• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

The 2012 season for University of Maryland Football begins two Months from today vs. William & Mary. To help prepare us for the season, Baltimore Sports and Life has reached out to Terps Radio Analyst Tim Strachan for his thoughts.

You can find Strachan on Twitter at:
https://twitter.com/#!/T13Strachan

You can learn more about Strachan at:
http://www.umterps.c...affiliates.html

Baltimore Sports and Life thanks Mr. Strachan for providing his thoughts.

Baltimore Sports and Life: “In Randy Edsall’s first year as Head Coach of the University of Maryland, Edsall inherited a program which was 9-4 the year prior, including 5-3 in the ACC. The Terps were coming off a Military Bowl victory, been ranked in the Top 25 by both the Coaches, and AP; and were returning the ACC’s Rookie of the Year at QB. The mantra coming out of College Park was that the program wanted to go ‘from good to great.’ In Year 2 of the Edsall era, the Terps are coming off a 2-10 season, including 1-7 in the ACC. The 24 players who have left the program, have left Maryland thin. In numerous interviews, Coach Edsall has talked about the need to tear down, to build up. Will Edsall get to see his vision through, if MD does not go ‘from abysmal to competitive’ in 2012?”

Strachan: “Randy is here to stay for a while. For some reason people tend to forget that the record before they went 9-4, under Fridge, was 2-10, also. As for that 9-4 season, one can make a very good argument that it was a favorable schedule, as well. The program really leveled off after Fridge’s first 3 years and wasn’t close to getting back to that form. So it wasn’t like this program was soaring, much less ascending even. It takes time to build a football program – unlike a basketball program that only needs 2-3 players to make all the difference in one year. Randy is doing everything right behind the scenes to build ‘his’ program and these aren’t the types of things that grab headlines. Unfortunately, those things are not resulting in wins on the field, just yet. My hope is the people that are making those decisions have the patience to see where things stand in Randy’s 3rd or 4th years and not succumb to the pressure of the overzealous media and the unrealistic fans that were calling for him to be fired merely 11 months into the job. That was absurd. If Randy puts together a few recruiting classes like the first one he had it is my belief the wins will start to show. Unfortunately, that will take time … Rome wasn’t built in 11 months. I hope Randy gets a fair chance to prove he can get the job done and believe he will get that chance past 2012.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “Mike Locksley has made an immediate impact with the program as a recruiter. As the Offensive Coordinator, Locksley describes his offense as the combination of a 1 back passing attack, a spread run game, and his pro style background. Overall Locksley says his offense is multiple and adaptable. What are your thoughts on Locksley’s addition?”

Strachan: “First of all, I had the pleasure of working with Mike during his first stint with the Terps and I am elated that he is back on both a professional and personal level. There is no doubt that he can recruit and that alone is going to be a huge asset he brings to the table. I’ve also had a few opportunities to talk with Mike about his offense and even see a little film with him and get a better understanding of his ‘philosophy’ for a lack of a better word. The best part of what I have seen from Mike as an Offensive Coordinator is that his offense is going to adapt to the talent that he has. He will never try to fit a square peg into a round hole. His offense will play to the strengths of the players that are running it. I think the best example to show that is his time at Illinois when the same offense produced huge numbers in the running game and passing game during his stint there depending on the talent he had (i.e. Mendenhall, Juice Williams and Arrelious Benn to name a few.) I think bringing Mike back as both a recruiter and an OC will pay big dividends for the MD program.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “The new Defensive Coordinator is Brian Stewart who spent the last two years at Houston as the Cougars Coordinator. Prior to that, Stewart was the DC for the Cowboys in the NFL. Stewart is transitioning the Terps into a 3-4 defense. Do you feel Maryland has upgraded with the addition of Stewart?”

Strachan: “With no disrespect to anyone, I believe that Randy has made a huge upgrade by bringing Brian in. His command of the defense and knowledge of the game were apparent from the minute he stepped on campus. When spring drills started players and other coaches alike were talking candidly about how seamlessly Brian was implementing the 3-4 defense and making it know from the beginning that it will be an attacking defense. In the 17 years I have been involved with the Maryland program and doing the radio the best years have been those when the defense was an attacking style of defense (remember the days of Blackney and recently with Don Brown.) Defense is going to be MD’s strength this year and I believe people will be surprised at how well they do. My only concern is depth, as that was a big concern last year, but don’t hang that on Brian.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “One benefactor of the 3-4 defense will be AJ Francis (’09 Freshman All-American), who will start at NT, after a bit of a lost year in 2011. Next to him at one DE will be 2x All-ACC Joe Vellano, and on the other end will be a rotation of Keith Bowers, Andre Monroe, Justin Anderson, and Isaiah Ross. There have been reports that the Terps are quickly adapting to the 3-4, and feeling good about their D-line depth. Do you see the D-line as a potential strength for MD?”

