• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

With each passing day, we get closer to September 1st, and the start of the 2012 University of Maryland Football season. During the past Month plus, we have interviewed Tim Strachan / Terps Radio Analyst (http://baltimorespor...ife.com/?p=4271), and Steven Lassan / Athlon Sports (http://baltimorespor...ife.com/?p=4220), getting their thoughts on the Terrapins.

Today we receive the comments of Phil Steele. Mr. Steele operates the website http://www.philsteele.com/, and annually produces his College Football Preview Magazine. The 2012 Edition is available at Newsstands now, and is an overwhelming wealth of information. It can also be purchased at this link: https://www.philsteele.com/store/ .

Recognized as one of the Nation’s most knowledgeable College Football Writers, Steele is on the voting committees for numerous awards, including the Heisman Trophy.

In addition to his website, you can find Steele on Twitter at:
https://twitter.com/philsteele042

Baltimore Sports and Life thanks Mr. Steele for answering a few questions.

Baltimore Sports and Life: “In Randy Edsall’s first year as Head Coach of the University of Maryland, Edsall inherited a program which was 9-4 the year prior, including 5-3 in the ACC. The Terps were coming off a Military Bowl victory, had been ranked in the Top 25 by both the Coaches, and AP; and were returning the ACC’s Rookie of the Year at QB. The mantra coming out of College Park was that the program wanted to go ‘from good to great.’ In Year 2 of the Edsall era, the Terps are coming off a 2-10 season, including 1-7 in the ACC. The 24 players who have left the program, have left Maryland thin. In numerous interviews, Coach Edsall has talked about the need to tear down, to build up. Will Edsall get to see his vision through, if MD does not go ‘from abysmal to competitive’ in 2012?”

Steele: “I think the expectations last year were a little unrealistic to begin with. The Terps were picked as high as 2nd in the division in some of the preseason magazines but I had them 5th. MD had benefited from +15 in TO’s in ’10, had 3 net close wins and their off ypp of 10.9 was 2nd best in the FBS in ’10. I thought they would probably have a losing season but even I did not expect the bottom to fall out at 2-10. With that being said, this year all the key indicators are pointing up and I think they at least double last year’s 2 win total which should give Edsall another year.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “Mike Locksley has made an immediate impact with the program as a recruiter. As the Offensive Coordinator, Locksley describes his offense as the combination of a 1 back passing attack, a spread run game, and his pro style background. Overall Locksley says his offense is multiple and adaptable. What are your thoughts on Locksley’s addition?”

Steele: “First off, no question the Locksley addition should prove dividends in recruiting especially with his past experience recruiting the D.C. area so very well. His offense really struggled at New Mexico but he had some success at Illinois when he got the chance to acquire the talent it takes to run his offense. I think his offense would prefer a more mobile QB that can also throw the ball accurately and also a downhill back that can burst thru line with great power and speed. If Edsall gets to year 3-4 you will really start to see Locksley’s offense take off.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “The new Defensive Coordinator is Brian Stewart who spent the last two years at Houston as the Cougars Coordinator. Prior to that, Stewart was the DC for the Cowboys in the NFL. Stewart is transitioning the Terps into a 3-4 defense. Do you feel Maryland has upgraded with the addition of Stewart?”

Steele: “After giving up an incredible 34.3 ppg and 220 rush ypg (4.7) last year, I don’t think there is any way to go but up for the MD defense. I think the 3-4 probably suits their personnel a little better and I expect major improvement from that side of the ball this year.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “One benefactor of the 3-4 defense will be AJ Francis (’09 Freshman All-American), who will start at NT, after a bit of a lost year in 2011. Next to him at one DE will be 2x All-ACC Joe Vellano, and on the other end will be a rotation of Keith Bowers, Andre Monroe, Justin Anderson, and Isaiah Ross. There have been reports that the Terps are quickly adapting to the 3-4, and feeling good about their D-line depth. Do you see the D-line as a potential strength for MD?”

Steele: “Absolutely. They have 6 back with starting experience and Vellano clearly is an All-American candidate. I think they have one of the most improved rush D’s in the country.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “Kenny Tate was a monster at S (1st team All ACC) as a Junior, before being moved to LB last year. Prior to being lost for the year due to injury, his impact had been negligible. Provided with a Medical Hardship, he is back for 2012 and will be remaining at LB. Would you have moved Tate back to S?”

