#1 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

There is no forum for tennis but he just disposed of Djokovic in 4 sets to reach the Finals at Wimbledon.

Great to see. Federer is one of my all-time favorites, the epitome of humble versus that assclown Nadal.

Would love to see him win another title.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

There is no forum for tennis but he just disposed of Djokovic in 4 sets to reach the Finals at Wimbledon.

Great to see. Federer is one of my all-time favorites, the epitome of humble versus that assclown Nadal.

Would love to see him win another title.

Yeah, good for him. I like Djokovic, but with many of the whispers about Federer basically being too old/not good enough to win another title, it'd be great to see him do it. It's been a wild tournament..I would have probably bet a solid amount that at least one of Nadal/Djokovic would be in the final.

A Murray/Federer final could be very good.

@AdamWolff

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

Agreed...Its awesome.

I hope he can finish it off and win another title.

#4 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

Nadal isn't an assclown.Djokovich is though. Clearly Fed is past his prime but all he's ever needed was to have to go through 1 of Djokovich/Nadal instead of both.......Im not sure what to expect in this Final. I feel like Murray should feed off the British support but gut says the pressure overwhelms him. Its either going to be a really good match or Fed runs him.

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

I love Federer and usually root for him. But I'll be rooting for Murray on Sunday. A Brit needs to win Wimbledon at some point.

#6 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

Djokovic (on a side note I hate listing to sports on WBAL in the morning as Keith Mills doesn't know how to pronounce Djokovic's name)
Nadal

Federer.

#7 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

Nadal isn't an assclown.Djokovich is though. Clearly Fed is past his prime but all he's ever needed was to have to go through 1 of Djokovich/Nadal instead of both.......Im not sure what to expect in this Final. I feel like Murray should feed off the British support but gut says the pressure overwhelms him. Its either going to be a really good match or Fed runs him.

Speaking of which, I don't pay that much attention to Tennis tournament draws, but they seem odd to me. Why does the #1 play the #3 in the quarterfinals? This seems to happen often in these tourneys. Shouldn't it be #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3 assuming everyone gets through?

BTW, I'm also happy for Federer.

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

Speaking of which, I don't pay that much attention to Tennis tournament draws, but they seem odd to me. Why does the #1 play the #3 in the quarterfinals? This seems to happen often in these tourneys. Shouldn't it be #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3 assuming everyone gets through?

BTW, I'm also happy for Federer.

Its random draw. 1 and 2 are obviously placed on opposite sides of the draw but the 3 and 4 could end up on either side. K Just so happens that Federer has been on Djokovich's side for like the last 5 or 6 majors.

#9 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:30 PM

Its random draw. 1 and 2 are obviously placed on opposite sides of the draw but the 3 and 4 could end up on either side. K Just so happens that Federer has been on Djokovich's side for like the last 5 or 6 majors.

I'm not a fan of the random draw, especially when there's been a pretty clear cut top 3.

#10 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:57 AM

I'm not a fan of the random draw, especially when there's been a pretty clear cut top 3.

The draw is random so as to avoid a situation in which the same matchups come up in every major tournament. It's exactly because you've had the same top 4 for the past couple years that you have randomness thrown in to determine who faces whom in the semis.

It's also randomized at the 5-8 level, the 9-16 level, and the 17-32 level.

So you could get #1 facing #17, #9, #5, and #3 instead of facing #32, #16, #8, and #4.

I liked this better in the WTA when they used to give bonus points in the rankings based on the quality of the opponent you beat.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#11 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:05 AM

Oh, and BTW, I am a huge fan of Federer. He's just a classy guy and he deserves all the success he's had.

I can't stand Nadal. Something about him rubs me entirely wrong.

As for Djokovic, I think he's hilarious, and I appreciate the humor he's added to the top of the game. I certainly like him more than Nadal.

-Walter Sobchak

#12 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

Oh, and BTW, I am a huge fan of Federer. He's just a classy guy and he deserves all the success he's had.

I can't stand Nadal. Something about him rubs me entirely wrong.

As for Djokovic, I think he's hilarious, and I appreciate the humor he's added to the top of the game. I certainly like him more than Nadal.

With you 100% on this. Djokovic's humor is great for the game. Federer is just an absolute class act, impossible not to root for him.

Pretty good tennis match going on right now!

@AdamWolff

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

The draw is random so as to avoid a situation in which the same matchups come up in every major tournament. It's exactly because you've had the same top 4 for the past couple years that you have randomness thrown in to determine who faces whom in the semis.

It's also randomized at the 5-8 level, the 9-16 level, and the 17-32 level.

So you could get #1 facing #17, #9, #5, and #3 instead of facing #32, #16, #8, and #4.

I liked this better in the WTA when they used to give bonus points in the rankings based on the quality of the opponent you beat.

Yet, the rankings change anyway. And whomever is ranked 1st should not have to play the #3 guy before the Finals imo.

#14 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

Congrats to Fed for winning his record tying 7th Wimbledon, and 17th overall grand slam!

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

I was rooting for Murray, like I said, but I can never be upset to see Federer win. Damn, he's good.

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

Congrats to Fed for winning his record tying 7th Wimbledon, and 17th overall grand slam!

How awesome was that 20 minute game? That turned the whole match..and Murray was up 40-0!

I have always had this enormous appreciation for dominate teams/athletes. So, I'm glad to see Fed win a major on his "back nine".

#17 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

How awesome was that 20 minute game? That turned the whole match..and Murray was up 40-0!

I have always had this enormous appreciation for dominate teams/athletes. So, I'm glad to see Fed win a major on his "back nine".

Yeah, it was pretty intense. Fed had some great shots during that match.

#18 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

Yeah, it was pretty intense. Fed had some great shots during that match.

His footwork is so impressive. I think one of the commentators mentioned it, but sometimes it looks like he's floating, he's just moving around so effortlessly.

@AdamWolff

#19 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

Lets put something to rest right now. Federer is easily the purest player to ever play the game. Just a tremendous shotmaker. I mean really there isn't any competetion as the GOAT either but when it comes to effortless skill he is far and away the man.

#20 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

His footwork is so impressive. I think one of the commentators mentioned it, but sometimes it looks like he's floating, he's just moving around so effortlessly.

This really is the key. He is NEVER in a bad position. He has perfect footwork, and he's always in the right spot to make the best possible shot. It's very rare that he beats himself, therefore. It usually requires someone of top-notch talent to play a flawless game to beat him.

-Walter Sobchak

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=