Strachan: “This is a great question and the short answer is yes. First of all, Joe Vellano is an exceptional football player and I am very excited to see what he will be able to do from the DE position. Secondly, I had mentioned my main concern for the defense is depth, but by moving to the 3-4 the depth of the D-line has automatically improved. A.J. is primed for a breakout season. He has always had the ability to be dominant and has showed it at times, but needs to be more consistent. If he can get a bit of a mean streak in him and apply that with his ability on a more consistent basis he could have that breakout year. Don’t forget Kilgo who will push A.J. for the starting job, but nonetheless be able to provide depth to the Nose. All the other guys you mention will provide more depth to the D-line and by platooning these guys you can have fresh legs all game long, which helps when you have an attacking style defense and guys able to give 100% on every down. You forgot to mention Quinton Jefferson who I believe will play a role that will only get more prominent with experience. He had a very good spring, though his skills are raw and he needs refining on technique, etc.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “Kenny Tate was a monster at S (1st team All ACC) as a Junior, before being moved to LB last year. Prior to being lost for the year due to injury, his impact had been negligible. Provided with a Medical Hardship, he is back for 2012 and will be remaining at LB. Would you have moved Tate back to S?”

Strachan: “No. Not that I wouldn’t be tempted to do so because it is hard to argue what he did when he was at safety. However, I had this conversation with his high school DC at DeMatha, Dino Campbell, who says he has been telling Kenny since he was at DeMatha that he would play LB in college. Kenny is a special kind of player that has so many talents and physical abilities that no matter where he plays he will have an impact – as long as he is healthy. He has put on more weight (that is muscle not fat) and that will make a big difference from last year. Plus, he did not put on too much weight where he will still be able to cover the slot, TE and RB. And one of the main reasons he was moved to LB in the first place is because when he had so much success as a safety he was up in “the box” a majority of the time anyway – he even lined up at Nose Tackle on occasion. So even when he was playing safety he wasn’t a true safety. With Eric Franklin and Matt Robinson back deep it allows for putting the best 11 on the field they can with Tate in a LB position. He just needs to get healthy and play at 100% so that he can quiet the critics and doubters out there.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “Until Tate shows his health, the listed starters at LB are Alex Twine (SAM), Cole Farrand (Mike), Demetrius Hartsfield (MO), and Darin Drakeford (Will). Twine showed plenty of positives as a Freshman. Drakeford has impressed when he can stay on the field. Hartsfield was an Honorable Mention All-ACC. Behind Farrand is LA Goree who was an Honorable Freshman All-American by College Football News. Thoughts on this group?”

Strachan: “The Linebacker group is the heart and soul of this defense, in my opinion. I thought the entire group had a very good spring. Hartsfield has never looked better and he is another guy that if he can match more mean-ness to his ability he could be a dominant player. Twine is another young man I am very high on and believe he can be a very good player with a little more experience as he has shown signs from time to time that he can make eye catching plays. Drakeford is better than people think, but he needs to stay healthy for people to realize that. The rest of the group is solid, but on a whole they need to get bigger and stronger to make a big leap from last year. As an undersized unit they were just worn down – along with the entire defense mind you – by the fourth quarter where most teams pulled away by pounding the running game last year. Adding some beef, a little more depth and with the addition of Kenny Tate this group has the potential to be the strongest of the entire team.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “Dexter McDougle will be one of the starters at CB. The other starter will be AJ Hendy, Jermiah Johnson, or Isaac Goins. Matt Robinson, and Eric Franklin appear to be the starters at Safety. Avery Graham provides further Secondary depth. Can this group be adequate, if the Front 7 gets pressure?”

