#61 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

There is a basic threshold: Division I-A versus Division I-AA.

You're talking about a very rare case where a team would play 18 games. Only two teams would even play seventeen under a sixteen-team playoff, so your comparison to a controversial NFL topic doesn't work.

I know only two teams would be playing 17 games, it's still 3 more than they currently play, that's a big jump going from 14 to 17. But we all know that greed trumps player safety at both the college/pro level, and that seems to be fine with you.
@levineps

#62 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

I know only two teams would be playing 17 games, it's still 3 more than they currently play, that's a big jump going from 14 to 17. But we all know that greed trumps player safety at both the college/pro level, and that seems to be fine with you.

First of all, it's starting at one additional game, and will rise from there, which I'm fine with. So it won't be a big jump.

Second, it is becoming more and more obvious that just the simple act of playing football, with all of the practicing that goes along with it, is extremely dangerous, so whether they play one game or 18 the chances of injury don't change.

Third, I would suggest exercising caution when declaring that someone is that callous without evidence.

#63 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

Second, it is becoming more and more obvious that just the simple act of playing football, with all of the practicing that goes along with it, is extremely dangerous, so whether they play one game or 18 the chances of injury don't change.

That's a great argument for expanding the NFL season! The owners should hire you! Just two more games, it's already dangerous, so chances of injury don't change much!

It's college not pro, although cfb is most similar to the pro game compared to many other college sports like basketball. 60 minute game/12 game regular season. Compared to college basketball with a 40 minute game/less than half the NBA regular season.
@levineps

#64 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

CBS Sports: Dallas gaining momentum as 2015 national title site

http://www.cbssports...onal-title-site

Miami (Orange Bowl), Atlanta (Chick-Fil-A), New Orleans (Sugar), Houston (Meineke Car Care) and possibly Orlando (Capital One) are in the mix.

@levineps

#65 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

ESPN: Cotton gets 2015 finale, sources say

http://espn.go.com/c...me-sources-said

During the 12-year contract, the Rose and Sugar will host the semifinals four times. In the years they aren't hosting, the national semifinals would be moved from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, sources said.

@levineps

#66 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Some new tidbits from that article

• The selection committee will try to stage the semifinals with geographic considerations in mind. However, No. 1 and No. 2 seeds will not be put at a "home-crowd disadvantage" in the semifinals. For example, No. 4 LSU won't play a semifinal in the Superdome against No. 1 Ohio State.

• Neither conference affiliation nor a possible rematch will have any effect on the semifinal pairings. If it works out that Texas and Oklahoma meet in the semifinals, so be it.

@levineps

#67 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Some new tidbits from that article

Both of those sound good to me.

#68 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

Nate Silver made a very good point about college football and playoffs in a Reddit AMA today. He said that because the college season is so short (even in comparison to the NFL) and several of those games tend to be against significantly inferior opposition, teams need to play multiple games against the best teams in order to accurately judge whether they are deserving.

#69 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

Nate Silver made a very good point about college football and playoffs in a Reddit AMA today. He said that because the college season is so short (even in comparison to the NFL) and several of those games tend to be against significantly inferior opposition, teams need to play multiple games against the best teams in order to accurately judge whether they are deserving.

Yeah that be nice and maybe this new formula will make that happen. With the conference title games though, Bama or Florida (or any other SEC team that matter) doesn't exactly have to beef up it's schedule assuming they can go into that game with one-loss. College football is such a small sample size, even though one loss isn't as lethal as before, there's still very little margin for error and I like that.

They didn't make any rule where you had to win your conference title to get in this game or a 2nd team could only be selected if the conference champion made it? I think that would be good.

They could put 16 teams in and people would complain so I'm not too worried about #5 not making. Just win and it won't be a problem. I doubt will have a situation now like Auburn or Cincy, where an undefeated BCS school doesn't make the tournament. It's possible to have four undefeated BCS teams but highly unlikely.
@levineps

#70 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

ESPN: Committee to have 14-20 members

http://espn.go.com/c...t-14-20-members
@levineps

#71 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

ESPN: Midwest venues will consider title game bid

http://espn.go.com/b...-title-game-bid

@levineps

#72 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

While it will never happen, SI's Stewart Mandel had an interesting opinion as to who would be best qualified to serve on the playoff selection committee.....Las Vegas oddsmakers. Makes sense. Their livelihoods depend upon an accurate assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of every team, they are right far more often than they are wrong, and the nature of their job suggest they'd be the least likely people to be influenced by any outside biases.

