#281 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:42 PM

That's the game I immediately thought of.  Seminoles dancing on the announcers table.  People wanted Gary fired. 

Hopefully MD uses this game to wake up.  Have to get off to better starts.

I keep thinking of that game, too. I think that's when Williams brought in Billick to talk to the team, and they didn't lose again (including beating #2 Duke in Cameron) until the ACC tournament.

Also, just something I noticed looking things up tonight, but that was the Terps' last loss at Cole.

@DJ_McCann

#282 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:47 PM

I think this is the moment where we actually find out how good of a Coach Turgeon is. The team isn't playing together, the players are making a lot of mistakes, and he hasn't been able to stop the bleeding (and sometimes seems to be actively making things worse). If they continue to play in a funk, can't win out, and go out early in both tournaments, it'll be time to legitimately question if he's the man to see things through.

@DJ_McCann

#283 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:08 AM

What a gut punch.

Terps lose to the worst team in the conference. They played uninspired basketball most of the evening and looked out of sorts and out of sync. Rasheed Sulaimon played the game of his life almost willing his team to take a late lead. This led to several times where he forced shots unnecessarily and pressed but at the very least it was out of effort which seemed to be in short supply with the turtles.

It's late February and now is the time the team should be coming together, not falling apart at the seams. The key here is Trimble who has to be injured. At least in a way I hope so since it would explain not only his poor shooting over the last month but some poor decision making as well. As he goes so go the Terps.

They must turn around quickly and prepare for a team that already beat them this season in Michigan.

I've preached patience, as I usually do when it comes to sports but this is a key moment for Turgeon's coaching career in College Park. If his team goes out with a fizzle in March he'll deserve to find employment elsewhere.

#284 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:20 AM

http://espn.go.com/b...t-long-in-march

#285 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:25 AM

Look, if Trimble is going to shoot 20% (or less) for the rest of the season we might as well pack it in now. Teams are playing off of him and attacking his dribble to steal the ball. It makes it really easy to take away the first look of the offense when the guy that's paced them can't get it going. 

If anyone predicted Trimble collapse like this, good for you, but until he gets better this team will not get better. They need him to shoot well to get things going, particularly when Stone isn't on the floor and they run the offense inside out through him. 

Turgeon needs to start coaching an offense, like yesterday...because Trimble isn't just loading this team onto his back in close games anymore and shooting their way to wins right now.

What I don't get is that I feel like Maryland always gets good looks out of timeouts. They do a good job with their sets and getting clean looks based on my memory of it all. Why this isn't being done on every possession remains beyond me...

#286 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:25 AM

They're just not very good. Disappointing.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#287 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:32 AM

What I don't get is that I feel like Maryland always gets good looks out of timeouts. They do a good job with their sets and getting clean looks based on my memory of it all. Why this isn't being done on every possession remains beyond me...

It's because the problem isn't the offensive system.  It's getting the players to buy into the offense fully and run it every time we get into the half court set rather than just playing one-on-one.

Turgeon's coaching is rightfully being questioned, but it's a problem of organization and people management, not a problem of basketball knowledge or quality of the offense he's running.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#288 Tranquil1

Tranquil1
  • Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationFrankford, Delaware

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:50 AM

I have watched this team several times now. They are not getting better. That says one thing, coaching. A lack thereof. I am now of the opinion that Mark Turgeon is a mediocre coach. I don't expect them to win more than one game in either the Big Ten tournament or the NCAA. One more thing, Trimble better reconsider going pro after this year. He is far from ready. Thanks for entertaining my rant. I am frustrated with my team....:).

#289 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,526 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:52 AM

Trimble has to be hurt.

#290 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:58 AM

Trimble has to be hurt.

He just has to be. A healthy shooting Melo and even this team looking like it has the last few games and we don't lose them.

Let's hope the team galvanizes and gets smarter, Trimble gets healthy and we take the next step. Though our outlook on that front doesn't look great. 

#291 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,526 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:19 AM

Not having Stone hurt last night too. Hopefully that resonates with him.

#292 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:22 AM

It shouldn't have mattered.  We may win if he's there and we are able to score more consistently, but it doesn't remotely excuse the loss or lessen the awfulness of it.  Should have cruised easily even without him.  Or without any two of the 5 starters.  Minnesota is incredibly bad.

Not saying you were excusing it, though.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#293 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:29 AM

I am starting to wonder if MD gets out of the first round. Especially if they play a big team or a bunch of fast guys who can shoot 3's. Always tons of those teams in the tourney.

What a week. Lose at home to Wisky and struggle to score and then lose on the road to a team that hasn't won since there was still plenty of time to get Christmas shopping done and should have been beaten with 5 Varun Rams.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#294 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,526 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:33 AM

It shouldn't have mattered.  We may win if he's there and we are able to score more consistently, but it doesn't remotely excuse the loss or lessen the awfulness of it.  Should have cruised easily even without him.  Or without any two of the 5 starters.  Minnesota is incredibly bad.

Not saying you were excusing it, though.

Yeah I agree with you. Just horrible. What a miserable week.

#295 Michael Keltics

Michael Keltics
  • Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSilver Spring, MD

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:54 AM

There is no leader on the team.

Melo is a talented player, but not a leader.  Rasheed is trying to be the leader, but he's too selfish of a player to lead the team.  It even appears that the head coach isn't a leader.

Leaders are the people who drive the team to results on off days... they don't let slumps last for weeks, months - this team has a leadership problem. That's why they look like losers out there.

• Tranquil1 likes this

#296 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:30 AM

I am starting to wonder if MD gets out of the first round. Especially if they play a big team or a bunch of fast guys who can shoot 3's. Always tons of those teams in the tourney.

What a week. Lose at home to Wisky and struggle to score and then lose on the road to a team that hasn't won since there was still plenty of time to get Christmas shopping done and should have been beaten with 5 Varun Rams.

Last night's loss was pretty akin to a 2 going down to a 15.  It happens, but it's a huge embarrassment when it does.

Terps have shown that despite how talented and skilled they are and how good they can play, they've also got clunkers in them.  Won't be able to ignore any games in the tournament, even the first round against what should be a very low seed (assuming we get back on track and don't continue limping to the finish).

#297 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:56 PM

Fuck I'm still angry. We better beat Michigan Sunday. My boss went there and he trolled me after the first game.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=