698 replies to this topic

#121 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:44 PM

Starz has a really solid movie collection, IMO, I think I watch more movies On Demand from Starz than any of the other premium channels. 

I've never watched any of their original series, though.  Cinemax either.

#122 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,971 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:48 PM

American Gods, based on the Neil Gaiman book, is going to be airing on Starz in 2017, so I'll keep this in mind.

#123 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:00 PM

American Gods, based on the Neil Gaiman book, is going to be airing on Starz in 2017, so I'll keep this in mind.

Yeah they need that to be good and more programming like it if they want this to work out well. Their movie lineup used to be on Netflix, I'm sure there's some good stuff.

CBS only charges 7 bucks, I would've thought 5 or 6 dollars for this but who knows.

#124 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:25 AM

Our great neighbors to the north...

The number of Canadians cutting the cord is soaring in Canada, says a new report.

According to the Convergence Consulting Group, 190,000 Canadians ended their ties with traditional TV in 2015. That's an 80 per cent increase from the previous year when 105,000 people cut the cord.

It's almost a doubling of a loss," comments Brahm Eiley, president of the Toronto-based market research company. He says the jump is statistically significant because it's such a radical shift compared with just two years ago.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...tflix-1.3525949

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#125 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,514 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:44 AM

WSJ: Sling TV Launches New Multi-Stream Version With Fox Channels

You won't be able to get this and Disney's channels (read: ESPN) on the same package. Nonetheless, this feels like a big deal. FOX seemed like one of the staunchest holdouts when it came to offering its content on a stand-alone OTT service....until now.

#126 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:35 AM

Playstation Vue:   Better than Sling.tv?

http://www.cnet.com/...laystation-vue/

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#127 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,514 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:52 PM

Engadget: Sling TV is making a box to stream free local TV channels

#128 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:26 PM

I'm contemplating cutting the cord when we settle into a new house. Just seems like to pay for only internet is like 60 bucks as opposed to getting a tv/internet bundle for like 100. By the time you get an antenna, DVR, sling tv, HBO NOW, Netflix, etc you're spending the same if not more.

#129 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:05 PM

I'm contemplating cutting the cord when we settle into a new house. Just seems like to pay for only internet is like 60 bucks as opposed to getting a tv/internet bundle for like 100. By the time you get an antenna, DVR, sling tv, HBO NOW, Netflix, etc you're spending the same if not more.

Nah. All you need is Internet and your parents (or hers) log in info for their tv. Fios or Comcast both work. I cut in 2010 and haven't looked back.
  • BobPhelan likes this

@fuzydunlop

#130 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:05 PM

My internet provider is Armstrong and cost me $50 a month. Started out as $35 and they bumped the price each time they increased the speed. It really depends on what your viewing habits as to cutting the cord. When I did it the only cable channels I missed were FOX News/Business. Think of your viewing habits and it may just be more cost effective to buy a particular show. 

I don't do Sling TV, HBO or Netflix and have gotten Netflix for a month for a particular show, like House of Cards. I do have an OTA and a network based DVR (Tablo) for it so I can get all my network needs including the NFL. The Tablo was a real game changer. It can record up to 2 channels (they have a 4 channel one too). As it is network based you can watch your recordings on any devices on your system. 

I have Amazon Prime and Hulu, but you'll want to get a Roku unit. I've tried them all, Chromecast, Fire TV and by far the best is Roku. So many free channels available with free content 

And than their is Plex. A media server that allows you to watch all of your media that you have when it is copied to your server and it available for viewing on your network system. Plex also provides channels for ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS and shows will be available for free the next morning. Here's a listing of the available channels on Plex

http://cordcutting.com/plex-channels/

Some require a cable provider info, but their are ways around that, Cable free for 18 months and no turning back...

• BobPhelan likes this

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#131 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,514 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:47 PM

Nah. All you need is Internet and your parents (or hers) log in info for their tv. Fios or Comcast both work. I cut in 2010 and haven't looked back.

And if the Comcast wifi signal is strong enough, like at my place, you don't even need your own internet.  :wink:

#132 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:11 PM

And if the Comcast wifi signal is strong enough, like at my place, you don't even need your own internet.  :wink:
Yep did that in the Bay Area. It was located in a business that closed at 5 so it was basically mine all night.

@fuzydunlop

#133 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:20 PM

If you wanna bundle of internet and cable.,.. once you add $ for HD.. and $ for that extra tier... and $ for HBO... and $ for renting the crappy DVR they're gonna rent you, I bet it's more than $100...  

Unless you're 50 miles away from the tower, or in a valley in the mountains, a perfectly good TV antenna is cheap...  I got a used (Amz Warehouse) one of these a couple weeks ago for $23 and it works great... depending on where you are, the amplified aspect of it might be overkill...

• BobPhelan likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#134 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:51 AM

Prime Video only - $8.99 month, Prime Full Bundle (Video/Music/Shipping) - $10.99 month

On Sunday night the online retailer is turning on a monthly subscription option for its bundle of Prime services, like free shipping, a music library, and a growing collection of original TV shows and movies.

Until now, Prime has only been available as a $99 annual subscription.

What's more, Amazon is now offering a separate monthly subscription just for its TV and movie collection — the part it calls Prime Video.

Amazon has never made Prime Video available as its own product before. It's always been a part of the bundle. So it seems like Amazon is positioning Prime Video as a head-on competitor to Netflix and Hulu.

http://money.cnn.com...eo-new-pricing/

#135 Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:56 AM

I would have cut the cord already if not for the troublesome situation with getting the O's games. If I lived out of market and could do MLBTV this would Be done already.

#136 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:22 AM

I would have cut the cord already if not for the troublesome situation with getting the O's games. If I lived out of market and could do MLBTV this would Be done already.

And their are ways around that.

https://thevpn.guru/...karound-vpn-dns

#137 Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:07 PM

And their are ways around that.   https://thevpn.guru/...karound-vpn-dns
Yeah I need to look further into that type of stuff. I'm not overly tech savvy and I'm worried something would go wrong. Does anyone here use the VPN or DNS option noted in that link? Any preference between the two?

#138 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 05:08 PM

Yeah I need to look further into that type of stuff. I'm not overly tech savvy and I'm worried something would go wrong. Does anyone here use the VPN or DNS option noted in that link? Any preference between the two?

VPN works like a charm... my problem is that I want cheapo options (I'm a tightwad about some things), and what I run into is bandwidth constraints... what you need for HD is a MIN of 3 mbps... 5 would be better... which ain't much anymore, now that broadband is defined as 20+ mbps... but the VPN has to pass stuff to you at that rate...  highly rated ones probably do....

#139 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:21 AM

http://www.theverge....era-web-browser

• BSLMikeLowe and McNulty like this

#140 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:37 PM

http://www.theverge....era-web-browser

Where was this last weekend when I was blacked out from the Texas series?  Seriously this is awesome if it works.  Going to try it tonight if I can.

edit: Awesome, pulled up the Astros game no problem.

@fuzydunlop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=