it all in any given year depending on how things break.

I don't know enough about the Wizards, other than Durant teaming up with Wall and Beal would be formidable. Durant keeps things close to the vest, so I don't know how much the hometown thing matters to him.

Even with Durant, I don't see the Lakers contending in 2016-17, so I don't know how seriously he'd consider them.

The selling point for LA would be that he would be able to entice other stars to sign there since they have gobs of cap space (especially after this year) and assets to deal for established stars.  They could form a nice mix of elite players, mid range players and young talent out there.  Yea, it would take a year or so, but they'd get there sooner than later IMO.

@bopper33

#6 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:52 PM

I haven't crunched the numbers, but I still can't believe they could pay him, Steph, Klay and Draymond.

They'd have to let Barnes walk and shed Iggy's payroll plus make another small move or two.

Letting Barnes go probably makes sense anyway. Sorry Seth.

#7 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,606 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:54 PM

Rumors are the Lakers are going to give Barnes a max deal which would obviously take them out of any sort of legitimate consideration.

I think that would be a dumb move but the Lakers haven't sucked like this in, well, forever really.  It's my hope they don't do something desperate just so they can win 45 games and lose in the first round.  That's the worst position to be in as Wiz fans well know.

@bopper33

#8 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:54 PM

If he wants to go to either DC or LA, he should just wait a year. Those teams aren't winning rings next year regardless imo so he should take another shot at a ring with OKC and make way more money while he's at it.

#9 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:55 PM

Is the West really that strong anymore. I see the Warriors slipping a bit though they'll still be very good. I think they need Curry to continue being the MVP of the league to win championships. I just don't think he can play at that level much, if any longer. He'll wear down quickly. Who knows how the transition in SA will go. Leonard and LA are both good but neither played that well against OKC. I'd especially be concerned about Aldridge. Are the Clippers really a threat anymore?? Paul is getting old and Griffin is a headcase.

I mean it's still a much easier road in the East, but I don't think the top of the West looks as daunting as it has in the past 3-5 years

#10 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,606 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:57 PM

I think the West is still pretty damn good.  If you don't get a top 4 seed your odds of even surviving the first round are slim.  The East is essentially a cake walk until you get to Cleveland and they have their issues too.

@bopper33

#11 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,606 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:58 PM

Btw, the case for him to sign with Miami is sort of a hybrid Wiz/Laker case. 

@bopper33

#12 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,606 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:59 PM

The Clippers will be back next year assuming health.  They were really screwed over in the playoffs due to injuries.  Coming in, it wouldn't have shocked me to see them challenge any of GS, OKC or SA

@bopper33

#13 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:06 AM

Again, if your looking for the easiest path to rings you pick a team or city in the East with a good young player and look to lure another stud FA to join you in the next 2 years

#14 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:07 AM

Again, if your looking for the easiest path to rings you pick a team or city in the East with a good young player and look to lure another stud FA to join you in the next 2 years

Maybe after next season.

#15 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,606 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:08 AM

Take out "young" in front of player and replace "next two years" with "right now" and this is precisely what LeBron did my friend.

@bopper33

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:09 AM

They'd have to let Barnes walk and shed Iggy's payroll plus make another small move or two.

They'd lose Ezeli too....which is risky considering Bogut is always a health question mark.

#17 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:12 AM

They'd lose Ezeli too....which is risky considering Bogut is always a health question mark.

There'd be risk, but if I'm the Warriors or KD, I'm liking my chances with a core of Curry, KD, Green, and Thompson.

#18 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,606 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:13 AM

There'd be risk, but if I'm the Warriors or KD, I'm liking my chances with a core of Curry, KD, Green, and Thompson.

Oh you'd like that core eh? Any other hot takes? ;-)

@bopper33

#19 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:13 AM

Oh you'd like that core eh? Any other hot takes? ;-)

Weren't you the one that said the Warriors shouldn't do that?

#20 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,606 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:15 AM

Weren't you the one that said the Warriors shouldn't do that?

I think they'd spend their money better elsewhere. But it's not like I'd kick that team out of bed

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=