Strachan: “If you are going to have an attacking style defense then the philosophy is always going to be that more pressure ought to produce better results. The problem with applying more pressure is that you put a lot more onus on the defensive backs, especially if it forces more one-on-one coverage. Can these particular guys handle that? I believe they can. There will be some big plays made on MD, but that is what you get when you take risks. With risk, also comes great reward, so I think we will see more big plays from the secondary this year. Robinson and Franklin are solid safeties and the talent is there at corner on both sides to get the job done. I’ve already said it, I’ll keep saying it – MD has been most successful when they attack and I believe the strength of this team is on the defense at this point.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “With O’Brien now at Wisconsin, there is no question that CJ Brown is the starting QB. He started 5 games last year, and showed an ability to create with his legs. He also looked uncomfortable and inaccurate in the pocket. How do you see him fitting into the offense Locksley wants to run?”

Strachan: “Again, Mike runs an offense that caters to the strength of the players that run it. So to answer your question I think C.J. is going to fit in quite well. They are going to utilize his ability to run as best they can because it is what he does best, no question. However, you cannot over-run him because you do have a bit of a drop off when it comes to depth and experience that is behind him, so keeping him healthy is key. That said C.J. needs to improve in his passing game. Right now he is what I call a ‘thrower, not a passer’, which means he can no doubt throw a football very well; but there is a big difference between a thrower and a passer. As a passer you need to learn how to put touch on the ball, put air under it for deep balls, squeeze it between defenders on time, be more accurate and seeing the defense. With plenty of protection and wide-open receivers even I could be good QB (maybe that is a stretch.) C.J. is a very good QB with all the talents and then some (running ability) that there is no reason he cannot be successful. He just needs to get more experience and fine-tune his ability as a passer to take that step forward as a complete QB. Mike Locksley has been working hard on his mechanics and footwork to help with all those things. I believe you are going to see a much more improved C.J. Brown in 2012, but it will be a progression we see as the season goes on. My feeling is he will be the most improved player on this team when it is all said and done.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “The Offensive-line had a tough Spring (with injuries not helping). Left-to-Right, the starters could be Nick Klemm, Pete Gilbert, Bennett Fulper, Josh Cary, and Justin Gilbert. With Mike Madaras, De’Onte Arnett, Sal Conaboy, and Jake Wheeler as the primary reserves. Any hope for this group? If there are limitations here, what do you think would help them more - A) Utilizing 2 TE’s, and a FB, providing extra blocking, or B) Spreading out the Offense, and pulling the Defense from the box?”

Strachan: “I have ultimate faith in O-Line Coach Tom Brattan. He has always been able to get the most out of what he has to work with. That said I believe this offense goes as the O-line goes. They did have a tough spring due to injuries, but the good part of that is more kids got experience and added reps. I hate to be too critical of kids, especially in college, but I have to say that this unit is the biggest question mark for the upcoming season. I may sound like a broken record, but when Locksley says his offense caters to the strength of the players running it, he and the coaches will find the schemes necessary to put the offense in the best position for success. Both concepts of adding TEs and using FBs as added protection and spreading the formation to spread the defense are legitimate approaches. I think they will have to use both philosophies depending on the situation they are facing game-in and game-out. No one size fits all here. Game planning and down-and-distance will be factors that coaches need to make those determinations, but I’m confident Locksley, Brattan and the other coaches will have them prepared. At the end of the day these young men have to be able to execute and do it on a consistent basis if they want to be successful this year.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “I thought one of the bright spots of last year, was Furstenburg’s production at TE. I’m a big believer in Campbell’s athletic ability, but he has never received a lot of time. Thoughts on these two?”

Strachan: “I love the TE position, period. I think it is the most versatile position on offense and when you have an exceptional one it makes it so much easier to use the TE. Furstenburg is one of those special kind of players. He has great hands, good route running and a grasp of the game. His blocking is very good, to boot. The more they can figure out how to use him the better off this offense is. That said Campbell did seem to have a connection with C.J. last year, so do not count him out. Campbell is predominantly a receiving TE and has shown flashes of good ability, but he needs to be more consistent. The TE unit as a whole is solid. Any TE unit, when used correctly, can be a difference maker for any team. I think this unit can do that, especially Furstenburg.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “The Terps also got production out of their WR’s Kevin Dorsey (45 catches, 573 yards), and Kerry Boykins (37 catches, 430 yards). Marcus Leak opened eyes as a True Freshman. Nigel King, and Devin Burns also have their supporters. However, when Summer Training Camp opens, all eyes will be on Freshman Stefon Diggs. Would it surprise you if Diggs is not starting from Day 1?”

