68 replies to this topic

#61 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:46 PM

Yeah I know, but for instance, my Firefox is using almost a GB of my memory, and overall I'm at 32% of my 8GB, and I'm not really running much, just excel, firefox and remote access. On hers that would be what 64% ish? That's a lot of bogging down. I'll have to run the stats next time I play on hers and see what they look like.

The real constraint isn't the nominal amount of RAM but rather some multiple of it... for simplicity, lets just say the multiple is 2... the OS is turning X amount of RAM into 2X RAM by moving stuff in and out as needed... for practical purposes, you have no control over this, it just does it...and sometimes does it even when you might think it doesn't need to... (both God and operating systems work in mysterious ways... as a Loyola grad, I get to say stuff like that...)

While Firefox uses much more RAM than Chrome for a single tab, it's way more RAM-efficient for a large bunch of tabs... Firefox has high initial overhead but then has just marginal increases per additional tab... with Chrome, each tab is its own instance of Chrome, and for a bunch of tabs it adds up in a hurry... but for just a couple tabs, Chrome is less resource hungry... if we're talking about just a small number of tabs, next time you're bored, compare how Firefox and Chrome do in terms of how responsive they each seem...

Plus, I don't know if Firefox ever really fixed their memory leaks... I quit paying attention to that after years of them sayinig they had when on my machine they sure hadn't...  not dissing Firefox, just their memory leaks... which may or may not be fixed by now...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#62 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:00 PM

You sure about that?

My work computer has a 256 GB drive and I use about 110 GB of that. I don't have any media on this computer (obviously) but I have some pretty large data files.

Not all data is stored in comparably efficient files... things that aren't explicitly db files can be, shall we say, less than elegant...

I once paid $350 to buy a 750GB HDD because I needed the space... this was with zero entertainment media stored... then about a month later, HDD's got suddenly way,way cheaper for some reason unknown to me... I was too busy cussing to find out...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#63 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:01 PM

RAM is like money.   More is better.  You might not need a lot, but it's good to know you have a lot.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#64 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:19 PM

RAM is like money.   More is better.  You might not need a lot, but it's good to know you have a lot.

For that Toshiba he's looking at, I think he gets to pick whether his 8GB is one-8 vs two-4's... if it was me, I'd pick the one-8... no real diff in the short run, makes it cheaper and easier to add another 8 later in the (somewhat unlikely) event he wants it...

#65 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:22 PM

For that Toshiba he's looking at, I think he gets to pick whether his 8GB is one-8 vs two-4's... if it was me, I'd pick the one-8... no real diff in the short run, makes it cheaper and easier to add another 8 later in the (somewhat unlikely) event he wants it...

Agreed, only I'd immediately go buy another 8 GB stick because why not lol.   Back in the day, having two sticks of the same size (2x4) was faster than having one stick (1x8) because it allowed the RAM to run "dual channel", which was faster.   However, things are so fast these days that it probably doesn't matter.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#66 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:28 PM

Agreed, only I'd immediately go buy another 8 GB stick because why not lol.   

Because when you buy it from them with the laptop, they charge you more-than-twice as much as it should cost?  Just goinig from 4 to 8 is gonna cost him $80... to add another 8, they want an additional $160... so, goinig from 4 to 16 would cost him $240, which is nuts... he could just get it stock and buy the 16 himself for under a hundred bucks... or buy just 8 (and thus have 12) for less than $50...

Unless somebody is doing something special, the desire for 16GB mystefies me... almost nobody needs that...  now, if you're editing video or something, that's different... but most people would never know if they had it or not... 

#67 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:54 PM

So I recently got a surface pro 3. I like it and all but the clock never updates to the correct time. Whenever I don;t use it for a few hours or a day or so, it just keeps the last time.

I haven't changed any settings so I'm not sure the issue. Can anyone assist?

#68 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:35 PM

So I recently got a surface pro 3. I like it and all but the clock never updates to the correct time. Whenever I don;t use it for a few hours or a day or so, it just keeps the last time.

I haven't changed any settings so I'm not sure the issue. Can anyone assist?

Check this out.

http://answers.micro...b424d877?auth=1

• Chris B likes this

#69 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:13 PM

Finally... an apparently-good mid-range Chromebook... 1080p IPS, backlit keyboard, choice of processors, choice of RAM... it can get spendy but doesn't have to be...

Now that crouton lets you have ChromeOS up with Ubuntu running in a concurrent active window, I wonder about the price of the i3 with 8GB..  or even the std cpu with 8GB...

http://www.engadget....-chromebook-13/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=