#1 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:59 AM

Albert Haynesworth recently made news with a letter he wrote to his younger self about the mistakes he made and what he should have done.

So, if you did the same thing, what would you tell your younger self to do?

#2 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:53 AM

I'd listen to the guy who I took a tech support call from around 2001 who told me that Google was going to be the next big thing.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#3 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:08 PM

Buy more then 100 shares of Chipotle you schmuck at 49 dollars a share you could afford 1000 shares at the time do it who cares you don't need that new car.

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:27 PM

I would have gone away to college and probably chosen a different career path.

#5 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:29 PM

Applied myself a little more in school. Gone to a better law school. Not chase some girl around for 3 years that had zero interest.
  • You Play to Win the Game and Russ like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#6 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:30 PM

I'm assuming this is real stuff and not "bet on every Super bowl winner."

@bopper33

#7 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:55 PM

I bought 100 shares of chipotle for 49 in 2006 still own it today yes it grew to about 60k but 1k of shares would have been 600k and that would have been life changing to me.

• Russ likes this
<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:57 PM

1.) Dropped a few more "Fuck You's" to people who deserved it, BEFORE I let them destroy my confidence

2.) Been more assertive earlier in my career

3.) Gotten a Dog the day I moved out from my parents... not 7 years later

4.)  Traveled less, saved more (more of a balance)

5.) Take a cooking class in high school and take it seriously... convince myself that all fast food gives you the HIV

6.) Taken more chances with the ladies... in hindsight I blew some serious opportunities with great girls because of fear and insecurity

More to come

• Russ and RShack like this

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:14 PM

Yep

#10 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:15 PM

I would have memorized more The Hold Steady lyrics.

• mweb08, RShack, DuffMan and 1 other like this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#11 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:53 PM

I'm pretty much still my younger self, but my youngerest self could've still used a few pointers:

Focus and work harder in high school, both academically and athletically. Worry less about partying and being cool, more about being your best.

You're one lucky son of a bitch to this point, but still could've saved yourself some trouble if you knew when to say no.

Don't make major life decisions based on what you think somebody else wants, especially not a high school girlfriend.

Frankly, I can see a lot of positive that's come from even the poor decisions I've made in life, so I'd maybe never send the damn letter anyway.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#12 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:59 PM

1.) Dropped a few more "Fuck You's" to people who deserved it, BEFORE I let them destroy my confidence

5.) Take a cooking class in high school and take it seriously... convince myself that all fast food gives you the HIV

6.) Taken more chances with the ladies... in hindsight I blew some serious opportunities with great girls because of fear and insecurity

More to come

You're winning the thread so far...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#13 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:59 PM

Frankly, I can see a lot of positive that's come from even the poor decisions I've made in life, so I'd maybe never send the damn letter anyway.

I agree with this. It's still a fun exercise... but provided you do grow from life's experiences (not everyone does), the mistakes are valuable.
  • Bmore Irish likes this

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:58 PM

1.) Dropped a few more "Fuck You's" to people who deserved it, BEFORE I let them destroy my confidence

3.) Gotten a Dog the day I moved out from my parents... not 7 years later

4.) Traveled less, saved more (more of a balance)

More to come

You know, I wish I had gone away to school. I had the chance and didn't take it. It was in Florida and would have gone with Stoney. Had I done that, I may never have come back up here. I think about that quite often..how I missed out on that.

But I did very well for myself and unfortunately, because of several different circumstances, I didn't get out of my parents house until I was almost 30 because I refused to rent. I had the money but the buying of a house had to be put off due to changing jobs, needing 2 years of tax returns, etc...

Anyway, while living at home and making good money at work, I saved my ass off. I didn't travel and I didn't enjoy some things I wish I had...but, the amount of money I was able to put down on my first house put me in great shape to buy my current house. My current house is pretty big and nice and I'm glad I did what I did to get to this point.....but I do regret not experiencing more things in my younger years,

I have always been good with my money but sometimes I wish I wasn't as good and did/saw more.

#15 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:27 PM

I could probably write a dozen things, but number one by far is that you need to be a bit more proactive in planning your life, and not just going with where it takes you all the time.  And there's certainly something to be said for the latter, but you need to actually set some goals and strive for them, something I've always struggled with.  Mostly with regards to college, I went to college because it was the next thing to do in life, not because I had any plan for what I wanted to do with myself.

Not sure I'm expressing myself clearly here.  I'm tired. :)

• Russ likes this

#16 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:44 PM

More to come

You're winning the thread so far...

Other than that less travel part. Maybe Ricker should have saved more money instead on BDubs and booze. ;)

#17 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:46 PM

I don't have nearly the amount of money saved up that I should.  Not even close.  That said, I don't regret spending lots of money to travel and have fun that I did when I was younger.

Eventually I will settle down and put a nice chunk away, outside of my 401K which hasn't looked to healthy lately....

Oh yea, I would write a letter to myself today to not stress over its balance on a day to day basis -- that will just lead to more gray hairs.

@bopper33

#18 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:46 PM

Be more serious about school when I was young, have the college experience, find a true career earlier (teaching), and travel more as well as better.

#19 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:48 PM

Weber - That line would be for a letter to my current self. ;)

It's not that I regret the traveling. It's that living this area, with just one income... savings is paramount. Just a little more balance is all. There were a few years I had 3-4 different trips, 1-2 would have been better.

#20 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:51 PM

Weber - That line would be for a letter to my current self. ;)

It's not that I regret the traveling. It's that living this area, with just one income... savings is paramount. Just a little more balance is all. There were a few years I had 3-4 different trips, 1-2 would have been better.

I don't know the details, but in general people (that actually have the money to do so) don't travel enough imo and if savings are an issue, can easily cut back elsewhere and/or travel cheaper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=