#21 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:20 PM

When I talk about a boring game thread I mean play by play and no interaction.  I equate it to being in a bar in my living room with a bunch of people.  If everyone was even keeled with no feeling I'd probably close out my tab and go home.  It does go over the top in the game threads though.  

Understood, and the interaction can be great, when it's about Baseball and cracking jokes or whatever. The All Star Game thread was a lot of fun, I knew no one really took the game seriously, and we were in there busting each others balls, and talking about the game..

@beginthebegin71

#22 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:23 PM

To be straight up honest with you.  Your boards outside of the game threads I think are fine.  The problem with the game threads people attack each other and that is where you build your community.  Va tech left because of game threads.  O85 left because of game threads.  There are more people then just those two, Shack says he doesn't like posting in them but he posts a lot in other areas. I find boring game threads to be boring and stop updating my screen though without the drama.  I like the back and forth but it does drive some posters away from the community.  

I have to set the record straight here again -- I didn't leave over game threads. I "left" if you want to call it that because I didn't have as much free time as I once did. Although, I try to participate in the game threads in a limited sense because I'm a bit too rational for them.

I don't know the answer -- people can't follow Chris' rules. He's too nice to really ban anyone. People think other people are too sensitive and that it should be allowed. I just wish there would be less personal attacks but I guess that's the nature of a message board, 

@levineps

#23 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:27 PM

How are you guys feeling about profanity? I'm a big offender.

Don't mind it, but it's Chris' house so Chris' rules. I know that's a common theme with what I've posted over the years and I try to respect it as much as possible. But anyone is free to start a blog. Now I get when some will say, Chris had encouraged you to post and without those active posters there would be no BSL -- I agree, but you still can go elsewhere.

@levineps

#24 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:27 PM

Listen, I was serious after the LBJ thing and the other day when I apologized to O85 about being less of an asshole. I've tried and I really don't mean to offend anyone personally. I try very hard not to make things personal. For me, being dismissive of a post isn't being personal. It can be douchy and again Im trying there, but it's not going to be an overnight thing. Otherwise,  I have pretty thick skin and like the natural give and take some of us all have here. Im with Ricker on this one. I seriously dont take any offense to anything Rob, Ricker, Weber, Cerrano, etc say to me 99% of the time. 

#25 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:38 PM

I flip out in the game threads. Guilty. When the team sucks I get pissed.

I try not to personally attack anyone except Shack and that's because he takes it upon himself to tell me what a bad fan I am.

If calling a player a loser or a turd really bothers people I'll stop, it's no big deal, but I would encourage people to grow thicker skin.

Btw, I was once told that I should ask for an Auschwitz t-shirt for my bday because I didn't get offended by team mascots. That sorta pissed me off but I got over it.

It's sports talk on an Internet website. Keep things in perspective.
  • SBTarheel and You Play to Win the Game like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#26 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:42 PM

I flip out in the game threads. Guilty. When the team sucks I get pissed.

I try not to personally attack anyone except Shack and that's because he takes it upon himself to tell me what a bad fan I am.

If calling a player a loser or a turd really bothers people I'll stop, it's no big deal, but I would encourage people to grow thicker skin.

Btw, I was once told that I should ask for an Auschwitz t-shirt for my bday because I didn't get offended by team mascots. That sorta pissed me off but I got over it.

It's sports talk on an Internet website. Keep things in perspective.

I wasn't referring to you, to be honest. There are certain posters who add nothing other than that. 

More the posters than the content. 

@beginthebegin71

#27 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:46 PM

Ok well I'll try to be more cognizant either way of ad hominem attacks on players.

But if I think Ubaldo sucks I'm gonna say if.

@bopper33

#28 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:49 PM

There's a line that shouldn't be crossed. Some people don't know where that line is so maybe a friendly reminder is in order.

I would like the game threads to be more about baseball and the actual game, but everyone brings their unique personality to them. I'm not sure what the solution is there.

I do avoid commenting on certain topics because I don't want to engage some people and don't want to go down that rabbit hole. Or if I do, it's a one and done. I'll admit that. But there are people in real life that I won't talk to about some things either. I just don't want to fact check every post. And I get frustrated when people use stats that they don't understand how they're calculated yet defend them. I hate it. I have my hot buttons and I avoid them here.

