#381 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:29 PM

Do I need to play the heel here and criticize Flacco so Nickle can go back to defending him? ;)

#382 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:30 PM

I'm dead serious. If we have a top 5 pick and Oz deems a QB the BPA he should not hesitate to draft him and sit him behind Flacco for a few years before moving on. I have no issue with moving on from a 33 yr old Flacco.

I was thinking about this too. But if you extend Flacco, you likley cant move on from him for another five years without serious cap ramifications.

You cant let him play for a $28M+, then $31M+ cap number before letting him go for your QB in waiting. So they are going to extend him.

And you cant cut him or trade him anytime soon without major cap ramifications.

Flacco is the QB until atleast age 35 whether we like it or not.
@BSLMikeRandall

#383 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:37 PM

I was thinking about this too. But if you extend Flacco, you likley cant move on from him for another five years without serious cap ramifications. You cant let him play for a $28M+, then $31M+ cap number before letting him go for your QB in waiting. So they are going to extend him.And you cant cut him or trade him anytime soon without major cap ramifications. Flacco is the QB until atleast age 35 whether we like it or not.

First of all, I don't think there is a QB you do this for.

Secondly, you could easily trade him if you did want to do this.

Denver(Manning to retire?), NYJ, Buffalo, Cle, Houston, KC(maybe?), Philly(who knows what's happening there), DC, Chicago and StL would all probably go after him.

#384 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:47 PM

Do I need to play the heel here and criticize Flacco so Nickle can go back to defending him? ;)

That would likely succeed.

#385 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:49 PM

That would likely succeed.

What if I used the same criticisms that you've been using? ;)

#386 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:50 PM

First of all, I don't think there is a QB you do this for.

Secondly, you could easily trade him if you did want to do this.

Denver(Manning to retire?), NYJ, Buffalo, Cle, Houston, KC(maybe?), Philly(who knows what's happening there), DC, Chicago and StL would all probably go after him.

We would still hit with dead cap figures of $25M roughly in 2016 or $15M roughly in 2017.

Or if it was post June 1 in 2016 its about $10.5M hit one year and $15M the next.

They wont trade him.
  • Mackus likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#387 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:52 PM

Plus the only way you get to that dead cap figure in the manageable $4M range in 2018 where you could trade him is to not extend him, and pay him giant cap numbers the next two years which they wont do either.
@BSLMikeRandall

#388 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:52 PM

We would still hit with dead cap figures of $25M roughly in 2016 or $15M roughly in 2017.Or if it was post June 1 in 2016 its about $10.5M hit one year and $15M the next.They wont trade him.

I'm sure something contractually could be worked out with the new team.

That being said, none of this happening. If there was an Andrew Luck at the top of the draft, maybe there would be a chance.

But they can win with this team if they get healthier and some play makers. No need to change things right now.

#389 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,682 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:07 AM

I would complain about the lack of urgency yesterday, but this team has always had a lack of urgency, going back to the days of Billick. I don't know why that is, but there definitely have been some carry-over effects from those days to today.

Sometimes it feels like the only thing that has really changed since the Billick days was that we now have a stable QB situation and our defense is much worse. A lot of the other issues that have existed for over a decade are still present.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#390 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,083 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:11 AM

I'm sure something contractually could be worked out with the new team.

There is nothing you can work out to get out of the back-loaded bonus hits against the cap.  If you trade Joe after this year, you have to take a cap hit of $25.85M in dead money (remaining bonus for '16-18).  That money is counting against the cap no matter what happens with Joe over the next few years, whether he's cut, traded, extended/reworked, retired, or just left to play out his current deal.  No way to get out of it.

#391 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:24 PM

Didn't read through this whole thread but I would image we are all angry about the wasted TOs in the second half?

I told my entire section about how bad Harbaugh is at challenges.  They didn't believe me.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#392 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,083 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:51 PM

The challenge was worse than the early TO, though I do agree with those that say most of the time keeping a timeout in your pocket is more important than 5 yards.

#393 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:06 PM

Who tells Harbaugh when to challenge and why does that person still have a job?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=