#161 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:07 AM

I really hate that in allowed myself to get into this conversation. The PC crowd is just so unbearable.

It's just sad that this is solely a matter of political correctness to you.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#162 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:10 AM

From 1900 to 1955, Republicans governed Maryland for 12 years.

#163 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:14 AM

What's sad is how pathetic this country has become. Even 20 years ago, you didn't hear about this stuff. But the younger people in this country care more about their personal causes than very important things.

Let's have a rally for gay marriage but ignore the economy! Woohoo!

It's pathetic.

Btw, I don't even have an actual opinion on this exact issue. I really don't care either way. It's really not important.

It's important to be informed and from that information, you can judge things on your own merit. The idea that your cause has to be supported by something being taken down is what is sad to me.

But hey have at it. Arrange a sit down, go march and do whatever else you feel is appropriate.

#164 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:19 AM

How should history look back on Lance Armstrong? As someone who was a complete asshole to so many people or as a guy who did great things for cancer research?

To me, he should be viewed as both. Him being a piece of shit to so many doesn't take away from the money he raised and things he did for cancer research.

To me, that is more important than him being a jerk but you don't just push the idea of him being a jerk under the rug and forget about it.

If someone wanted to name some cancer facility/hospital after him, I would support that.

#165 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:20 AM

Rob, if you were anything other than mainstream, you wouldn't feel the way you do about what's important and what isn't. But you're white, straight, etc.... So of course you don't care about any of this stuff or don't feel it's important. You'd be completely full of shit to say that if you weren't white or weren't straight, that this stuff still isn't important.

BTW, I really don't know where I stand on this Byrd being renamed thing. I see both sides of it.
  • Oriole85 likes this

#166 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:25 AM

What's sad is how pathetic this country has become. Even 20 years ago, you didn't hear about this stuff. But the younger people in this country care more about their personal causes than very important things.

Let's have a rally for gay marriage but ignore the economy! Woohoo!

It's pathetic.

Btw, I don't even have an actual opinion on this exact issue. I really don't care either way. It's really not important.

It's important to be informed and from that information, you can judge things on your own merit. The idea that your cause has to be supported by something being taken down is what is sad to me.

But hey have at it. Arrange a sit down, go march and do whatever else you feel is appropriate.

Just because you can only focus on a few issues at a time, don't assume that's the case for others. ;) The economy isn't being ignored.

That young people are having a lot of conversations about race and look at our history with a skeptical eye is a fantastic thing.

It amazes that someone would be sad about the taking down of the Confederate flag from a statehouse. Or just saddens me in the case of the racists who are upset over that.

#167 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:26 AM

How should history look back on Lance Armstrong? As someone who was a complete asshole to so many people or as a guy who did great things for cancer research?

To me, he should be viewed as both. Him being a piece of shit to so many doesn't take away from the money he raised and things he did for cancer research.

To me, that is more important than him being a jerk but you don't just push the idea of him being a jerk under the rug and forget about it.

If someone wanted to name some cancer facility/hospital after him, I would support that.

Both is the right answer.

I'm not going to support the hospital though, it shouldn't be hard to find someone who wasn't such an asshole.

#168 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:27 AM

Rob, if you were anything other than mainstream, you wouldn't feel the way you do about what's important and what isn't. But you're white, straight, etc.... So of course you don't care about any of this stuff or don't feel it's important. You'd be completely full of shit to say that if you weren't white or weren't straight, that this stuff still isn't important.

BTW, I really don't know where I stand on this Byrd being renamed thing. I see both sides of it.

When I say it's not important, I mean compared to larger things.

I think the gay marriage debate is stupid. Who gives a fuck who marries who? It's stupid. But the fact that people care so much more about that than they do the safety of this country or something like that is just as bad as the people who are against it.

Here's what I want to know. If Byrd was black but still supported segregation, would that make this different?

#169 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:30 AM

There certainly are sides to this and I don't mean to portray it otherwise. You can argue about the positives from his life for sure. I personally don't feel they are enough based on what I know to outweigh the strong negative that is even worse in this case imo based on the demographics of the players that play in that stadium as well as the student body.

#170 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:31 AM

When I say it's not important, I mean compared to larger things.

I think the gay marriage debate is stupid. Who gives a fuck who marries who? It's stupid. But the fact that people care so much more about that than they do the safety of this country or something like that is just as bad as the people who are against it.