This place is a diversion for me. I come here to talk baseball and make myself laugh. I want to keep it fun for me. So just like in real life, I avoid people that increase my stress level.

If you're personally insulting and disrespecting other posters on a message board, I feel sad for you. Really. That's just sad behavior. You probably need your ass kicked.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#29 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:53 PM

I'll personally make a commitment to limiting my sniping to Tom Brady.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#30 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:54 PM

Ok well I'll try to be more cognizant either way of ad hominem attacks on players.

But if I think Ubaldo sucks I'm gonna say if.

Well, if they really are terrible people......

@beginthebegin71

#31 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:55 PM

There's a line that shouldn't be crossed. Some people don't know where that line is so maybe a friendly reminder is in order.

I would like the game threads to be more about baseball and the actual game, but everyone brings their unique personality to them. I'm not sure what the solution is there.

I do avoid commenting on certain topics because I don't want to engage some people and don't want to go down that rabbit hole. Or if I do, it's a one and done. I'll admit that. But there are people in real life that I won't talk to about some things either. I just don't want to fact check every post. And I get frustrated when people use stats that they don't understand how they're calculated yet defend them. I hate it. I have my hot buttons and I avoid them here.

This place is a diversion for me. I come here to talk baseball and make myself laugh. I want to keep it fun for me. So just like in real life, I avoid people that increase my stress level.

If you're personally insulting and disrespecting other posters on a message board, I feel sad for you. Really. That's just sad behavior. You probably need your ass kicked.

And to get laid. Now. 

• Russ likes this
@beginthebegin71

#32 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,254 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:57 PM

I had a dream the other day that Stoner banned all profanity. If you cursed, you saw the door,

#33 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,776 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:06 PM

The best kind of sniping is making fun of people who like The Hold Steady, those guys are suckers;)
  • MKlein76 and Don Quixote like this

#34 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:09 PM

The best kind of sniping is making fun of people who like The Hold Steady, those guys are suckers;)

We gotta stay positive.

• Nigel Tufnel, DuffMan and Don Quixote like this

@bopper33

#35 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:16 PM

My only wish is that the game threads were about people enjoying watching a ballgame together... 

As for the tone elsewhere, my opinion is that as long as there are different rules for certain people, that won't change... but I do understand that Chris believes in having different rules for certain people...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#36 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:33 PM

That doesn't bother me at all. I try not to be overly egregious in my use of it here, but it's part of my everyday vernacular, so I can't criticize anyone else about it.

#37 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:34 PM

Don't mind cursing at all.

@bopper33

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:37 PM

My only wish is that the game threads were about people enjoying watching a ballgame together... 

As for the tone elsewhere, my opinion is that as long as there are different rules for certain people, that won't change... but I do understand that Chris believes in having different rules for certain people...

You think I have separate rules for Rob... that's not true. The same rules, and expectations exist.... but there is the reality that I'm going to be more lenient with the guy that I've been friends with for 20 years, was a groomsmen in my wedding....  that drives a lot of the discussion here.

If I wasn't lenient, and I just banned people immediately for not respecting the few rules we have....  you both would be banned.

Which isn't what anyone (at-least what I) wants... since you both bring a lot to the board.

Also because I think both Rob and you (particularly when not reacting to each other) have made efforts to follow the few rules we have. (Making an effort to change because of me.. which is appreciated.)

For example... Rob can be confrontational, but I think he has attempted to reign things in vs. how he acted at times at OH. 
(Could I do without the example Ricker posted of Rob reacting to Jordan above? Sure.)  Another example would be that I see you respecting our desire to avoid political / social discussions.. even when it's clear you want to speak to those topics.

I think there are a lot of quality comments in this thread which speaks to what the board should be.

I'll state the obvious... I can't moderate every comment here. The board has to police itself some (escalating things to me when necessary).

Another thing I'll say is that if people (particularly regulars) feel like they are better off not posting (or it is more enjoyable to avoid posting) because of the actions of others.... that sucks.

