Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:49 PM

NY Times: ‘Serial’ Podcast to Take Up Bowe Bergdahl Case
http://artsbeat.blog...dahl-case/?_r=0

I wish they'd find a case that wasn't being presently played out in the media.

They could throw a dart at a list of Texas death row inmates and find something more interesting than this.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#3 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:50 PM

I agree. I would have liked their focus to be on lesser known cases but not surprising they take on a well known case after the success they had. The Zach Witman case, briefly mentioned in season one would have been perfect.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:29 PM

First episode of season 2 is now out.  Apparently this season focuses on the case of Bowe Berghdal.  I haven't listened yet, but wanted to give  every one a heads up.

#5 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:55 PM

First episode of season 2 is now out.  Apparently this season focuses on the case of Bowe Berghdal.  I haven't listened yet, but wanted to give  every one a heads up.

I mentioned it in the Serial thread.

The first episode is pretty damn good, especially given the fact that it was something I had previously known about.

Without giving anything away, the ending/teaser for the next episode is -hilarious-. Maybe just to me, but my wife and I laughed our asses off.

• DuffMan likes this

#6 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:27 AM

Just finished it up.  I enjoyed it as well,  will I like it as much as Season 1 remains to bee seen, but I plan on listening to the whole season. Gotta pass the hours in the office somehow!

I also liked how the intro song was kept, but the style of it was changed from season 1.   Sort of like "The Wire" having different versions of "Way Down in the Hole"

• The Epic and KWebz like this

#7 JamesGallden

JamesGallden
  • Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:50 PM

Thought it was great.  Reminds me almost of Homeland.. 

#8 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:52 PM

Yeah I checked it out today, pretty good.

Should be a good season.

Now...I need to call the Taliban.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#9 JamesGallden

JamesGallden
  • Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:25 PM

Yeah I checked it out today, pretty good.

Should be a good season.

Now...I need to call the Taliban.

That was crazy, how do you just call the Taliban?

#10 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:03 PM

That was crazy, how do you just call the Taliban?

1-800-TAL-IBAN ?

I just did it... it rings and rings, nobody answers... probably need to hang up after X-rings, then call back... but I dunno what X is...

• Russ likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#11 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:09 PM

I'm surprised Bergdahl could even get in the Army. After being kicked out of the Coast Guard for psych reasons, there's no way on earth I could have put him in the Navy when I was recruiting. The Army's enlistment standards have always been the lowest of the branches but I doubt his enlistment was on the up and up.

#12 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 05:09 PM

I'm surprised Bergdahl could even get in the Army. After being kicked out of the Coast Guard for psych reasons, there's no way on earth I could have put him in the Navy when I was recruiting. The Army's enlistment standards have always been the lowest of the branches but I doubt his enlistment was on the up and up.

Man, they had to take criminals and do a Stop-Loss during the Iraq insanity.  Why?  Because there's no draft, that's why...

Lots of people mouthed off about being oh-so-patriotic about that war early on, but almost none of them signed  up to actually sacrifice for it.  If you're gonna fight a war, you need a draft...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#13 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 05:16 PM

Man, they had to take criminals and do a Stop-Loss during the Iraq insanity.  Why?  Because there's no draft, that's why?  

Lots of people mouthed off about being oh-so-patriotic about that war early on, but almost none of them signed  up to actually sacrifice for it.  If you're gonna fight a war, you need a draft...

I was recruiting 2001-2005. The Army had higher goals than us. Three times as much for the same area. We'd be at 6-7 per month and they'd be somewhere between 15 and 20. Really, that's impossible to hit and a drop in standards can only do so much. You drop the test score by 6 points and let people in with GEDs. I knew a guy who put a woman in the Army who had 5 kids when the max was 2. I'm sure there was some hijinks going on here.

#14 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:18 PM

Well, Sarah's going to have something to talk about this week...http://www.aljazeera...4200958198.html

@DJ_McCann

#15 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:09 PM

Well, Sarah's going to have something to talk about this week...http://www.aljazeera...4200958198.html

Maybe she could get the Taliban's response to this decision.

#16 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 18 December 2015 - 12:57 AM

Episode 2 is up!

#17 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:29 AM

I listened to it yesterday.

I don't believe the Taliban at all. They're terrorists and they're going to lie about how they picked him up and how they treated them, etc. to make themselves look better...

I also don't necessarily believe Bowe's account either....especially the motivation to walk off his post.

I can imagine why his fellow soldiers said they'd shoot him if they found him...to be out there in the desert for weeks at a time, vulnerable, no coordination, clothes literally falling off your body, looking for a guy who walked off his post.

I totally understand that.

#18 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:37 AM

Bowe needs to go to prison for a long while.

#19 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:44 AM

Bowe needs to go to prison for a long while.

Well, he essentially was in prison for 5 years. That can't be ignored IMO.

I think he does deserve some jail time. Possibly another 5 years.

I may change my tune after I hear the rest of the show and how many people died while trying to find him...I wasn't too familiar with the case before hand so I don't know if anyone did, or if so, how many people died.

#20 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:50 AM

Episode 4 was pretty weak, then last week Koenig put out an updated saying that they will go from releasing an episode weekly to every other week.  Let's see if the extra time improves the quality for episode 5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=