#1 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

This was on Sportscenter this morning. Jaws is doing a countdown if his top 30 QBs. He has Flacco ahead of guys like Stafford, Vick and Romo, to name a few.

He said Joe has the strongest arm in the NFL. Can make every NFL throw fom any point on the field.

Said the only reason he isn't higher is not enough consistency.

#2 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

Seems like a fair enough ranking to me. Personally I could care less about the QB rankings and what the media thinks about Flacco. I know what we have in Joe, at this point my only concern is signing him to an extension. When is that going to get done?

#3 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

This was on Sportscenter this morning. Jaws is doing a countdown if his top 30 QBs. He has Flacco ahead of guys like Stafford, Vick and Romo, to name a few.

He said Joe has the strongest arm in the NFL. Can make every NFL throw fom any point on the field.

Said the only reason he isn't higher is not enough consistency.

Ahead of Stafford?! Seriously?

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

What has Stafford won?

I think he ranked Stafford 15th. He has to do it again.

#5 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,603 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

Stafford puts up good fantasy QB numbers but throws a lot of picks and really, has had one good season.

Flacco has been to the AFCCG twice and really, he should have been in the SB last year.

I think it's a fair ranking. I also think he is going to get better...or play at the same level that he played in the AFCCG last year. He should be entering his prime.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#6 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

Stafford is the definition of fantasy QB,at least at this point.Ill take Joe every day over a guy putting up inflated numbers playing over half his games in a dome and throwing jump balls to the best WR in the league.

Overall 9th is about right.I think he is in the same teir as a few Jaws has ranked ahead of him but its personal choice. For example,I'll take Joe and his ability to play and throw in all conditions over Matt Ryan's average arm and struggles outside a dome but if someone else wants Ryan I'm not going to argue.
  • DuffMan likes this

#7 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

Stafford is the definition of fantasy QB,at least at this point.Ill take Joe every day over a guy putting up inflated numbers playing over half his games in a dome and throwing jump balls to the best WR in the league.

Precisely. Put Stafford in Joe's situation and he wouldn't look nearly as good.

#8 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

As long as Joe ended up in a reasonable place I didn't think I'd be too upset with this ranking. Jaworski is usually pretty good.

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

I caught the tail end of the segment. I am assuming that both Mannings, Brady, Ben R, Rogers, Brees. and I guess Rivers and Vick. If it is Vick, then I think Joe should be 8. Anyway pretty fair.
@mikeghg

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

I caught the tail end of the segment. I am assuming that both Mannings, Brady, Ben R, Rogers, Brees. and I guess Rivers and Vick. If it is Vick, then I think Joe should be 8. Anyway pretty fair.

Vick was like 14th.

Cutler is the one you are missing.

#11 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:14 PM

Vick was like 14th.

I wouldn't say we've been missing him, Rob.

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

Vick was like 14th.

Thanks...then I am sure Joe should have been 8th. Not a big fan of Cutler.
@mikeghg

#13 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

Didnt realize Ryan was already listed. Really I just have issue with Cutler so high. I would have him 3 to 4 spots lower.IMO, an overrated QB. Will force way too many passes and turn the ball over. Also, is a little to soft.

#14 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

Didnt realize Ryan was already listed. Really I just have issue with Cutler so high. I would have him 3 to 4 spots lower.IMO, an overrated QB. Will force way too many passes and turn the ball over. Also, is a little to soft.

I felt the same way. jaws has always liked Cutler. Frankly, I do not think he has done much especially in tough situations.
@mikeghg

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

I felt the same way. jaws has always liked Cutler. Frankly, I do not think he has done much especially in tough situations.

I think that they are similar in a lot of ways, with Flacco being a bit less aggressive but with a stronger arm. Then again, I do think Cutler is a quality NFL quarterback who has been stuck on some iffy teams, especially in terms of receivers (a lot like Flacco), and without the Ravens' running attack most years.

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

I think that they are similar in a lot of ways, with Flacco being a bit less aggressive but with a stronger arm. Then again, I do think Cutler is a quality NFL quarterback who has been stuck on some iffy teams, especially in terms of receivers (a lot like Flacco), and without the Ravens' running attack most years.

Maybe it is just my view but I think Joe is tougher and more competitive.
@mikeghg

#17 Don Olsen

Don Olsen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

It is not always the greatest complement to say "strongest arm in the NFL"....if Joe has the strongest arm, what is holding him back from being in the top tier of elite quarterbacks.

His deep ball accuracy is a place where he can still improve, but the wishy-washy stats to this point can be pointed to a lack of true deep threat, and consistent target with familiarity. It will be crucial to improve his touch with Smith and hopefully the pair can improve this facet of his game. For a tree trunk of a human being, he rarely attacks the middle of the field. If and when he does, he is a mixed bag of mechanics that potentially sails the ball. His field vision needs to take that next step.

He is already a winner and showed the NFL that he can carry a team on his shoulders to pass for a win on the big stage. He has to improve other areas of his game to reach the Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady level.

You hope that progression of Torrey Smith, Dennis Pitta, Ed Dickson could improve some of his weaknesses. It will be interesting to see if the Ravens can finally find a slot WR to pose matching problems with nickle and dime coverages, Jones has to be an upgrade over Evans for this team to continue to dominate the AFC and help Joe grow as a player.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@Olsen_Don

#18 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

Stafford was actually in the process of writing a strongly worded email to Jaws...and injured himself.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#19 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

What I'm seeing national media start to realise is how standard and vanilla Cameron and his schemes and playcalling are and how it hampers Joe at times.....Thats been pretty clear to a lot of us here for awhile. No doubt in my mind Joe could be better with a system built around him but in that sense he is a victim of his own success. He wins in Camerons vanilla system and it stops the Ravens from making a change

It cant be said enough how often q QBs improve once they get out of Camerons system

#20 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

What I'm seeing national media start to realise is how standard and vanilla Cameron and his schemes and playcalling are and how it hampers Joe at times.....Thats been pretty clear to a lot of us here for awhile. No doubt in my mind Joe could be better with a system built around him but in that sense he is a victim of his own success. He wins in Camerons vanilla system and it stops the Ravens from making a change

It cant be said enough how often q QBs improve once they get out of Camerons system

I think everyone saw him win the AFC Championship game last season with that pass Evans dropped, so it is pretty hard to keep following the "can't handle pressure" and "relies on his running game" storylines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=