#21 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

Thought it was a bit over-the-top how much they hammered home that Walt was the one who poisoned Brock. I thought the end of last season with the shot of the flower pot was enough. Having Walt remember to throw away the flower when he's cleaning all the bomb-making supplies up and then having Saul give Walt the ricin cigarette and make clear that yes, Huell lifted if off of Jesse when he frisked him seems like really pushing too hard just to make sure that everybody knows what happened.

Everything else was great. Jesse being super excited over the magnets was my favorite part.

Just my opinion. But I think that whole driving home the Brock thing really made clear that there will be an eventual epic show down between Walt and Jesse. I mean, I think most of us figured that would be the case anyway, but now there's no denying it. They wanted that to be fresh in our minds for a reason.

The whole magnet thing/Jesse's reaction was great stuff.

#22 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

Just my opinion. But I think that whole driving home the Brock thing really made clear that there will be an eventual epic show down between Walt and Jesse. I mean, I think most of us figured that would be the case anyway, but now there's no denying it. They wanted that to be fresh in our minds for a reason.

The whole magnet thing/Jesse's reaction was great stuff.

They've set up a Walt/Jesse showdown, a Walt/Hank showdown, possibly a Walt/Skyler showdown, and maybe others.

He's the Albuquerque Kid. He's going to kill more people than Cecil B. DeMille.

#23 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

Thought it was a great first episode of the season. I've got no issue when them using a few strategies to get home the point about Walt poisoning Brock. I also think they did a great job of showing that if there was any doubt about what Walt has become, there shouldn't be. He's no longer the timid school teacher or even guy cooking meth to make money for his family. I think that was probably apparent by how the last season ended, but just the way he handled Saul and talked to Mike, you know that he's made the full transition to 'the dark side', so to speak.

A Walt/Jesse feud has to be imminent. Wonder how Mike fits into that? And when does Hank start to suspect Walt? Does Skyler become increasingly worried/problematic for Walt or does she play along and aid him?

It's going to be a great season!

@AdamWolff

#24 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

"because I said so."

Loved the magnet stuff.

I think the series ends with Jessie killing Walt, but that'll be after next year's 8. I think the flash forward we saw will be this year's finale. I'm gonna guess Walt going and killing Mike.

#25 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

What a captivating show. I just started watching it recently. I'm halfway through Season 3 right now. The last episode I watched was the one where The Twins made the attempt on Hank's life. Holy shizznit!!! I could hardly catch my breath!
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,931 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

What a captivating show. I just started watching it recently. I'm halfway through Season 3 right now. The last episode I watched was the one where The Twins made the attempt on Hank's life. Holy shizznit!!! I could hardly catch my breath!

Man, are you in for a treat. The end of season 3 is ridiculous. And then season 4 somehow actually ends up being even better and more intense.

#27 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

What Mackus said.

That episode you just watched was insane.

#28 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

I listen to a TV review podcast, so by the time I started watching I had a pretty good idea of what would be happening through most of the series (through season four). But damn, when you are watching everything happen you forget that you know and you get engrossed in the tension.

#29 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

I heard something interesting the other day where Breaking Bad was compared (fittingly) to a science experiment. Basically Vince Gilligan is following this one single plotline, controlling for everything that doesn't involve Walter (you see little of Walter Jr., outside of his well-noted love of breakfast, for example) and seeing how things change over time. Everything else the show lets us see, from events in Jesse's life to Skylar even down to Marie's shoplifting, is related in some way back to the single, main storyline.

#30 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:29 AM

Fun fact that I just learned from Jimmy Fallon.. Bob Odenkirk (who plays Saul) actually wrote the rather famous SNL skit that Chris Farley did, where he is the motivational speaker who lives in a van down by the river.

And you have to watch it now, of course.

oWvgcQBt8mc

@AdamWolff

#31 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

Mike finally made a bad move.

Also, I imagine death by defibrillator is not a fun way to go.

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,931 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

Great episode. I thought the writers (Gilligan) did a really good job of establishing a reason for Mike to hook up with Walt and Jesse. Mike-centric episodes are always so good.

