#261 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,534 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:20 AM

Then there's the record against ranked teams on the road. A few worrisome trends mounting up for Turgeon.

#262 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:48 AM

...and a Final 4 for every graduating class.

Sweet Sixteens annually I can see demanding. But the only school I can think of that is actually doing something like this is Michigan State (so not Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc. Maybe Kentucky, although there you have to define "graduating class" :P). That seems a step too far.

@DJ_McCann

#263 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,646 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:35 AM

I am not concerned about trends because different teams develop different streaks, both good and bad.

I am not trashing Turgeon, because I think you have to take the good with the bad for every coach.  I think Turgeon is making positive progress every year, but I think like his buddy Crying Roy Williams, he is a coach who coaches his system and struggles when that system is not working.

Not to start a Gary vs. Turgeon debate again, but Gary was a master at adjusting game to game and was terrific with in game adjustments.  Turgeon, maintains his system no matter what challenges a particular team may present.   I think if you are a smart opposing coach, like Bill Self, Tom Izzo etc. Maryland is very easy to prepare for.

The good with Turgeon is his tireless recruiting efforts.  He is getting quality 4 and 5 star players, which is what Gary was not doing.

Anyway, I can't wait to see next years team, but I feel like the Terps never ran an offense this year, and that is my frustrating with Turgeon.

This years team screamed for a high-low post offense.  Carter and Stone never really blended and Maryland was never able to really establish the low block.  The offense basically was a series of one on one moves.

Good year, again no need to apologize for 27-9 and a Sweet 16, especially considering where the program came from.

Hopefully some of the guys come back and maybe Maryland gets a little more athletic, but for now it is on to baseball and the NFL draft.

@mikeghg

#264 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:43 AM

I don't think that Turgeon's in-game coaching is so bad that it outweighs the good he does recruiting.  I do think he struggles to make adjustments, but my bigger complain about the coaching this season was the inability to get the team to buy in and play together, and that happens between games, not in-game.  I'm not a fan of the slow-it-down style he prefers, but it can work if the team plays it well.  I'm content with Turgeon as the coach and I'm optimistic, though not convinced, that he can help us get to the consistent heights I think should be attainable for the program. 

I think anyone saying we should fire him is completely delusional.  Saying you want another coach is a fine and justifiable option in the abstract, but actually thinking the right move for the University would be to fire him and hire somebody else is completely detached from reality.

#265 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 25 March 2016 - 02:56 PM

I don't want another coach necessarily, I just want a different offensive approach.  Turgeon's is shite.

@fuzydunlop

#266 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,534 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:07 PM

The offensive problems are rampant in college basketball. Maybe a handful of teams have a consistent, fluid offense. But it's not just the results (the prominence of prolonged stretches of not scoring), but the process that's just awful. Way too inconsistent in terms of feeding the ball into Carter or Stone... way too much standing around... no set plays that I can tell. Like the timing cuts that Kansas was running all game with Ellis last night... we don't see any kind of creativity or set plays.

I'm not giving up on Turgeon. It's been awesome to get wholly consumed by MD basketball again like the past couple years, and I think he can maintain this level of competitiveness, with an occasional down year. I just hope he evolves as a coach.

I will say, in terms of getting guys to play together and in sync, like a lot of Gary's better teams did, it's harder to accomplish that given the hyped recruits and transfer's he's been bringing in here. But he's gotta find a way to do better in that regard as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=