Here's what I want to know. If Byrd was black but still supported segregation, would that make this different?

So prior to the Supreme Court ruling... if you're gay and can't be formally recognized by the establishment as being married to your partner... you're supposed to care more about protecting that establishment than you are about the fact that said establishment is actively prohibiting you from being who you are? That makes no sense.

#171 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:33 AM

Btw, I didn't know anything about Bryd before this, so this conversation is what has led to an examination of history in this case. So that's a good thing.

#172 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:40 AM

From 1900 to 1955, Republicans governed Maryland for 12 years.

Four of the last ten Maryland governors have been Republican. Bunch-a unicorns, they are :)

@DJ_McCann

#173 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:44 AM

So prior to the Supreme Court ruling... if you're gay and can't be formally recognized by the establishment as being married to your partner... you're supposed to care more about protecting that establishment than you are about the fact that said establishment is actively prohibiting you from being who you are? That makes no sense.

It didn't prohibit you from being who you are...it prohibited you to marry someone. Huge difference.

And yes, the country as whole and everything that goes into it is more important than the small percent who wanted to marry the same sex.

People become selfish in their own issues and ignore the bigger picture way too often IMO.

I will give you an example...Obama won Ohio in the last election in large part because of one of the counties had a ton of automobile workers. Those people said they voted for Obama because they felt he was good to their industry.

Now, what I don't know is do they feel he was the better person for the job...maybe they did, I don't know. But the fact that there #1 reason was that is very selfish IMO.

Another example during the last election...heard Geraldo on the radio talk about how he felt Romney was better for defense, the economy, etc...but that Obama was more friendly to immigrants( he's from PR I believe) and that's why he was voting for Obama. To me, that's just insane and selfish.

If I don't agree with a person but I feel they are best for a job or whatever, I still want them in, even if they don't share the same beliefs I do because making the country better is what is more important.

And yes, allowing gay marriage does go along with making things better IMO....but it's not nearly as big of an issue as it has been made out to be IMO.

#174 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:46 AM

Is a corporate CEO who voted for a republican due to corporation tax cuts selfish?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#175 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:48 AM

Btw, im sorry...not trying to make this political. Was just answering Rickers question and to me, it goes back to the larger, big picture point about this stuff.

All it takes is a small percentage of people to get up in arms about something anymore for everyone to scream change it!!!

I just hate that.

#176 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:49 AM

Is a corporate CEO who voted for a republican due to corporation tax cuts selfish?

Anyone who votes for a candidate for their own personal gain, even if they feel the other candidate is better to run this country, is selfish. I don't care who you vote for or what side you are on.

#177 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:56 AM

Anyone who votes for a candidate for their own personal gain, even if they feel the other candidate is better to run this country, is selfish. I don't care who you vote for or what side you are on.

Ok. Not even disagreeing with you. Just curious.

@bopper33

#178 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:58 AM

The one that gets me is getting offended about sports mascots. To the point where you feel compelled to rally at games.

You really don't have anything better to do with your time? The fact that Snyder won't give in to these nincompoops is his one redeeming quality as owner.

@bopper33

#179 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:00 PM

You say "for their own personal gain" like being permitted to marry the person you love in this country is some nice-to-have, but not need-to-have type of thing. Really? This is America, and we shouldn't be demanding constitutional equality for those not in the mainstream? I just disagree with you about how important it is. And that's across the board. How we treat the poor, how we treat people who are "different" than mainstream, how we have different rules for big corporations and the uber rich. And people want to get caught up in nation building. I say fix the inside of the house before trying to go out and fix everything else.
  • mweb08 likes this

#180 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:03 PM

You say "for their own personal gain" like being permitted to marry the person you love in this country is some nice-to-have, but not need-to-have type of thing. Really? This is America, and we shouldn't be demanding constitutional equality for those not in the mainstream? I just disagree with you about how important it is. And that's across the board. How we treat the poor, how we treat people who are "different" than mainstream, how we have different rules for big corporations and the uber rich. And people want to get caught up in nation building. I say fix the inside of the house before trying to go out and fix everything else.

Let's say you are gay.

You have 2 options:

Candidate A says you can get married.

Candidate B says you can't get married but you feel that this candidate is better in terms of the economy, health care, protecting the country, spending, immigration, etc....

Which candidate do you think you would vote for?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=