#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:07 PM

http://baltimorespor...etball-preview/

Georgetown: Michael Bohlin, Hoyas247 & Gene Wang, Washington Post

Baltimore Sports and Life: Leading scorer D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera returns. Let’s talk about the surrounding talent. Sophomores Isaac Copeland (6’9, Forward), and L.J. Peak (6’5, G/F) were both on the Big East All-Rookie team. What are you looking for from that duo this year? Where can they improve? Which of the other Sophomores (Paul White or Tre Campbell) is more likely to make a leap in their second year?

Bohlin: I fully expect for both Copeland and Peak to take on more of a leadership role on the Hoyas this season as, outside of the aforementioned Smith-Rivera, Georgetown will be forced to depend on their talented group of youngsters more so than they were this past year. We were fortunate enough to have the chance to speak with both Copeland and Peak prior to the team’s trip to Italy this past August and, to no surprise, both players seemed much more comfortable and confident heading into their sophomore season.

In terms of their running mates in the sophomore class, both White and Campbell will be depended on heavily this year. With the lack of depth on the perimeter, Campbell will have to be the one that takes his game to the next level, something I’m confident he can do, as he’ll be counted on to run the show for long stretches of time whether he’s sharing the floor with Smith-Rivera or not. Fortunately for Tre, he’s already proven himself capable of being dependable on the defensive end which should help his cause every time he takes the floor.

Wang: Defense always is a priority for Coach John Thompson III, so that’s the one area where Isaac Copeland and L.J. Peak could stand to improve. Peak did get a chance to work on his jumper too as part of the U19 national team at the FIBA world championships. Tre Campbell stands to make a bigger leap this season than Paul White, but White continues to have the more polished all-around game.

Baltimore Sports and Life: Coach Thompson brings in another quality recruiting class, which includes Jessie Govan (6’10, 270 lbs, Center), and Marcus Derrickson (6’7, Forward). Who is Georgetown counting on more to immediately produce?

Bohlin: I promise this isn’t an attempt to duck the question but I fully expect for all three freshmen to see meaningful minutes for this team early and often as Govan and Derrickson, as well as the lesser heralded Kaleb Johnson, have impressed since arriving on campus this past summer. Of the bunch, Govan seems to be the most likely to challenge for a spot in the starting lineup right out of the gate but there is no question that each of the freshmen that the Hoyas coaching staff brought in will be asked to contribute to the team’s success this coming season.

Wang: Jessie Govan probably will start from Day One, but Marcus Derrickson looked extremely impressive during the Hoyas’ summer trip to Italy, showing not just a nose for the ball but also three-point range.

Baltimore Sports and Life: Maryland will host Georgetown this year in the Gavitt Tipoff Games, and face Georgetown on the Hoyas home floor next year. Among fans from both fanbases, I see people who are either ambivalent about the match-ups, or people who are extremely enthusiastic. In-terms of the Georgetown program, how important do you think it is for them to go into College Park and make a statement? i.e. Do you perceive the Hoyas program is tired of hearing about the Terrapins resurgence, and expectations?

Bohlin: You want to win each and every time you take the floor and it will be no different when the Blue and Gray make the trip up 295 to play in College Park next month. This will be a great opportunity for Georgetown to make a statement against a team that is perceived to be one of the best in the country heading into this season and I fully expect for the Hoyas to put their best foot forward.

I don’t think that Georgetown is concerned with all of the positive press that their neighbors in College Park have received during the off-season. In my opinion, the pressure is squarely on the shoulders of Mark Turgeon and the Terrapins as, at least in terms of the recently released Coaches Poll, the Hoyas will enter this game unranked despite the fact that they were picked as the second best team in the Big East heading into the season. It has been a long time since Maryland has been thought of this highly entering the year and if they underestimate what Georgetown is capable of in any way then they could be in for a rude awakening on their home floor.

Wang: JT3 and Mark Turgeon have great respect for each other, or else the Georgetown-Maryland game wouldn’t have gotten off the ground in the first place. Players on both sides certainly have a healthy competitive rivalry, but there isn’t the sense of complete distaste for one another.

Georgetown Roster:
http://www.guhoyas.c...baskbl-mtt.html

Georgetown Selected to Finish Second in BIG EAST Preseason Poll:
Smith-Rivera Named All-BIG EAST Preseason; Copeland named Honorable Mention
http://www.guhoyas.c.../101415aaa.html

#2 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:08 PM

Just kick the living tar out of the Hoe-yeahs.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:42 AM

Besides a win, what are you looking to see Tuesday against better competition?

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:35 PM

Only looking for a win. No other criteria for this game.

#5 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:08 PM

So Georgetown just lost to Radford.
@BSLZackKiesel

#6 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:25 PM

Radford Upsets Georgetown In Double Overtime With Deep Three-Pointer

Yeah, they're going to be pissed on Tuesday.

That'll just make the tears even more delicious.

@DJ_McCann

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:50 AM

Disappointed that Georgetown lost yesterday. 

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:57 AM

Casual Hoya: Positive Post-Game Prognosis: Radford

http://www.casualhoy...ognosis-radford

#9 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:57 PM

giVchrt.jpg

The last two MD teams to play Georgetown
  • Mackus, BSLZackKiesel, DJ MC and 2 others like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#10 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:59 PM

Wow, has it really been that long?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:01 PM

giVchrt.jpg

The last two MD teams to play Georgetown

That's awesome, but you're forgetting a big one...

Also played in the dance during the first final 4 year.

#12 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:01 PM

These were the last two teams to play them in CP. not sure when else we played except for the 2001 tourney obviously.

@bopper33

#13 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:02 PM

Oh Christ you got me by a second lol. Last two times in CP.

@bopper33

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:04 PM

Where'd you find that photo?  I have to send that to everybody I know.

#15 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:07 PM

Where'd you find that photo? I have to send that to everybody I know.

MD bball posted it on Facebook.
  • Mackus likes this

@bopper33

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:09 PM

I recognize Elmore and assume the big white guy is McMillen.  Who are the other two?  Is one of them Lucas?

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:15 PM

Also played in a preseason tournament, where Georgetown crushed MD.

EDIT: 2008... 75-48 Old Spice Classic in Orlando.

#18 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:24 PM

Also played in the dance during the first final 4 year.

The day I forever became a Terps fan. Joe Smith was such a beast. Still the best player I've ever seen at MD. One of the best I've seen ever.

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:30 PM

The day I forever became a Terps fan. Joe Smith was such a beast. Still the best player I've ever seen at MD. One of the best I've seen ever.

Same for me. I had got interested in the Terps the year prior with Rhodes, Hipp, Simpkins, and Lucas..... and had also spent that year following the exploits of Booth's Dunbar team (with Lloyd, and Bright).... but it was that Fall when I first hearing about Smith (and telling Rob about him) that really pulled me in.  That game was the catalyst.

#20 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:40 PM

It's a great photo, got a peek of it a week ago. Apparently Turgeon hates 3-piece suites.

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=