Strachan: “It would not surprise me if Diggs is not the starter against William & Mary. That does not mean I don’t think Diggs is a special player because he is. However, it is a huge difference being the man in high school and automatically being the man at the division I level. Under WR Coach Lee Hull, I have been very impressed with the receiving units. This year is no different. I think Dorsey is a very good player that has the size and ability to make big plays, as he has shown he can do. He too just needs to be more consistent. Boykins and Leak are the only others with considerable experience that will be that much better next year as a result. Boykins is solid and usually very dependable. Leak needs to secure the ball better, but once he starts to have some success I think that will breed more success for him. That said many people are excited to see what Nigel King can bring to the table and Devin Burns has done a very good job getting acclimated to the WR position. However, I have my eyes on Levern Jacobs, who was probably the one guy that stood out to me in the spring game as someone that can make this team better. As for Diggs, this kid has all that it takes to be a star at the next level and I believe he will contribute right away. It doesn’t matter if he is starting the first game, but I think we all have every reason to believe that by the end of the season he is going to be a large part of this offense and team as he gains experience and has more opportunities to showcase his talents.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “The running game loses Meggett, but brings back Justus Pickett who had 274 yards as a Freshman. Pickett will be pushed by True Freshman Wes Brown, and Albert Reid. I imagine they all receive carries this year, with maybe Brown emerging to receive the majority. Despite the youth (and uncertainty that brings), I feel pretty good about this group. Do you share that optimism?”

Strachan: “Maryland will miss Davin Meggett because he was such a solid RB, not just running the ball but also blocking and all the intangibles that make a RB very good (think back to his freshman year when he made veteran plays down the stretch of games because he understood the game so well.) Justus Pickett is likely the #1 RB going into camp, as he should be given he has the most experience. I’m still waiting to see him break one with the speed he has. I’m a big believer that once a player like him does it once he gets a feel for making those plays over and again. It just hasn’t happened for him yet and I hope he can find that this coming year. However, one other guy that had a big spring and showed a lot of promise is Brandon Ross. He has a good mix of speed and power and made a lot of plays this spring, even though he didn’t have a huge spring game. One area where the Terps made probably the biggest addition in the off season was getting Wes Brown and Albert Reid. I have seen Brown play plenty in high school to know he can be very good at the next level and it would not surprise me if by the end of the year he is a major contributor (much like Diggs.) I don’t know as much about Reid, but from what I have heard he will also make this RB unit an exciting one to see grow and potentially be a strength of this team not just this year, but for years to come.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “After opening with William & Mary September 1st, the Terps will play Temple (who crushed MD at College Park last year) in Philadelphia, Connecticut (Edsall’s former program) at home, and head to Morgantown to face West Virginia (who has owned Maryland in recent seasons). Brief thoughts on the O.O.C. schedule?”

Strachan: “Parity is starting to catch up in college football, but I do not think William & Mary will beat the Terps. Ok I said it and will have to live with it. It will be a game that Maryland fans will see as a barometer for what is to come that season. After that it will be a tough out of conference schedule. My guess is Temple is not as good as they were last year, but it is in Philly which is always tough for any team early in the season regardless of the opponent – is it bad I am already thinking about my Pat’s cheese-steak? Wiz-with anyone? UCONN scares me only because of the connection to Randy and emotion that will be more on their side to try and prove Randy made a mistake, but a home game for Maryland with (hopefully) a packed crowed behind them is in the Terps favor. Morgantown is consistently the toughest place for the Terps to play any year they play them. It is an interesting out of conference schecule, but certainly a manageable one for this year’s Terps.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “Heading into 2011, FSU was the universal choice to win the ACC Atlantic, and expected by some to compete Nationally. They did not meet those expectations, and Clemson won the Division, and the Conference as a whole. Heading into 2012, those two Universities again appear to be the favorites. NCST was 8-5, and won their bowl game. Wake Forest was 5-3 in league play, and Boston College was 4-8. How do you see the Atlantic Division finishing?”

