#221 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

They can likely still make it work, but they may have to amnesty Perkins to do it.

Which they need to do anyway IMO.

#222 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

Which they need to do anyway IMO.

I would have agreed before the Lakers got Howard. Now he can at least be quite useful in the WCF's.

Of course if they have to amnesty him to keep Harden then they should do it, but they can wait on that.

#223 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:17 PM

I would have agreed before the Lakers got Howard. Now he can at least be quite useful in the WCF's.

Of course if they have to amnesty him to keep Harden then they should do it, but they can wait on that.

Actually, that may be the reason to get rid of Perkins.

Because he has to be on the floor more, it may clog things up for them.

I thought he was a good get for them but his style of play actually seems to be a detriment to how the rest of the team plays(as you pointed out in th playoffs).

#224 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

Actually, that may be the reason to get rid of Perkins.

Because he has to be on the floor more, it may clog things up for them.

I thought he was a good get for them but his style of play actually seems to be a detriment to how the rest of the team plays(as you pointed out in th playoffs).

Obviously I agree for the most part, but at least for facing the Lakers, it will be nice to have his defense and size to throw at Dwight for stints of the game.

#225 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

Obviously I agree for the most part, but at least for facing the Lakers, it will be nice to have his defense and size to throw at Dwight for stints of the game.

Yea but does he hurt them more than he helps them when playing the Lakers?

#226 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

Yea but does he hurt them more than he helps them when playing the Lakers?

I doubt it since Collison would have a lot of trouble with Howard and if they put Ibaka at the 5 and Durant at the 4, which is usually effective, they'd have a lot of issues in the post and on the boards against Howard and Gasol. Plus, the Lakers would likely be able to avoid having Gasol on Durant since he'd be able to guard a relative non-threat at the 3 while Artest would stick Durant. If the Thunder can force Gasol to guard Durant, that would be a very difficult cover for Pau in the same way it would be for Malone or Barkley. ;)

#227 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

NBC Sports / Pro Basketball Talk: The Thunder are not stuck with Ibaka or Harden
http://probasketball...harden/related/

#228 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

Good article on the Thunder from Zach Lowe: http://nba-point-for... ... nba-title/

This is someone to read btw if one cares about the NBA or is trying to get more into it.

#229 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

Yahoo: Durant: "Lakers impressive on paper."
http://sports.yahoo....on--paper-.html

#230 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

A good article by Zach Lowe on the adjustments Kobe will have to make on offense this coming year.

http://nba-point-for... ... n-offense/

#231 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

A good article by Zach Lowe on the adjustments Kobe will have to make on offense this coming year.

http://nba-point-for... ... n-offense/

I don't follow the Lakers too closely, but has he been one of those the ball must pass through me kinda 2-guards? Is having Nash there, who controls the offense going to be a problem for him? I can't think of Nash ever really having a great 2 beside him, a couple good ones, but he's usually played with a good player or two down low and him handling the perimeter hasn't he?
@JeremyMStrain

#232 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

I don't follow the Lakers too closely, but has he been one of those the ball must pass through me kinda 2-guards? Is having Nash there, who controls the offense going to be a problem for him? I can't think of Nash ever really having a great 2 beside him, a couple good ones, but he's usually played with a good player or two down low and him handling the perimeter hasn't he?

Yeah, Kobe has required the ball a lot through his career and has been a heavy iso guy. He's also never played with much of a true PG.

Nash has played with Joe Johnson, Vince Carter (late in his career), Jason Richardson and Michael Finley. Johnson was the best of that bunch considered when Nash played with them, and he's much more of a spot up shooter than Kobe as was Carter and Richardson at their respective points in their career. Nash also played with Dirk who needed a lot of touches, but was also a great spot up shooter. So I don't think Nash has played with someone like Kobe.

Some adjustments will have to made and I think Kobe is the one who should make most of them as he has to be more willing to play off the ball, which he can do quite well as this article points out. He also needs to be content with taking less shots and just not being as much of the focal point in the offense. If he makes the proper adjustments, Nash will help him become a more efficient scorer and allow him to have more energy for defense.

#233 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

Yeah, Kobe has required the ball a lot through his career and has been a heavy iso guy. He's also never played with much of a true PG.

Nash has played with Joe Johnson, Vince Carter (late in his career), Jason Richardson and Michael Finley. Johnson was the best of that bunch considered when Nash played with them, and he's much more of a spot up shooter than Kobe as was Carter and Richardson at their respective points in their career. Nash also played with Dirk who needed a lot of touches, but was also a great spot up shooter. So I don't think Nash has played with someone like Kobe.

Some adjustments will have to made and I think Kobe is the one who should make most of them as he has to be more willing to play off the ball, which he can do quite well as this article points out. He also needs to be content with taking less shots and just not being as much of the focal point in the offense. If he makes the proper adjustments, Nash will help him become a more efficient scorer and allow him to have more energy for defense.

Hmmm that'll be interesting to watch, especially cause they have to work Howard into the mix too. Pau plays kind of that spot up shooter thing that Nash is used to, but watching the other 3 gel should be interesting. I can't imagine them winning this year unless they just magically gel from day 1, but I think they will be ready in year 2.
@JeremyMStrain

#234 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

Hmmm that'll be interesting to watch, especially cause they have to work Howard into the mix too. Pau plays kind of that spot up shooter thing that Nash is used to, but watching the other 3 gel should be interesting. I can't imagine them winning this year unless they just magically gel from day 1, but I think they will be ready in year 2.

