13 replies to this topic

#1 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,995 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:52 AM

Just when you thought Schilling couldn't possibly be any more of a tool than he already was...

http://arstechnica.c... ... taxpayers/

"The sports icon decried government handouts, then wasted millions in tax money"... and at least one BOS fan is really PO'd about it...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#2 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:28 AM

I have a hard time reading articles that have an error literally in the first sentence.

That being said RI was stupid and Schilling and his business partners didn't treat his people well. You should read the piece one of the employee's wife wrote.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#3 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,671 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

Yeah that's terrible what happened to those employees. Stuck with moving costs and second mortgages. I heard Epic hired a bunch of them, so that helps a little.

Apparently the game they made was actually really good.

#4 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:09 AM

Yeah that's terrible what happened to those employees. Stuck with moving costs and second mortgages. I heard Epic hired a bunch of them, so that helps a little.

Making good games isn't enough, just ask Interplay. The lead topic on their website news is Battlechess is on Kickstarter.

#5 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,671 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

Making good games isn't enough, just ask Interplay. The lead topic on their website news is Battlechess is on Kickstarter.

Oh I know, just a shame that this happened to some talented developers. Obviously not right either way but Epic should benefit from hiring some of those guys.

#6 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,395 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

Yep, Epic hired just about the entire studio (they bought the whole place and are converting it to Epic-Baltimore).

The game is really good, I'm still playing it right now actually. It's kinda sad they got caught in the crosshairs.
@JeremyMStrain

#7 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

Yep, Epic hired just about the entire studio (they bought the whole place and are converting it to Epic-Baltimore).

The game is really good, I'm still playing it right now actually. It's kinda sad they got caught in the crosshairs.

They didn't make the game. They purchased the rights and released it.

#8 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,395 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

They didn't make the game. They purchased the rights and released it.

I'm not talking about 38 studios, they did nothing, Big Huge Games in Timonium made the game, and are the studio that Epic bought. My company was going to re-do their offices (A/V stuff) but they squashed that plan back in March because they were out of money.
@JeremyMStrain

#9 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

I'm not talking about 38 studios, they did nothing, Big Huge Games in Timonium made the game, and are the studio that Epic bought. My company was going to re-do their offices (A/V stuff) but they squashed that plan back in March because they were out of money.

Ah, Gotcha.

#10 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,395 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

Ah, Gotcha.

Yeah, confusing cause 38 studios got all the press because they were tied to Schilling, but it was the local studio here that did all the work. Last I talked to those guys, Epic was sending them to NC to train and get acclimated while they redo the studio here and then sending them back.
@JeremyMStrain

#11 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

As an avid nerd and RPG fan, i thought the game kinda sucked. Just wasn't too fulfilling.
Also I am not the biggest fan of Schilling. He gets everything he deserves.

#12 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,395 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

As an avid nerd and RPG fan, i thought the game kinda sucked. Just wasn't too fulfilling.
Also I am not the biggest fan of Schilling. He gets everything he deserves.

I'm a big gameplay guy, and the gameplay was top notch. I love action RPG and loot-fest games, which is pretty much all this is. If you went in thinking it was going to be Final Fantasy I'm sure it was disappointing, but if you like that specific Genre: Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate, etc. it was really good I thought.
@JeremyMStrain

#13 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

I'm a big gameplay guy, and the gameplay was top notch. I love action RPG and loot-fest games, which is pretty much all this is. If you went in thinking it was going to be Final Fantasy I'm sure it was disappointing, but if you like that specific Genre: Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate, etc. it was really good I thought.

Yea maybe shouldn't have said it "sucked". It was alright.
I probably will play it again though since that's generally what I do.

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

ESPN: Curt Schilling sued over loan

http://espn.go.com/b...-loan-guarantee
@levineps

1 user(s) are reading this topic