I'd like to see those posters continue to speak / post... being part of the solution vs. leaving, and causing the 'problems' to escalate. (I say that understanding it is not their responsibility to do so, and if it's not fun for them... can't blame them for leaving.) And hopefully the majority of the board will chime in and help police / provide corrective action of the posters which makes posting uncomfortable for some.

The last thing I'll say is that if you read through the comments here... what you see is that there are different lines. My bottom-line is always that this is sports talk... should be a diversion and fun. Disagree where you disagree... but there isn't reason for things to get personal.

• Adam Wolff and Pedro Cerrano like this

#39 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:37 PM

As an avid curser in my daily speech, I do make an effort to censor myself on here. I don't think anyone goes overboard here though, at worst we're pg13.

#40 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:04 PM

I guess I should preface this by saying that I care a lot less about sports (especially the North American professional "Big Four") than I used to, say, 15-25 years ago, when I was very into it all (the way most posters here still seem to be). There are various reasons for that - some philosophical, some not. One of the more relatable ones that doesn't involve going too far out on tangents is that I just have other things to worry about. The time I've been posting, either here or across the street (I lurked there for a couple of years or so before posting), has pretty much been the darkest time of my life. Why do I read or post, then? I suppose there's still a part of me that has enough of that sporting connection, though now in a more local and less intense way than before. I also enjoy the "life/other" aspects of things; you will find that most of my posts are there or in game threads, and not in the "super-serious" sports discussions (if I don't know enough to make an argument, or the point is already succinctly made [which happens often enough since I'm usually late to the thread], I generally stay mute and move on). If it wasn't for those areas, I probably wouldn't bother sticking around (which is not an indictment of the board). So, I have a different perspective than many posters here, as something of a non-entity.

Now, as for the actual topic...as preceding posters have said, there are certainly different types of sniping. Ball-busting between regulars, whether it's in the serious discussion areas or not, is fine. It just needs to be gone about in a common sense sort of way. Most of us have a pretty good idea of when it goes from friendly jabs to haymakers that are personal in nature. Ultimately, fewer people post or further educate themselves to make more informed posts when the latter happens too much. Many folks don't want to deal with topics/boards where they feel posters are too intimidating or sophomoric, especially in the in-depth sports discussion areas.

Game threads aren't everyone's cup, and I understand that. I like for it to be a mix of different types of posters and perspectives, though. The types of posts I throw in can vary wildly. Sometimes, when no one's in there, I do PBP/descriptive PBP so that someone who missed the game and goes to the game thread first can get a bit of an idea of how things transpired. Most of the time, that will be in ST games, but either way, I'm not going to wax verbose in a game thread if no one else is there to read it. If that's boring, whatever. Sometimes I post out of frustration; sometimes that frustration is just from the game and what's behind it, and sometimes my general life feelings of the moment get me more amped. In division games especially, I will have a shorter fuse, and am more likely to lose my shit. Same goes for prolonged slumps/periods of underachievement. Generally, I'm better about that now than in the Era of Suckitude, since they don't always lose when they get behind early by a couple of runs, but I will still have my "moments." Unfortunately, some really harsh shit can occur in there between posters, and in the life/other areas, which is really a shame. In the game threads specifically, sometimes that has to do with baseball and the game, and sometimes it doesn't.

Profanity...I don't think it's out of hand here, though it should probably be less welcome in the focused sports discussion areas. I like the flexibility with it, and if we stay out of SoSH Squared territory, it will probably be fine. Where does it appear most...rants and game threads? (Actual question, though we can only ever get an eye test, I guess.) I keep it in check when I can.

In general, everyone should take the uncomfortable personal shit private, or ditch it. Crack wise, fine, but don't fuck around where it isn't warranted. We have a good idea when shit isn't kosher anymore. If things are too out of control, yeah, step on that shit. I don't worry too much about it, because I don't participate in it, really, and at worst it just gets annoying at times. However, from a broader standpoint, I see the problems. It would have to get really insane for me to not want to post anymore, because there are too many good posters and good posts here, though I wish at times there were more.

We don't need a clampdown. We just need common sense.

• BSLChrisStoner, Russ, BobPhelan and 2 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=