#2 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:29 PM

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."--Douglas Adams.

• Mackus likes this
@DJ_McCann

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:12 PM

#4 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:56 AM

Stuff like this always makes me bug out. It's incomprehensible.

#5 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:48 AM

There was a film they used to show at the Smithsonian years ago, no idea what it was called... it started with a scene of somebody sunbathing on the roof of a building... and from there it zoomed way in to the level of atomic particles... then it zoomed back out to the original scene and kept on zooming way out into the universe...

The very spooky thing was that that the super-zoomed-in picture looked *exactly the same* as the super-zoomed-out picture. That kept me up for a week.  

Now, this was a while ago, and I dunno if they knew way less then than they know now... but if those 2 pictures were more-or-less right, then to me that's prima facie evidence of something that we might call God... or we might call it something else, beats me... but whatever you call it, it's something other than "random"...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#6 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:31 PM

There was a film they used to show at the Smithsonian years ago, no idea what it was called... it started with a scene of somebody sunbathing on the roof of a building... and from there it zoomed way in to the level of atomic particles... then it zoomed back out to the original scene and kept on zooming way out into the universe...

The very spooky thing was that that the super-zoomed-in picture looked *exactly the same* as the super-zoomed-out picture. That kept me up for a week.  

Now, this was a while ago, and I dunno if they knew way less then than they know now... but if those 2 pictures were more-or-less right, then to me that's prima facie evidence of something that we might call God... or we might call it something else, beats me... but whatever you call it, it's something other than "random"...

You don't strike me as the religious type Shack.  Don't take that as one way or another just could not imagine you following anything I guess lol.

I will say when I was a kid I had a love scared relationship with space.  I remember mowing and cleaning cars to buy the best telescope I could afford.  I remember being so scared I could not see or comprehend that it could end and then freak out of not knowing if space ended and what would be scary if it did end what would that even look like looking over the end.... 

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:30 PM

You don't strike me as the religious type Shack.  Don't take that as one way or another just could not imagine you following anything I guess lol.

It's not just religious or atheist...

@DJ_McCann

#8 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:12 AM

I was raised to be Catholic (Immaculate Conception, up on the hill in Towson... back when it had a huge marble altar with angels kneeling on each side of it)...  then for a while I was agnostic ("How could anybody possibly know?")... but now I'm not agnostic... based on life experience, I am entirely sure that there's a spiritual dimension that we can't see, that science can't see... I don't think religion has much to do with it though... IMO religion is a human thing... whatever the truth might be, I see no reason to think that our feeble human brains are able to grok it...  

To put it another way, IMO religion is to the invisible spiritual truth much like sabr stuff is to baseball   :wink:

• Cisc-O's likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:07 AM

https://www.facebook...46708738676586/

• Russ likes this

#10 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:46 PM

https://www.facebook...46708738676586/

Well, that certainly makes FA contracts seem important....

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:11 PM

Space is big.

#12 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members