Strachan: “All I know for a fact is that it will be finished in November. Other than that you tee it up and let it play out to see what happens. Clemson and FSU have every right to be expected to stay at the top of the division based on the prior year, but after that I believe it is pretty even across the board. A football season is very long and anything can happen. Outside of the William & Mary prediction I am going to steer away from prognosticating the rank of the division for now (plus I’m still in summer mode and November seems light years away).”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “Do you see FSU and Clemson leaving the ACC for the Big 12? If so, can you picture the SEC pursuing VaTech and NCST, and a combination out of Maryland / UNC / Duke / Virginia, becoming in-play for the Big Ten? If you do not see any departures from the current league structure, do you believe the ACC should be putting on the full-court press for Notre Dame, and UConn?”

Strachan: “This is a discussion that can go on for ever. Who knows what is going to happen and it seems as though the landscape changes like the wind in a windstorm when it comes to realignment in college football. I am only guessing when I say I think FSU and Clemson are staying put. I really do not think the Big 12 is the right place for ether team. The SEC makes more sense in my opinion for both of them, but I don’t think that is happening either. That said the rest of the scenarios are probably moot given I don’t see much happening and the ACC stays in place … for now. I did think that it was a very good possibility MD was headed to the BigTen a couple years ago, but I feel less and less like that will happen now. Also, there is so much discussion about how the BCS is going to change – whether they do the “plus 1” format, a playoff format, etc. – that it is premature to say what will happen anywhere. Part of me says the ACC needs to keep up with the ‘Joneses’ to stay relevant or else lose members, but expansion has not necessarily been the best thing for the ACC, especially in football and even in basketball. I could come up with probably 30 different scenarios as to what could happen, but instead I’m gonna sit back and relax as I enjoy the rest of my summer without wasting my time on how money and politics are going to further ruin college football … I just can’t wait till it is time to strap ‘em up and go at it again on the gridiron.

Until then, I hope everyone enjoys their summer and I look forward to seeing you (or I should also say you hearing Johnny Holiday, Jonathan Claiborne and me) at the Maryland games in the fall. As the season approaches I hope you join me on Twitter at @T13Strachan to talk even more Terps football. Thanks!”
  • You Play to Win the Game, Greg Pappas and mdak06 like this

#2 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

A very informative interview Chris. I love how I learn a lot in the way you pose the question... it's an excellent tactic.

#3 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

Good interview Chris.

Obviously with Strachan you're going to get a very pro-Maryland, positive viewpoint. But I thought this line was maybe the most interesting of all....

With no disrespect to anyone, I believe that Randy has made a huge upgrade by bringing Brian in

I think Bradford was in way, way over his head last year and it showed. They were sort of rushed into that hire and it turned out to be a bad one. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this team responds with a more competent coach running the defense.

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

Good interview Chris.

Obviously with Strachan you're going to get a very pro-Maryland, positive viewpoint. But I thought this line was maybe the most interesting of all....

I think Bradford was in way, way over his head last year and it showed. They were sort of rushed into that hire and it turned out to be a bad one. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this team responds with a more competent coach running the defense.

Hold on, I thought we were told that it was all the players' fault? :lol:

Not directed at you (I recall we did not see eye-to-eye on Edsall back in the Foxhole) but I just couldn't help but point out the irony.

#5 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

I never said anything was all the players' fault. I did say that I felt like the players were completely getting a free pass last year and that they deserved more of the blame than they were receiving. Particularly regarding the disciplinary actions. Every time a player got suspended it was "there's that jerk Edsall again overreacting to things". And then it would leak out what the player did, and folks would (very begrudingly) mutter "uh, yeah, guess he deserved it".

I also criticized the coordinators for most of last year. I felt like both were bad hires - not at the time because I just didn't know enough about them, but as the season progressed.

I think it will be an interesting season, to say the least. :)

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

I never said anything was all the players' fault. I did say that I felt like the players were completely getting a free pass last year and that they deserved more of the blame than they were receiving. Particularly regarding the disciplinary actions. Every time a player got suspended it was "there's that jerk Edsall again overreacting to things". And then it would leak out what the player did, and folks would (very begrudingly) mutter "uh, yeah, guess he deserved it".

I also criticized the coordinators for most of last year. I felt like both were bad hires - not at the time because I just didn't know enough about them, but as the season progressed.

I think it will be an interesting season, to say the least. :)

Oh I know you didn't say that. That's why I said that wasn't directed at you.....but rather someone else, who I seriously doubt reads message boards anyway. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=