After that, his second choice for the committee members? NFL scouts.

#73 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

While it will never happen, SI's Stewart Mandel had an interesting opinion as to who would be best qualified to serve on the playoff selection committee.....Las Vegas oddsmakers. Makes sense. Their livelihoods depend upon an accurate assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of every team, they are right far more often than they are wrong, and the nature of their job suggest they'd be the least likely people to be influenced by any outside biases.

After that, his second choice for the committee members? NFL scouts.

Never say never! :wink:

The NFL scouts would want nothing to do with this. They're already held accountable for making or breaking a franchise, last thing they want is to responsible for this mess with millions on the line.

@levineps

#74 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

Never say never! :wink:

The NFL scouts would want nothing to do with this. They're already held accountable for making or breaking a franchise, last thing they want is to responsible for this mess with millions on the line.

Given that NFL scouts tend to focus on individual players rather than overall teams, I'm not sure how accurate they might be in ranking the best teams. As history has occasionally shown, teams that are loaded with NFL-caliber talent don't always see that translate to wins on the field, and vice-versa.

In any case, Vegas oddsmakers would be about as outside-the-box as you could get for a committee. But the more I think about it, the more I believe it would work effectively, if the college football honchos could somehow see past the whole gambling tie-in.

#75 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

Given that NFL scouts tend to focus on individual players rather than overall teams, I'm not sure how accurate they might be in ranking the best teams. As history has occasionally shown, teams that are loaded with NFL-caliber talent don't always see that translate to wins on the field, and vice-versa.

In any case, Vegas oddsmakers would be about as outside-the-box as you could get for a committee. But the more I think about it, the more I believe it would work effectively, if the college football honchos could somehow see past the whole gambling tie-in.

The NCAA won't even hold events in Nevada and that would be a great market. Guess they have thier "principles." :lol:

@levineps

#76 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

The NCAA won't even hold events in Nevada and that would be a great market. Guess they have thier "principles." :lol:

Yeah, although their hypocrisy notwithstanding, the NCAA isn't much of a player here.

Las Vegas is host to an annual bowl game, and it also hosted the basketball tournaments of 4 conferences this past season. So other levels of college sports don't shy away from the city in general. But letting those who directly work in the gambling industry select the participants of college football's signature events is another matter, no matter how well qualified they might seem to be for such a responsibility.

#77 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Yeah, although their hypocrisy notwithstanding, the NCAA isn't much of a player here.

Las Vegas is host to an annual bowl game, and it also hosted the basketball tournaments of 4 conferences this past season. So other levels of college sports don't shy away from the city in general. But letting those who directly work in the gambling industry select the participants of college football's signature events is another matter, no matter how well qualified they might seem to be for such a responsibility.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about events that the NCAA puts on, not events they sanction. I'm well aware there were a lot of conference tournaments there last year.

@levineps

#78 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

CBS Sports: Boise State's Petersen: 8-team playoff would be next awesome step

http://www.cbssports...ly-awesome-step

@levineps

#79 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:33 AM

Texas AD Favors 8-team playoff

http://espn.go.com/c...-8-team-playoff

The inaugural game of the College Football Playoff's four-team tournament is still more than 19 months away, but Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds says it's merely a step in the right direction.

"It's a baby step. It's a good step," Dodds said on Thursday at the Big 12's annual spring meetings. "I'm kind of an eight-team person."

1) I concur. It certainly won't put an end to all controversy, but I think 8 teams is the "sweet spot" for a football playoff.

2) I think we will get there, eventually.

3) Like Dodds says, college sports (and particularly football) moves in "baby steps", so it won't happen quite as soon as some might hope.

#80 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

Texas AD Favors 8-team playoff

http://espn.go.com/c...-8-team-playoff

1) I concur. It certainly won't put an end to all controversy, but I think 8 teams is the "sweet spot" for a football playoff.

2) I think we will get there, eventually.

3) Like Dodds says, college sports (and particularly football) moves in "baby steps", so it won't happen quite as soon as some might hope.

Sixteen is the sweet spot. Anything that doesn't include every conference champion ultimately will create many of the same problems as the BCS, and that still allows for multiple at-large teams.

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=