Steele: “At 6-4 220 now, he really doesn’t have prototypical S size so I would keep him at LB where he will be playing that position at the next level. With that being said he is playing that STAR LB position which is kind of a tweener position and should have a much bigger impact this year provided he is 100% healthy.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “Until Tate shows his health, the listed starters at LB are Alex Twine (SAM), Cole Farrand (Mike), Demetrius Hartsfield (MO), and Darin Drakeford (Will). Twine showed plenty of positives as a Freshman. Drakeford has impressed when he can stay on the field. Hartsfield was an Honorable Mention All-ACC. Behind Farrand is LA Goree who was an Honorable Freshman All-American by College Football News. Thoughts on this group?”

Steele: “Last year it was hit hard by injuries naturally with Tate being lost after 4 gms, Drakeford missed 4, Hartsfield missed 3. The injuries gave some of their young LB’s some experience as they actually started 3 Frosh at LB vs Clem. I think provided Tate is healthy it is one of the more improved LB corps in the country with great mix of talent and experience.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “Dexter McDougle will be one of the starters at CB. The other starter will be AJ Hendy, Jermiah Johnson, or Isaac Goins. Matt Robinson, and Eric Franklin appear to be the starters at Safety. Avery Graham provides further Secondary depth. Can this group be adequate, if the Front 7 gets pressure?”

Steele: “It is not an overwhelming group but they do return 4 who have starting experience and like you said, if the front 7 is indeed one of the more improved fronts in the entire country like I project, then I think the secondary could be improved this year.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “With O’Brien now at Wisconsin, there is no question that CJ Brown is the starting QB. He started 5 games last year, and showed an ability to create with his legs. He also looked uncomfortable and inaccurate in the pocket. How do you see him fitting into the offense Locksley wants to run?”

Steele: “He is a great fit for Locksley’s offense as he set the MD QB record for rush yards with limited action. He needs to improve his accuracy after completing just 49% but remember while OC at Illinois Locksley’s QB at the time Juice Williams completed just 40% of his passes his first year as a starter in ’06 then would complete 57% of his passes his 2nd year in the Illini’s Rose Bowl season.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “The Offensive-line had a tough Spring (with injuries not helping). Left-to-Right, the starters could be Nick Klemm, Pete Gilbert, Bennett Fulper, Josh Cary, and Justin Gilbert. With Mike Madaras, De’Onte Arnett, Sal Conaboy, and Jake Wheeler as the primary reserves. Any hope for this group? If there are limitations here, what do you think would help them more – A) Utilizing 2 TE’s, and a FB, providing extra blocking, or B) Spreading out the Offense, and pulling the Defense from the box?”

Steele: “I think there is some hope being in the 2nd year of Edsall’s system (also having a mobile QB doesn’t hurt) but naturally with Dill and Garcia transferring it is a relatively inexperienced unit. I like the talent at TE and would probably prefer utilizing more 2 TE sets to help out in the blocking.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “I thought one of the bright spots of last year, was Furstenburg’s production at TE. I’m a big believer in Campbell’s athletic ability, but he has never received a lot of time. Thoughts on these two?”

Steele: “I’m a big believer in Furstenburg as I placed him as my 1st-Tm All-ACC TE in my magazine. Campbell was one of the top rated TE’s coming out of H.S. and if he can finally produce on the field, I would say it is one of the finer 1-2 punches at TE in the country and that is why I think they should utilize more 2 TE sets this year.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “The Terps also got production out of their WR’s Kevin Dorsey (45 catches, 573 yards), and Kerry Boykins (37 catches, 430 yards). Marcus Leak also opened eyes as a True Freshman. Nigel King, and Devin Burns also have their supporters. However, when Summer Training Camp opens, all eyes will be on Freshman Stefon Diggs. Would it surprise you if Diggs is not starting from Day 1?”

Steele: “I would be shocked if Diggs is not starting from Day 1 and I placed him as my projected starter in my magazine.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “The running game loses Meggett, but brings back Justus Pickett who had 274 yards as a Freshman. Pickett will be pushed by True Freshman Wes Brown, and Albert Reid. I imagine they all receive carries this year, with maybe Brown emerging to receive the majority. Despite the youth (and uncertainty that brings), I feel pretty good about this group. Do you share that optimism?”