Howard is the perfect player for Nash as he's just about one of the best big men for the pick and roll which suits Nash's game; plus, Howard's shot blocking presence is helpful for Nash since he's not great at preventing penetration.

Pau does spot up shoot more now, but he's still most effective as a post up scorer.

And as far as day one goes, Howard won't likely be back from his back surgery til around the new year from what I'm hearing. I still think this year is their best chance due to the age of Nash, Kobe, Gasol, and Artest. As well as the Thunder likely getting even better in the following season.

#235 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

Howard is the perfect player for Nash as he's just about one of the best big men for the pick and roll which suits Nash's game; plus, Howard's shot blocking presence is helpful for Nash since he's not great at preventing penetration.

Pau does spot up shoot more now, but he's still most effective as a post up scorer.

And as far as day one goes, Howard won't likely be back from his back surgery til around the new year from what I'm hearing. I still think this year is their best chance due to the age of Nash, Kobe, Gasol, and Artest. As well as the Thunder likely getting even better in the following season.

As much hating as there is about the super teams right now, I have to admit that I'm intrigued how things are going to play out. Like you said, I could see Howard, Nash and Pau fitting great, but then that leaves Kobe to adapt, so there's that to follow. Then OKC getting better and better, and who knows if LAC is going to get things together or get that one more player they need to jump in the mix. That's just the West too. It's getting real interesting. Now they just need some more teams that have a chance at beating MIA in the east.
@JeremyMStrain

#236 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

As much hating as there is about the super teams right now, I have to admit that I'm intrigued how things are going to play out. Like you said, I could see Howard, Nash and Pau fitting great, but then that leaves Kobe to adapt, so there's that to follow. Then OKC getting better and better, and who knows if LAC is going to get things together or get that one more player they need to jump in the mix. That's just the West too. It's getting real interesting. Now they just need some more teams that have a chance at beating MIA in the east.

LAL-OKC has a chance to be epic and all of the analysis that will go into that potential match-up throughout the year should be fantastic. Then there's the winner of that vs the Heat.

Amazing story lines. I think the NBA actually has the leg up on the other sports in that regard.

Oh, and besides the Clippers, I'm pretty excited about the Wolves and Nuggets next year. The Spurs aren't a team that can be written off either.

As for the East, well the Bulls can make a run if Rose gets healthy and plays at an elite level. The C's obviously pushed the Heat to the brink last year before LeBron save Miami.

#237 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

LAL-OKC has a chance to be epic and all of the analysis that will go into that potential match-up throughout the year should be fantastic. Then there's the winner of that vs the Heat.

Amazing story lines. I think the NBA actually has the leg up on the other sports in that regard.

Oh, and besides the Clippers, I'm pretty excited about the Wolves and Nuggets next year. The Spurs aren't a team that can be written off either.

As for the East, well the Bulls can make a run if Rose gets healthy and plays at an elite level. The C's obviously pushed the Heat to the brink last year before LeBron save Miami.

Yeah I think the Wolves are quietly creeping up on being a really good team too. Did I hear that Rubio got hurt though?

I'm surprised no one has gone out and signed that point guard that ripped up the US in that exhibition before the Olympics started...who was that for? I can't remember, I just know he was a pass-first playmaker and he could def play in the NBA.

I think the Cs are getting old, but I do like Rondo a lot. The Knicks are just a mess, but maybe Kidd isn't as old as he looks.

I thought Brooklyn had a good shot at putting something together if they could have gotten Howard. I think they are still a piece or two off though.

WAS would need to hit the lottery big in the draft this year, but they've got a lot of supporting pieces.

All the strength is in the West though for sure.
@JeremyMStrain

#238 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

Yeah, Rubio tore his ACL I believe. He should be back in December or January.

I think you're talking about a PG from Brazil.

The C's are old, but you can't totally count them out.

Kidd is pretty much done.

The Nets should be solid, but not a real contender or that exciting of a team to watch imo.

The Sixers may be good if Bynum stays healthy. I'm very interested to see how he does when he'll presumably be the focal point of the offense. I think he may put up big numbers.

#239 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:10 PM

Yeah, Rubio tore his ACL I believe. He should be back in December or January.

I think you're talking about a PG from Brazil.

The C's are old, but you can't totally count them out.

Kidd is pretty much done.

The Nets should be solid, but not a real contender or that exciting of a team to watch imo.

The Sixers may be good if Bynum stays healthy. I'm very interested to see how he does when he'll presumably be the focal point of the offense. I think he may put up big numbers.

Yeah the guy from Brazil, that's who it was. That dude was just carving up USA, he could definitely play somewhere. He reminded me a bit of Calderon.

I kinda got the impression that PHI was going to wait for Bynum to put up big numbers and then trade him in a big package. Might be wrong though.
@JeremyMStrain

#240 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:15 PM

Yeah the guy from Brazil, that's who it was. That dude was just carving up USA, he could definitely play somewhere. He reminded me a bit of Calderon.

I kinda got the impression that PHI was going to wait for Bynum to put up big numbers and then trade him in a big package. Might be wrong though.

I think that depends on if they can keep Andrew long-term. They have some good pieces to put around him. No real stars, but they can be a quite good if Drew becomes a 25-12 guy, which I think is possible with more touches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=