#33 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

Great episode. I thought the writers (Gilligan) did a really good job of establishing a reason for Mike to hook up with Walt and Jesse. Mike-centric episodes are always so good.

Mike really is great. I think the prospect of the 3 of them now working together is very entertaining, ultimately leading to some sort of 3 way showdown. All the while, Hank remains on the trail!

@AdamWolff

#34 KRL224

KRL224
  • Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

Finally got around to watching the latest episode last night. The best part was listening to Hank's boss tell him about Fring, being "someone else completely, right in front of me, right under my nose". Can't wait for Hank to make that same realization later this season. I also liked that they gave a little more back story to Mike. You have to like the similarities between Walk and Hank, each trying to provide for their families.

How much of the Fring/Madrigal partnership is Walt aware of? At all?
@KRL224

#35 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

Finally got around to watching the latest episode last night. The best part was listening to Hank's boss tell him about Fring, being "someone else completely, right in front of me, right under my nose". Can't wait for Hank to make that same realization later this season. I also liked that they gave a little more back story to Mike. You have to like the similarities between Walk and Hank, each trying to provide for their families.

How much of the Fring/Madrigal partnership is Walt aware of? At all?

I think he is aware of it either through working in the lab (Madrigal provided the equipment) or from seeing Gale's notes and Hank's research from the investigation.

Did anyone mix up some Franch? I just remembered that I have both of those at home, so I may have to. And I want to find a Whiskerstays.

#36 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

Franch sounds really good.

Great episode.

#37 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

I'm never hiring an exterminator. I'll just burn my own house down if the bugs get that bad.

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,931 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:21 PM

My favorite episode of the season so far. Just getting better and better. So bittersweet that we're only getting 8 episodes. I could watch 80. Love the new mobile lab (and like seeing Landry from FNL).

Also, Skyler is just getting worse and worse. I can't stand her.

#39 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:07 AM

My favorite episode of the season so far. Just getting better and better. So bittersweet that we're only getting 8 episodes. I could watch 80. Love the new mobile lab (and like seeing Landry from FNL).

Also, Skyler is just getting worse and worse. I can't stand her.

Agreed. I mean I get why she's having issues, but that doesn't make it any less annoying for me.

So does someone eventually go back into their home while it's being exterminated? I think the contract signing with the customer may have foreshadowed that. Having the movie Scarface on is also interesting since the creator has talked about Walt White's evolution resulting in a Scarface type character.

Interesting part of Alan Sepinwall's review:

We still don't know the method of delivery, but I have to assume that putting Brock in a room with Walt was the show's way of letting us know that Walt didn't give it to the kid directly. That said, I wasn't wild about us seeing Jesse and Andrea back together, like nothing strange had happened between them in the episode where a frantic Jesse told Andrea that her son might have been poisoned in a very, very specific way. As with the poisoning itself, it feels like the show has skipped a few steps with this story, and in this case there's not even the excuse of them having to maintain suspense and surprise.

I agree with him.

#40 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,931 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

Interesting part of Alan Sepinwall's review:

I agree with him.

Haven't read his review yet, but I agree with the analysis. Also, I liked the more subtle way of showing us that information rather than the, in my opinion, over-emphasized way they showed us that Walt did in fact poison Brock in the premiere, with him throwing away the plant and then the conversation with Saul. They could have just let the frantic phone call from Jesse and then Walt hiding the ricin cigarette and helping Jesse "find" the faked one would have been plenty without being over the top. My only, very minor, complaint about the season so far. Everything else has been absolutely fantastic. I don't know how this show can continue to keep up it's amazingly high quality, just a masterful job.

I really liked how the scene with Skyler and Marie started off with Skyler just screaming at Marie like everybody on the show and watching the show has probably wanted to many times and evolved into her breaking down. I can't stand Skyler, but the actress playing her does a great job to make us feel that way about her. Reminds me of the kid playing Joffrey on Game of Thrones. It takes talent to play a character that obnoxious while not feeling cartoonish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=