• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,226 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:53 AM

Balt Sun: With Logan Verrett and Jason Garcia O's hope to continue Rule 5 draft success
http://www.baltimore...0114-story.html

#2 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:08 PM

The title of the piece should have been "Buck doesn't own a calculator".

#3 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:01 PM

O's will find a way to keep Garcia all year by putting him in low leverage situations.    Hunter and O'Day are free agents next year.   A cheap RH reliever who can contribute in 2016 is just what they need.   

#4 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:12 PM

O's will find a way to keep Garcia all year by putting him in low leverage situations.    Hunter and O'Day are free agents next year.   A cheap RH reliever who can contribute in 2016 is just what they need.   

You realize if they let both Rule 5 guys go and stick McFarland at AAA...they still need to put either Gausman or Gonzalez at AAA....just to make today's numbers work.

Buck (in that article) suggests the value of depth for injury situations in the spring, then suggests that injuries don't have to happen for these guys (plural) to make it.

There are seven bullpen spots, the numbers don't work.

----------------

Britton

ODay

Hunter

Brach

Webb

Wright

Matusz

--------

Garcia

Verrett

McFarland

Gonzalez (or Gausman)

#5 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:42 PM

The numbers don't work right now.   I agree.    They will find a way to keep Garcia.    I look for them to move both Webb and Matusz before the season starts.    McFarland possibly to AAA to start the season.

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:22 AM

Our bullpen has way too much money tied up in good but not great relievers.

That being said, we are in theory trying to win this year and trading off proven guys to hide a rule 5 guy may not be the most prudent move unless you feel that rule 5 guy is that good and csn actually help you this year.

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,226 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:06 AM

The numbers don't work right now.   I agree.    They will find a way to keep Garcia.    I look for them to move both Webb and Matusz before the season starts.    McFarland possibly to AAA to start the season.

They do seem to really like Garcia. Certainly something to watch.

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:15 AM

Too early to say we will stash one. See how ST plays out.

Garcia is a guy who has never pitched above the South Atlantic league and has struggled with control consistently. I know he had TJ and was throwing very hard when the Os saw him but it's tough to see this kid making that kind of jump.

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,226 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:54 PM

Camden Chat: Orioles spring training day 4: Garcia and Harvey continue to get attention

http://www.camdencha...ey-charity-golf

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,226 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:29 AM

CSN Baltimore: Rule 5 draft pick shines in Orioles' intrasquad

http://www.csnbaltim...oles-intrasquad

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,226 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:03 PM

Said this in the game thread, will add here as well...

He was mostly 92-94, which can work well  if he keeps on the downward plain. I liked the mechanics.

I was underwhelmed with the off-speed stuff, and I was anticipating a bit more life (movement and power) vs. what was shown.

I think he can help a pen, but don't think it's the type of arm where you have to find a spot for him.

Just one outing though, don't know if this was atypical, the norm, or what.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,226 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:24 AM

ML Debut last night... appearing as most of us expected. Has been described as having a live arm. Saw that last night, though you can guess he had some extra adrenaline going.

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:47 PM

I agree with Branden.

I'm not impressed by Garcia. I mean, the arm is fine but I was expecting upper 90s with the way they were talking.

He's not someone to carry all year long I don't think.

Of course, I'm not basing this on much more than a few outings this year and what I have read and what his stats were in single A but he just doesn't scream out to me as someone that is a must keep.

To be honest, I would rather have Bowen in the pen.

#14 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:01 AM

I agree with Branden.

I'm not impressed by Garcia. I mean, the arm is fine but I was expecting upper 90s with the way they were talking.

He's not someone to carry all year long I don't think.

Of course, I'm not basing this on much more than a few outings this year and what I have read and what his stats were in single A but he just doesn't scream out to me as someone that is a must keep.

To be honest, I would rather have Bowen in the pen.

I dunno what you were expecting. He's making the jump from A ball. Its going to be a while before you see too much from him. They will dumb things down a bit, focus on not walking guys and how to pitch to ML hitters. Give him a month or two before you worry.
@JeremyMStrain

#15 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:33 AM

I dunno what you were expecting. He's making the jump from A ball. Its going to be a while before you see too much from him. They will dumb things down a bit, focus on not walking guys and how to pitch to ML hitters. Give him a month or two before you worry.

Im not worried per se, I just dont see this amazing arm that they feel the need they had to keep. Not only that, but it's clear he is a RP. I'm still on record as saying I would have preferred they kept Verrett. From what I saw in ST, he had some quality stuff and is a SP with innings logged at AA and AAA. I think he would've been more valuable to this team this year. He probably would have been 7 or 8th on our SP depth chart. I can't say I feel like someone like McFarland or Mike Wright can come up here and give us better innings as a SP. 

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:35 AM

I was expecting him to show a better arm than he has shown.

It's not the results that bother me.

But, if you are going to keep a pitcher in the pen all year long, one who wasn't even that good in single A, it better be because he has a great arm.

Garcia doesn't seem to have a "great" arm...just a very good one.

#17 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:38 PM

I was expecting him to show a better arm than he has shown.

It's not the results that bother me.

But, if you are going to keep a pitcher in the pen all year long, one who wasn't even that good in single A, it better be because he has a great arm.

Garcia doesn't seem to have a "great" arm...just a very good one.

We only see the IP they show us on TV.  

We don't know what they see that we don't get the opportunity to see.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,226 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:14 AM

Balt Sun / CCT: Notes: Orioles manager Buck Showalter 'proud' of Rule 5 pick Jason Garcia

http://www.carrollco...0,3130757.story

#19 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:57 PM

http://www.masnsport...-10-2-loss.html

@DJ_McCann

#20 bnickle