Photo

BSL: Who Should Be Maryland’s Next Head Coach?

• Please log in to reply
500 replies to this topic

#81 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:17 AM

Bruce Feldman / Fox Sports mentions Pep Hamilton:
http://maryland.247s...Search-40277369

That's a shame about his first name...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#82 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:14 AM

The problem with Hamilton is that he comes from a purely pro-style background. He wouldn't run the exciting, spread offense that the Terps want.

@BSLZackKiesel

#83 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:54 AM

Bruce Feldman / Fox Sports mentions Pep Hamilton:
http://maryland.247s...Search-40277369

Sounds like an NFL guy. And I don't mean that as something MD should avoid, but rather I would think he's just waiting for an NFL HC opportunity and would prefer to do that by remaining in the league and not going to college.

#84 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:06 AM

From the comments I've read from Loh and Anderson about what they want in their next head coach and what they didn't like about Edsall, I fully expect the next head man to embody these or similar characteristics:

• He'll Run an Exciting, Spread Offense - This is number one on their list. The next head coach will have to bring with him an exciting, spread offense similar to the ones being run by the big-name schools across the country (Oregon, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Auburn, Ole Miss, etc.). It won't be an Air Raid-style attack, but will instead be a quick spread-to-run attack like the schools mentioned all run. I don't think they'll care whether or not he calls his own plays or designates duties to a coordinator (of those schools I mentioned, all but Ohio State have their head coaches call plays).
  • He'll Be a Semi-Large Name - Whether he's a former coordinator or a former head coach, people will know who he is, or at least know the program he comes from. For example, some fans may not know the name Scott Frost, but they know who Oregon is and that alone brings excitement. Even a guy like Justin Fuente, who many people have high on their lists, probably won't end up here. Similar to Frost, many people may not know the names Tom Herman or Chad Morris, but they know Ohio State and Clemson (where they were both coordinators before this year), and those offenses bring excitement as well.
  • He'll Be Young - There's probably not a minimum age to their list (if there is, it's probably 30), but there's probably a maximum age. It'd shock me if they hired anyone over 47 (unless it's Chip Kelly). A young coach brings excitement, an old coach doesn't (unless, like I said, he's a huge name). They'll err on the side of guys like Mike Norvell (33), Scott Frost (40), and Tom Herman (40).
  • He'll Have Power 5 Experience - Many Power 5 schools have hired the previous year's MAC Coach of the Year to be their head man. Ask Michigan (Brady Hoke), Miami (Al Golden), and Purdue (Darrell Hazell) how that worked out for them. Sorry, Dino Babers. I don't think they'll put a ton of weight on Big Ten experience, but it certainly helps that Herman has a big connection there. However, a guy from the SEC or Pac-12 would bring some previously unexplored recruiting grounds to Maryland.
  • He'll Put a Big Emphasis on Academics - This is tough to prove via a track record, even for former head coaches, but Maryland's next head coach will need to stress the importance of academics to Loh and Anderson. Edsall built an unprecedented foundation for academics here, and they won't see the next head coach ruin that.

In your view, which candidates fit, based off this list?

#85 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:12 AM

In your view, which candidates fit, based off this list?

Scott Frost, Mike Norvell, Tom Herman, and Chad Morris are the 4 big ones. Also Chip Kelly, Lincoln Riley, and possibly Justin Fuente (though I'm not as high on him as others seem to be).

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#86 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:20 AM

Montgomery should be being mentioned more.

I'm apprehensive that MD is going to overshoot, and settle.

Part of me really wants to limit to top assistants and young HC's.

#87 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:16 AM

I was listening to Keith Cavanaugh on the radio (105.7 FM) either yesterday or the day before, and he surprised me by seeming to back Locksley to be hired permanently if he got the team to 6 wins and a bowl game this year. He seemed to believe Locksley could do a good job if given the HC job beyond this season, helping to secure a good recruiting class and even improving upon it. Did anyone else hear the interview? If so, what was your take on it?

#88 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:23 AM

My take on it is that Keith Cavanaugh is probably getting up there a bit and may need to see a neurologist.

#89 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:31 AM

I was listening to Keith Cavanaugh on the radio (105.7 FM) either yesterday or the day before, and he surprised me by seeming to back Locksley to be hired permanently if he got the team to 6 wins and a bowl game this year. He seemed to believe Locksley could do a good job if given the HC job beyond this season, helping to secure a good recruiting class and even improving upon it. Did anyone else hear the interview? If so, what was your take on it?

My take: http://espn.go.com/c...ired-new-mexico

@DJ_McCann

#90 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:45 AM

Well that's a relief! No need to worry about Locksley being the permanent HC.

• You Play to Win the Game, Greg Pappas, DJ MC and 1 other like this

#91 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 11:35 AM

I don't see another win for the Terps this year.

#92 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:44 PM

Well that's a relief! No need to worry about Locksley being the permanent HC.

LOL! I hear ya!

#93 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:53 PM

Maybe a better question is, who do you expect to be the HC?

So beyond who you want... who do you think is most likely?

#94 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:00 PM

So beyond who you want... who do you think is most likely?

It's hard to say at this juncture, but it's a good question.

This is Zack's list of suspected qualifiers:

• He'll Run an Exciting, Spread Offense
  • He'll Be a Semi-Large Name
  • He'll Be Young
  • He'll Have Power 5 Experience
  • He'll Put a Big Emphasis on Academics

Scott Frost, Mike Norvell, Tom Herman, and Chad Morris are the 4 big ones. Also Chip Kelly, Lincoln Riley, and possibly Justin Fuente (though I'm not as high on him as others seem to be).

The above is Zack's response to whom he feels checks those qualifiers.

Will Anderson overlook guys like Campbell, Babers, Montgomery, and Fuente', based off of that? It's hard to say.
Chip Kelly probably stays in Philly and isn't likely regardless.
Herman, in my view, is a Texas guy and will likely seek a bigger job than MD (Texas?)

Other candidates may come to light as we near the end of the season... it's a tough "race" to figure out. My head is spinning. :P

#95 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:47 PM

The Memphis coach is looking more and more impressive.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#96 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:59 AM

Baltimore Sun: Terps seek 'social' coach, reflecting new era

http://www.baltimore...1016-story.html

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#97 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:41 PM

Baltimore Sun: Terps seek 'social' coach, reflecting new era

http://www.baltimore...1016-story.html

Which of candidates most often mentioned here, fall short based off of this? Or, conversely, which of the candidates might this bode well for?

#98 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:48 PM

So the candidate with the best Twitter account wins? Oh goodie!

That's said, gonna be tough to beat Edsall's Wiz Khalifa quotes.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#99 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:07 AM

TT: The Case For Justin Fuente...

I like this guy a lot.

• 1970 likes this

#100 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 740 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:13 AM

TT: The Case For Justin Fuente...

I like this guy a lot.

Not nearly as well versed as I need to be to comment on this, but this is the guy I want. The guy I really, really wanted when they hired was Malzahn. Fuente is the guy I want this time. I ready somewhere yesterday that he is high on South Carolina's list. Which is truly the better job?
  • Greg Pappas likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=