#41 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

Stockton was playing on a fractured leg.

As far as point guards go, the athleticism goes to the 2012 team hands down, but for the assists it's not even close in favor of the '92 team.

I will go to my grave saying that the '92 team wins 90% of the games against the 2012 team. There have been simulations (and no they don't count for anything more substantial than my opinion but at least the computers agree with me) that have the '92 team winning 7 out of 7. Like Jordan said, outside of maybe 3 players, the rest of the 2012 team wouldn't have even made the '92 team.

If I can't use the "anyone on the 2012 team save maybe James Harden makes the 1992 team over Christian Laettner" argument... LeBron would make that team over Bird. I think Kobe would have made the team over Drexler. I think Deron Williams and possibly even Chris Paul could have made the Olympic team in '92 if Johnson didn't have an automatic spot. Durant would make the team over Laettner. I see 4 or 5 of these guys being able to be on the '92 team. Keep in mind that they'd be replacing the older stars and Christian Laettner though.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,398 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

I will go to my grave saying that the '92 team wins 90% of the games against the 2012 team. There have been simulations (and no they don't count for anything more substantial than my opinion but at least the computers agree with me) that have the '92 team winning 7 out of 7. Like Jordan said, outside of maybe 3 players, the rest of the 2012 team wouldn't have even made the '92 team.

I think 90% is a very high estimation. The difference in talent between the '92 team, and the '12 team is less than the '12 team and say Lithuania (who the '12 team beat by 5). Or the Greece team that beat the '06 US team. That Greek team had zero NBA players and still found a way to beat the US.

Have to think that more than 10 times, the '12 team would find a way to win.

#43 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

I don't think Ewing and Robinson would have much trouble with Howard (who I assume by default would have to start at center). Now Bosh might have presented a problem.

Your point about the '12 team having difficulty with Ewing and Robinson is correct, but it wouldn't be if Howard was healthy. That's why his loss is so important to this discussion. Howard and Chandler are top notch defenders and while not guys that would post up much against Ewing and David, they would contain them and would at least create a push in rebounding from the position.

#44 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:35 PM

Magic was retired and not at peak level, but he was still great and worthy of being on the team.

The Dream Team PG's would get destroyed by dribble penetration, though.

The current team would also possess the edge in outside shooting. The Dream Team's best shooters (Bird, Mullin, Stockton) would be defensive liabilities against James, Durant, Anthony, and the PG's.

#45 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,651 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

Anyone that thinks that DRob and Ewing would just dominate Dwight Howard and Chandler don't follow today's NBA.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#46 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,651 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

Stockton was playing on a fractured leg.

As far as point guards go, the athleticism goes to the 2012 team hands down, but for the assists it's not even close in favor of the '92 team.

If I may ask, how old are you? And outside of Jazz games how much NBA do you watch these days?

@bopper33

#47 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,651 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

Here's the problem. We as sports fans tend to romanticize the past. If you believed everything you read about Michael Jordan, you'd believe he never missed a shot. Yes, he'd be the best player on the floor but you know what? LBJ would be the 2nd best player on the floor and you could make a legitimate case that Durant would be the 3rd best player on the floor.

We use terms like "Dream Team" and think back to those guys and, I suppose, remember them as infalliable (sp)?

Magic Johnson is my 2nd favorite player of all time (Kareem) and I love the Lakers. But you know what? He sucked defensively, especially later in his career. The PGs on the 2012 team would have owned him.

I'll concede that the 2012 team without Howard is at a disadvantage down low but for the purposes of this exercise (which really is was 1992 better than the current crop of 2012 Americans) Howard should count. And there's no way that Ewing and Robinson would just do whatever they want. Howard is an elite defender, maybe the best defensive center since Hakeem. Calling him "soft" is just laughable.

My point is, don't put the 1992 team on some pedestal because they played a long time ago and have all these hall of famers. Look at it objectively.

What's funny is, I believe for sure that the 1992 team would win a best of 7 series, but 90% of the games?? Come on!
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

@bopper33

#48 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

Here's the problem. We as sports fans tend to romanticize the past. If you believed everything you read about Michael Jordan, you'd believe he never missed a shot. Yes, he'd be the best player on the floor but you know what? LBJ would be the 2nd best player on the floor and you could make a legitimate case that Durant would be the 3rd best player on the floor.

We use terms like "Dream Team" and think back to those guys and, I suppose, remember them as infalliable (sp)?

Magic Johnson is my 2nd favorite player of all time (Kareem) and I love the Lakers. But you know what? He sucked defensively, especially later in his career. The PGs on the 2012 team would have owned him.

I'll concede that the 2012 team without Howard is at a disadvantage down low but for the purposes of this exercise (which really is was 1992 better than the current crop of 2012 Americans) Howard should count. And there's no way that Ewing and Robinson would just do whatever they want. Howard is an elite defender, maybe the best defensive center since Hakeem. Calling him "soft" is just laughable.

My point is, don't put the 1992 team on some pedestal because they played a long time ago and have all these hall of famers. Look at it objectively.

What's funny is, I believe for sure that the 1992 team would win a best of 7 series, but 90% of the games?? Come on!

I'm not romanticizing them....they were just flat out better ball players.

I don't think people remember how good Malone and Barkley were in their primes...or how dominant Ewing and Robinson were.

If anything, we are in a society where people forget about the past and have the what have you done for me lately attitude.

Athleticism and speed are great...but pure talent always wins.

Now, I do think the 2012 could beat the 1992 team and I do think if you add in some of the injured guys, that the talent gap closes.
  • Dr. FLK likes this

#49 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

I'm not romanticizing them....they were just flat out better ball players.

