14 replies to this topic

#1 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:12 PM

I went looking at ballgloves... I've got a cheap-but-surprisingly-good Rawlings OF glove from about 10 years ago... but I let my brother borrow it, and he keeps "forgetting" to give it back... I figure that's OK... so I went looking for another one...  

I've got big hands, so I pretty much need a large OF glove...

Anyway, I looked at the Rawlings site... and nearly all the ballgloves are ugly (to me, anyway)   I don't wanna black one, and I sure don't want a multi-colored one... all I want is a nice tan/brown ballglove with the glove and the lacing being more-or-less the right color tan/brown, just like God intended them to be...  but they don't seem to make them anymore...  https://www.rawlings...ting=Popularity

If you were getting a ballglove these days and had big hands, and if you wanted it to be the right color tan/brown, what would you do?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#2 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:18 PM

I went looking at ballgloves... I've got a cheap-but-surprisingly-good Rawlings OF glove from about 10 years ago... but I let my brother borrow it, and he keeps "forgetting" to give it back... I figure that's OK... so I went looking for another one...  

I've got big hands, so I pretty much need a large OF glove...

Anyway, I looked at the Rawlings site... and nearly all the ballgloves are ugly (to me, anyway)   I don't wanna black one, and I sure don't want a multi-colored one... all I want is a nice tan/brown ballglove with the glove and the lacing being more-or-less the right color tan/brown, just like God intended them to be...  but they don't seem to make them anymore...  https://www.rawlings...ting=Popularity

If you were getting a ballglove these days and had big hands, and if you wanted it to be the right color tan/brown, what would you do?

Ebay. Probably find older gloves for sale there, and already broken in to boot.

@BSLMikeRandall

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,359 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:48 AM

I always preferred Wilson gloves, no real reason why just felt better on my hand I guess.  Been thinking about getting a new glove for softball.  I still use a A1000 baseball infielder's glove that's 11.5", it used to be fine for infield in baseball, but a bigger glove would definitely be better for slow pitch softball, especially now that I mostly play outfield.  Thinking 12.5" or even 13".

If I were you I'd go to a Dick's or someplace similar and try on a bunch, see what size and model you like.  Then go buy it on Amazon.

#4 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 October 2015 - 11:28 AM

There are some other newer/smaller companies like Vinci, Akadema and Nokona that you could check out. Nokona gloves are made in the USA if you're into that sort of thing.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,359 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:41 PM

Everybody wanted a Nokona back when I was playing little league.  I found a used Nokona first-baseman's mitt at Play-it-Again Sports when I was like 12 or so and bought it even though I didn't play 1B.

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:15 PM

I'm shocked that Mack hasn't just made his own softball glove... and offered to make Shack a new glove while he's at it.

#7 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:28 PM

http://www.amazon.co...=rawlings glove

This one is basically an updated version of the one I used to use. There's a new gamer series that has a nice 1b/OF hybrid glove that I would probably get if I still played, but for whatever reason I always liked the way an OF glove played for me at 1B, had a little more feel than a usual 1B glove. Just wore a glove underneath for extra padding.

It's not the best looking glove, mine was solid brown, but I'd be much more worried about function than design.

@JeremyMStrain

#8 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:16 PM

So, did everybody-but-me know that plain ole brown ballgloves are an endangered species?

Why are they an endangered species?  Does everybody now want multi-colored ones?  When did this happen?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#9 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 04:03 AM

So, did everybody-but-me know that plain ole brown ballgloves are an endangered species?

Why are they an endangered species?  Does everybody now want multi-colored ones?  When did this happen?

After looking around, my theory is that the reason it's hard to find brown/tan ballgloves these days is that they're using cheap leather...  I don't think it's because people don't want them... once you get up to top-tier $300+ gloves, many of them are brown/tan...  but the cheaper you go, they first go to black or very dark brown, then they go multi-colored...

I think they're mainly hiding flaws in cheap leather... now, I realize there's nothing about the leather that's the traditional color of ballgloves.. it's all dipped in something first which turns it blue, then it's dyed whatever color we get... but I'm thinking that brown/tan just tends to disguise flaws less... once you get into expensive gloves, they're using good leather and thus don't have to worry using color to hide anything...

But that's just a theory... it could be wrong... but I don't know why else only the very-$$$ good gloves are the right color...

#10 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:00 AM

Ebay. Probably find older gloves for sale there, and already broken in to boot.

Excellent advice...  so, thanks!

I got the following....

1.  A 13" one of these:  http://www.ebay.com/...gkAAOxyDEVSaoY1

Different model number (PRO-701BF) but it's the same series of glove and it looks identical in every respect except that one is a 10.5" and the one I got is a 13"... it's here and it seems only semi broken in... it looks completely new except for some skin-oil stain where your index finger rests on the outside of the glove and where the heel of your palm rests just barely inside...plus, the black ink in the center of the pocket is faded.   All it needs is some glove-oil and some more breaking in.  Got it for $69 (vs. $250)

2.  Got this Wilson A2500 mitt for $20...

mitt-1.jpg

mitt2.jpg

mitt3.jpg

No signs of skin-oil ,or of very much wear except the lacing that's supposed to hold the webbing tight against the shell needs to be tightened, plus there's a funky piece of lacing on the thumb side of the webbing..., plus, the black ink inside is faded.  The guy wrote his name on it... if it's just ink, it'll come out, if it's Sharpie it won't. It needs some glove-oil, plus tweaking the lacing... but, hell, it was just $20 vs. the original $200+.  (I think I got it cheap because the headline of the listing made it sound like a lefty mitt...)

3.  A 34/32 Louisville Slugger M159... not consumer-grade but Prime-grade Ash...  old enough to not be cupped, but it seems brand new except for a rough spot around the outside edge of the knob and a small nick in the bottom of the barrel... $10 (vs $100)

Finding this stuff is great fun, but I need to just stop...

• Mike in STL likes this

#11 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:01 PM

I'm kinda surprised to discover that nobody-but-me seems surprised that traditional-color ballgloves appear to be a dying breed... 

So, lemme ask you this:   Do you love how ballgloves smell... especially with neatsfoot oil?   Or does that not happen anymore either?

#12 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:07 PM

I've never met someone more obsessed with baseball gloves.

So there's that.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#13 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:15 PM

I've never met someone more obsessed with baseball gloves.

So there's that.

Huh?  

How long have you known me?   And how many times have I brought up baseball gloves?

I just assumed that everybody slept with theirs   ;-)

#14 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:07 PM

I've never met someone more obsessed with baseball gloves. So there's that.
  Huh?     How long have you known me?   And how many times have I brought up baseball gloves?   I just assumed that everybody slept with theirs   ;-)
Just because his mom has the skin of an old glove doesn't mean EVERYONE sleeps with one.

@fuzydunlop

#15 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:28 PM

I looked for ballgloves for the grandkids... and, boy, new ballgloves for small hands really suck... truly bad... theyre even trying to pass off plastic fake leather, which will never-ever-ever adapt to fit your hand right... but even the leather ones are pathetic....

So I got a couple old Rawlings gloves off of ebay... old models... Dale Murphy, Griffey Jr, Tony Gwynn... some look like they were used for about an hour.. but the main thing is that the leather is way, way better than the new ones... it's not even close... total of 3 for a total of $37 delivered...

They were a little stiff and dry, but rubbing some lanolin on them fixed that *instantly* (overnight at the slowest)... I'm gonna put some neatsfoot on them next, just to get the color less bland, but that's not the point... the point is that used ballgloves are absolute bargains if you're willing to browse for a little bit instead of just grabbing the first thing you see...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=