Steele: “This is one position a long with OL that have me worried about the Terps this year. I agree that I like the VHT true frosh in Brown and Reid but again they are just true frosh. QB Brown may have to carry a bigger load in the ground gm this year if they expect to match LY’s numbers which had them avg 169 rush ypg (4.8).”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “After opening with William & Mary September 1st, the Terps will play Temple (who crushed MD at College Park last year) in Philadelphia, Connecticut (Edsall’s former program) at home, and head to Morgantown to face West Virginia (who has owned Maryland in recent seasons). Brief thoughts on the O.O.C. schedule?”

Steele: “I think it sets up well for some success. William & Mary and Temple figure to be down this year (especially Temple) and I think they can get by Connecticut at home. I think if Edsall wants to carry some momentum that they have generated this off-season in recruiting a 3-0 start could be in the offing but West Virginia will be a double digit loss this year after the close gm from a year ago.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “Heading into 2011, FSU was the universal choice to win the ACC Atlantic, and expected by some to compete Nationally. They did not meet those expectations, and Clemson would win the Division, and the Conference as a whole. Heading into 2012, those two Universities again appear to be the favorites. NCST was 8-5, and won their bowl game. Wake Forest was 5-3 in league play, and Boston College was 4-8. How do you see the Atlantic Division finishing?”

Steele: “The Atlantic is arguably as strong as it has ever been. I picked Florida St to win the National Title this year so the Seminoles should live up to those high expectations a year later. Clemson is a dangerous team that could again have a double digit win season while NC State will again be in a bowl gm and it could be O’Briens best team yet in Raleigh. Boston College is one of the most experienced teams in the ACC and after last year’s 4-8 season snapped their 12-year consecutive bowl streak, they should be back in the postseason this year. MD is much improved and could flirt with a winning record while Wake Forest with only 11 returning starters figures to miss out on a bowl this year.”
  • You Play to Win the Game, BSLMikeLowe and Greg Pappas like this

#2 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

Always interesting interviews. Thank you for this. The guy knows his stuff, and I agree with most of his analogies. I see the Terps at 4 Wins as well.

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

4 wins sounds about right....W & M, Temple, UConn and one ACC game, probably Wake Forest.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

4 wins sounds about right....W & M, Temple, UConn and one ACC game, probably Wake Forest.

I certainly won't be shocked if they win 7 or 8. I would not be shocked by 4 either. I expect 5 or 6.

Winnable games to me: W&M, @Temple, UConn, Wake Forest, @UVA, NCST, @BC, Georgia Tech, @UNC

In camp, I want to hear how the O-line, RB's, and Secondary looks.

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

I certainly won't be shocked if they win 7 or 8. I would not be shocked by 4 either. I expect 5 or 6.

Winnable games to me: W&M, @Temple, UConn, Wake Forest, @UVA, NCST, @BC, Georgia Tech, @UNC

In camp, I want to hear how the O-line, RB's, and Secondary looks.

BC is the one other game I see as possibly winnable, but the Terps often lose the battle in the trenches against them, and with a shaky OL that could be the case again this season. To win any of the other games you mentioned would be a big upset, IMO.

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

An interesting note to my post above. The four games I see MD having the best odds of winning are among the first 5 on the schedule. They could be 4-1 in early October, and not win another game all season. And while 4-8 would be a tangible improvement from last year, the negative momentum of finishing the season 0-7 probably won't make it seem that way....and would make the heat on Edsall, at least from the media and fans, even hotter.

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

An interesting note to my post above. The four games I see MD having the best odds of winning are among the first 5 on the schedule. They could be 4-1 in early October, and not win another game all season. And while 4-8 would be a tangible improvement from last year, the negative momentum of finishing the season 0-7 probably won't make it seem that way....and would make the heat on Edsall, at least from the media and fans, even hotter.

I'd hope if they started off that strong, they would be better positioned to avoid a total collapse. If your scenario happened, can't imagine Edsall surviving that.

#8 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

If they open up 4-1, I would expect they would have at least a chance against UVA, NCSU, BC, GT, and UNC. They'd clearly be doing something right at that point and would probably have a fair bit of confidence. I doubt they'd win all of those games, but I could see them taking 2 or 3 of them.

Thanks for the interview Chris. Good stuff.

#9 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

Great work, Chris, even if Phil Steele is a handicapping competitor of mine. ;)
@beginthebegin71

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=