I don't think people remember how good Malone and Barkley were in their primes...or how dominant Ewing and Robinson were.

If anything, we are in a society where people forget about the past and have the what have you done for me lately attitude.

Athleticism and speed are great...but pure talent always wins.

Now, I do think the 2012 could beat the 1992 team and I do think if you add in some of the injured guys, that the talent gap closes.

People may forget how good guys from the real old days are, but not guys from the 80's and 90's. Many of those guys are romanticized.

Malone and Barkley were great. Howard is better than Ewing was imo and by a good margin. 92' Robinson and Howard would be roughly even.

If Howard and Wade were healthy along with Stockton to make things fair, I'd say the top 10 players would be split evenly between the teams. I'd also take the current team at PG, SF (by far), and PF (LBJ at PF) over the Dream Team. SG would be the big edge for the Dream Team and they'd have the edge at C because Ewing is better than Chandler by a large margin.

#50 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

People may forget how good guys from the real old days are, but not guys from the 80's and 90's. Many of those guys are romanticized.

Malone and Barkley were great. Howard is better than Ewing was imo and by a good margin. 92' Robinson and Howard would be roughly even.

If Howard and Wade were healthy along with Stockton to make things fair, I'd say the top 10 players would be split evenly between the teams. I'd also take the current team at PG, SF (by far), and PF (LBJ at PF) over the Dream Team. SG would be the big edge for the Dream Team and they'd have the edge at C because Ewing is better than Chandler by a large margin.

I think one huge difference is Scottie and MJ would be the best 2 defenders on the court and their ability to go after whoever they would guard would really help the dream team.

#51 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

I think one huge difference is Scottie and MJ would be the best 2 defenders on the court and their ability to go after whoever they would guard would really help the dream team.

James can defend about as well as them and Howard is one of the top defensive centers ever.

Who would you have MJ and Scottie primarily guard?

I should add that the primary lineup would be Paul, Kobe/Wade, Durant, James, Howard. Melo and Love would probably get the next most minutes and then either Westbrook or Williams.

#52 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

James can defend about as well as them and Howard is one of the top defensive centers ever.

Who would you have MJ and Scottie primarily guard?

I should add that the primary lineup would be Paul, Kobe/Wade, Durant, James, Howard. Melo and Love would probably get the next most minutes and then either Westbrook or Williams.

LeBron is close but not quite at their level..yet.

I would assume that Pippen would be on LBJ and MJ would take Kobe/Wade.

Durant would be the real tough cover IMO.

Both Ewing and Robinson could pull Howard away for the rim. They each had a mid range game.

#53 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

LeBron is close but not quite at their level..yet.

I would assume that Pippen would be on LBJ and MJ would take Kobe/Wade.

Durant would be the real tough cover IMO.

Both Ewing and Robinson could pull Howard away for the rim. They each had a mid range game.

I think LeBron is at their level, especially when you consider the changes in the rules such as the elimination of hand checks. He's also much more versatile on defense.

Well that would leave Charles/Malone on Durant, which I think would be a big problem for the Dream Team.

Yeah, they could pull him a little a way, but Howard is tremendous at recovering to his man or to penetration.

Which leads me to my next point. The starting lineup for the Dream Team has no respectable 3 point shooters, which didn't matter against who they were playing against, but would be a serious issue vs this team since they'd be able to pack it in defensively with great athletes.

#54 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,398 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

Well that would leave Charles/Malone on Durant, which I think would be a big problem for the Dream Team.

I would think Durant would get his points, but that part of his scoring would be mitigated, because he would be in foul-trouble trying to deal with the strength of Barkley or Malone in the paint.

#55 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

I would think Durant would get his points, but that part of his scoring would be mitigated, because he would be in foul-trouble trying to deal with the strength of Barkley or Malone in the paint.

James would be on Barkley/Malone. Durant would be on Pippen.

#56 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

Yep...I don't think some are giving enough credit to the incredible talent of the 92 dream team.

#57 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

Yep...I don't think some are giving enough credit to the incredible talent of the 92 dream team.

See above. Why in earth would Durant D up Malone/Barkley?

#58 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

See above. Why in earth would Durant D up Malone/Barkley?

It doesn't really matter...there are lineup nightmares all over the place.

The only guys on the 2012 team who could hold their own are LBJ and Paul.

Even Kobe, as good as he has been,would get torched by MJ.

And btw, I think LBJ would want to guard MJ.

#59 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,398 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

James would be on Barkley/Malone. Durant would be on Pippen.

Ahh, that makes more sense. I disagree with SG, I think Pippen would be on Durant. Durant could take Pippen into the post, but Pippen would be tough to deal with on the wing - even with Durant able to shoot over him.

That would leave Charles and Malone on James. Physical match-ups, with James being the high-flyer.

Fun to think about. I do think the '92 team was great... but also think the current day stars deserve more credit then they are getting from many (not here, but nationally).

#60 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

Ahh, that makes more sense. I disagree with SG, I think Pippen would be on Durant. Durant could take Pippen into the post, but Pippen would be tough to deal with on the wing - even with Durant able to shoot over him.

That would leave Charles and Malone on James. Physical match-ups, with James being the high-flyer.

Fun to think about. I do think the '92 team was great... but also think the current day stars deserve more credit then they are getting from many (not here, but nationally).

It makes sense to have Pippen on Durant but I think they would want Pippens size and strength on LBJ...and Pippen would want that matchup. He was an elite defender.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=